Fenix TK10 Thermal paste?

Mirko

Newly Enlightened
good morning experts

I have a Fenix TK10 and would like to ask a couple of questions:

the flashlight has gone trough 3 sets of batteries, I guess no more than 3 hours. The LED LENS has turned yellowish, is that OK?
Guessed the new was perfectly transparent...

I noticed that the LED IC is not very well coupled with its aluminum case
I put some termal paste around it to improve heat transmission
The paste is the one used to couple processors with heat sinks, fairly expensive and non electrically conductive, is this OK?
(red arrow)
TK10A.JPG
http://www.crossbow-review.com/exchange/TK10A.JPG

Should I put some more of this stuff where the LED module couples with the front cone?
Your observations are welcome
thanks

best regards
Mirko

Marduke

Flashaholic
The LED sits on an aluminum pedestal directly under it. The yellow you are seeing is the phosphor on and around the LED itself under the dome.

I would apply some superglue to the external threads of the module which mate up with the head and leave it as-is.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Marduke said the LED is glued on a pedestal in the middle so the heat transfer should be pretty good. The added thermal paste is not going to improve it by much.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thermal paste only works for what it was intended for when it is directly between 2 components that need to have heat transfer. Slathering it all over an aluminum heatsink around the LED doesn't do anything for the LED.

Battery consumption at full power mode is pretty fast for that model. Typically 1.5 hours is normal. If you are not using the best of primary batteries, it could be less. If you are using some rechargeable 123's that only have 750 to 800mAH rating on them, your lucky you get that.

You didn't mention what brand of battery you were using to get 1 hour run time per set.