Klarus        

Thread: Just ordered a P7 drop-in...

Default Just ordered a P7 drop-in...

...to fit in my never before modded Maglite 6D, this is the product I'm talking about:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14413

Now my questions

What lens do I have to use? The standard one will melt, right? Can I use an aspherical one? Can I continue to use standard disposable D batteries?
    Is the 900 lumen value pretty realistic or I'll get 500 lumen at best?

Thanks

Default Re: Just ordered a P7 drop-in...

It should be able to reach about 700 lumens, I seem to remember cree rating the c-bin as 700-900 lumens. Someone on the DX forum said the module didn't perform well unless driven in the 7.2-8.4v range.

I don't know anything about aspherical lenses, but I like the idea of combining one with a P7 to increase throw.

Do not use it more than 5 minutes continously. This drop-in was designed for WF-500 (and higher) flashlights. You won't have any heatsinking using it in your Mag.

Aloha Tachikoma,

You can use the factory lens without worrying if it will melt. I still use my stock lens but changed the reflector to the SMO from Kai. You can purchase a clear glass lens from lighthound and may get a 5% change in output.

As for the aspherical lens, it looks neat but leaves alot to be desired at a distance. The LED has a cross in it because it is a four die LED. At a distance, it kind of looks like a bright window. The cross makes for dark lines in the beam.

As for using standard alkalines, hard to say. Depends on the unit itself. Your 6D will be driving it at 9V against its 8.4V rating. With switch resistance, drop in resistance, tailcap resistance, you "MIGHT" be ok.

As for output, calculate about 70% of the rated bulb lumens. Around 630, so theoretically pretty bright! Good luck with the drop in! It would be nice to get some beamshots and installed pictures.

Aloha,

jag

Quote Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
    ...to fit in my never before modded Maglite 6D, this is the product I'm talking about:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14413

Now my questions

What lens do I have to use? The standard one will melt, right? Can I use an aspherical one? Can I continue to use standard disposable D batteries?
    Is the 900 lumen value pretty realistic or I'll get 500 lumen at best?

Thanks
    McG/TB Ti 2AA LunaSol 27, McLuxIII Ti-PD, Nitecore D10, SF RPM U2, G2, AspheriMag3D Q5, Uluapoundr P7, Fenix L2D Q5, LD20, EO1 blue, purple, Hawaiian Punch Monkey Fist Creator

Thanks, I'll post beamshots as soon as I receive it (DX shipping usually takes 35 days for me ).
    Not considering the window effect, would the aspherical lens double the throw?

A P4 with an aspherical lens gives a beam like this:

I don't know what difference the extra size of the P7 emitter makes to the ability of the lens to focus the beam, but I'm certainly interested in finding out.

Tachikoma,

At the very least double!

Aloha,

jag

Quote Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
    Thanks, I'll post beamshots as soon as I receive it (DX shipping usually takes 35 days for me ).
    Not considering the window effect, would the aspherical lens double the throw?
    McG/TB Ti 2AA LunaSol 27, McLuxIII Ti-PD, Nitecore D10, SF RPM U2, G2, AspheriMag3D Q5, Uluapoundr P7, Fenix L2D Q5, LD20, EO1 blue, purple, Hawaiian Punch Monkey Fist Creator

Kerch!

This should be the spot pattern, look at the first photo
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=24
    I've decided not to order the lens for now, but if the throw is too short with the standard Mag's one I'll do it later.
    Edit
    At the very least double!
    Then I think it'll be a must buy
    Last edited by Tachikoma; 09-08-2008 at 11:03 AM.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...52#post2546052

Here is a white wall picture of an aspheric P7. Post #9.

Aloha,

jag

How many lux at 1m do you think a focussed P7 would project?

I seem to remember some of the better throwers like the Tiablo A9 with a smooth reflector getting about 20,000 lux at that range.

kerch,

I am not sure of the lux readings. I have read that the Cree Q5 aspheric was measured at 50,000 lux at 1 meter. The hotspot on the P7 focused is alot more intense! And larger! I recall LuxLuthor doing a review of the aspheric kits. I do not recall lux readings though...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=202045

Aloha,

jag

Quote Originally Posted by Kerch View Post
    How many lux at 1m do you think a focussed P7 would project?

I seem to remember some of the better throwers like the Tiablo A9 with a smooth reflector getting about 20,000 lux at that range.