When will LEDs be out that you can distinguish all colors with?

passive101

Enlightened
I work on computers every day and with my LED lights it's very hard to tell the difference between wire colors sometimes when they are so close together. Such as RED & ORANGE (And shades or striped w/white)

The light I have now is a Fenix P2D Q5 Premium. I love the little light, but I have to go to a halogen flashlight sometimes to easily and quickly distinguish the colors.

I wear glasses, but I can see colors just fine with florescent, standard bulbs, and halogens. I know LEDs have more blue tint in them, but I also read before they are trying to get them more white and closer to regular bulbs.

I'm simply curious when we can expect them in the size of the P2D.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need a 5A tint, or perhaps even 8A. Much more red in the spectrum, with an incan-ish tint. Output is a bit lower than "conventional" blue-based LED's, but IMO worth the sacrifice. It looks so much more natural :)

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the Luxeom k2 tffc led has a warm tint. Too bad they aren't widely avalible.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
The 2008 Inova T1 uses the K2 TFFC LED, and it's available from battery junction. The tint is fantastic from what I've seen in person; nice and warm with plenty of color separation and a great beam pattern. The only problem is that it's single level, and the output might be too bright for working inside of computer cases.

You might also be interested in reading about the McGizmo Sundrop, since it uses a high CRI emitter and is specifically tailored to offer color rendition similar to noon-day sun.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You can get them now with neutral or warm bin conventional LED's, or by using ones such as the Nichia 083 High CRI LED which is extremely close to sunlight.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get them now with neutral or warm bin conventional LED's, or by using ones such as the Nichia 083 High CRI LED which is extremely close to sunlight.

A LED with a warm tint doesn't necessarily translate into better color rendition. My Rebell 100 P2D has an almost yellow tint, but still doesn't reproduce red tones/pinks any better than a bluer Q5.

The Nichia 083 CRI LED Sundrop, on the other hand also with a golden tint, make those reds and pinks and all shades in between really pop out at you.

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
As has been stated,just because an LED is of a Warm or Neutral tint,does not mean it will reproduce colors accurately(high CRI).

The XR-E's that have been mentioned have a CRI of ~80.Better than the cooler bins,but it still wont reproduce colors as accurately as a High CRI LED,which are over 90 CRI.

There are currently two High CRI LED's available that could be used.

Nichia has a High CRI LED,McGizmo(Don) has used them here in his Sundrop,and even sells the LED's seperately here High CRI Nichias,also a good discussion here High CRI and it sig....

Seoul also has LED's available with High CRI(93).I've used them in a number of hosts,in a Fenix here High CRI L1P,and in another which would be perfect for what your doing,this High CRI MiniMag LED

Either of these LED's will accomplish what your asking,the downside is lower output compared to other LED's,but in the environment your working with,these will work great.

-Michael

TexLite

Enlightened
The warm Crees will make it easy to distinguish red and orange.

Yes,they will make it easier to distinguish colors than the cooler bins.

But they will not render completely accurate colors,that statement is misleading.

In a normal application,I would suggest the Neutral or Warm White XR-E's as well because of their higher output,but in this situation,the OP needs to see all colors accurately,something the Cree's won't do,at this point in time anyway.

-Michael

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,they will make it easier to distinguish colors than the cooler bins.

But they will not render completely accurate colors,that statement is misleading.

In a normal application,I would suggest the Neutral or Warm White XR-E's as well because of their higher output,but in this situation,the OP needs to see all colors accurately,something the Cree's won't do,at this point in time anyway.

-Michael
I completely agree with you. Both of us have the high CRI seouls and warm white Crees if I remember correctly. For what this guy is doing he needs the high CRI SSC and not the Cree. The warm/neutral Crees are much better than their cool white brothers but there still would not be enough balance in the spectrum with them to be judging red from orange.

SemiMan

Banned
Don't bet on OLED....they are currently RGB and to that end, do not have good CRI. Perhaps when they start being a mix of 5+ colors of LEDs, then they will be truly high CRI.

TexLite

Enlightened
I don't know when but I too am waiting for them.

Sarge,they're available already,see the links in post #8 above.

I completely agree with you. Both of us have the high CRI seouls and warm white Crees if I remember correctly. For what this guy is doing he needs the high CRI SSC and not the Cree. The warm/neutral Crees are much better than their cool white brothers but there still would not be enough balance in the spectrum with them to be judging red from orange.

Thanks saabluster for your objectivity.

-Michael

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I work on computers every day and with my LED lights it's very hard to tell the difference between wire colors sometimes when they are so close together. Such as RED & ORANGE (And shades or striped w/white)

The light I have now is a Fenix P2D Q5 Premium. I love the little light, but I have to go to a halogen flashlight sometimes to easily and quickly distinguish the colors.

I wear glasses, but I can see colors just fine with florescent, standard bulbs, and halogens. I know LEDs have more blue tint in them, but I also read before they are trying to get them more white and closer to regular bulbs.

I'm simply curious when we can expect them in the size of the P2D.

I know my EOS 2 headlamp with Rebel LED has a nice warm tint. I don't know if other Rebel LEDs flashlights are the same.

Marduke

Flashaholic
We're not talking about critiquing a painting here, we're talking about being able to tell the difference between an orange and red wire. A warm LED will work just fine for that.

TexLite

Enlightened
We're not talking about critiquing a painting here, we're talking about being able to tell the difference between an orange and red wire. A warm LED will work just fine for that.

The OP asked specifically about LED's that could be used to distinguish between colors.

Just any Warm white LED wont do this.Thats a fact according to the manufacturer,not some baseless opinion or incorrect generalization.

In an electrical or computer panel it is very hard to distinguish between all the colors of wires,especially the bands or stripes.Obviously that makes it important,hence the OP's question.

-Michael

Marduke

Flashaholic
Being able to represent precise color hues and being able to tell the difference between two separate colors is a completely different problem. The solution for one is overkill for the other.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: If you used a warm LED along with a cooler LED, would that presumably more balanced white light give better color rendition?