1W Luxeon mod needed

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in doing a 1W Luxeon Mod but don't know where to start.
What I need is the simplest mod possible. I'd like to be able to buy several colors of 1W LS LED's (white, <font color="blue">royal blue</font>, <font color="cyan">cyan</font>, etc.) and put them into a donor body. I'd like to be able to easily swap out the LS for a different color without having to buy a donor light for each planned color LS LED (not YET, anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

What body is a good candidate for this?
Where's the best (cheapest) place to buy 1W LS LED's?

Or, is there another solution I'm overlooking?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want simple, I'd suggest a resistored version in a four cell light.

Get a 'six volt' light that suits you from 'six volt lanterns' on one end to four AA cell lights (and maybe two 123s?) on the other. Add a resistor to keep the current in line, say ten ohms at two (or more) watts and watch your polarity and you're 'good to go'. You can fiddle the value (what we call 'trimming') to get just the current you want with the battery you end up with, but given reasonable heatsinking, ten ohms should keep you safe enough. Worst case will be with red LEDs (which have the lowest Vf).

A Luxeon and a resistor. About as simple as it gets.

Doug Owen

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, would a 4 cell maglite be the best rather than a Dorcy Boss or Dorcy Cool Blue LED 4AA light because they're plastic?

What is involved in modding the post the PR bulb on the maglite plugs into?