Questions about Solarforce L2 R2 specifications

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I'm a new member here. I've been lurking around, and the more I read stuff from this forum the more I want to get those nice flashlights :)

I have some questions about the Solarforce L2 R2 version, particularly the 5-mode version.

Some eBay vendors suggest that it has HI, MEDIUM, LOW modes, plus SOS and Strobe. Some vendors (like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280264157728) show the High as 300, medium as 150 and low as 20 lumens.

Other vendors (http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-5-Ou...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) show that the flashlight as having 300, 195, 125 lumens.

I'm totally confused. The official website doesn't include any useful information at all.

If you own the L2 R2 5-mode version could you please tell me about the runtimes with the different modes and also the CORRECT LUMEN COUNTS?

Believe me I've tried to find it all over the internet and also on CandlePower forums but no one seems to have provided what I wish to know. Any other information pertaining to this light is also appreciated (also, what color did you get?)

(Ideally I prefer one with a low mode that lasts a long time while having a high mode that can be very powerful. If the "low" is 125 lumens I think it's not suitable for me).

Which vendor on eBay would you suggest?

Thank you, and I look forward to playing with flashlights and talking about them with you guys.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW, I have DX14442 which is a solarforce 5-mode, Cree R2-WC,Memory module.

I think its around 180/120/50 Lumens, but thats a ball-park estimate. Low mode is a little less than my surefire P60-Xenon, medium is on par with a Lowes task force and high is a little more than my 11836. Nothing scientific, just visual comparisons.

Solarforce specs are pretty meaningless IMHO.

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply, Kramer. If it's around 180/120/50 that would suit me fine. Any (rough) ideas as to the runtime for the different modes?

Would other owners/users like to chip in?

TDKKP

Enlightened
:welcome:

I have a sand Solarforce 5 modes and I think mine is 240/120/40. It's brighter than M60 at high, about the same with 120P in medium, and just guess about low. But that's just mine only because I have a strange one: ordered 1 mode only but they shipped the 5 modes with batteries/charger and the tail cap is working like a forward clicky.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

@kramer5150:

Please can you write something about the UI of the Solarforce?

Does it have momentary on? How to switch/circle through the brightness levels? What about memory mode? And - at last - how fast is the strobe?

Thank you,

Stephan

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted this info many times, here it is again.

"Before I lose the data I measured my Solarforce R2 5 mode pill inside a Surefire 6P host with 2 new Surefire batteries.

At high mode it came on at 160 lumens and settled in around 155 lumens.
in medium mode it came on at 87 and settled in to around 85 lumens.

in low mode it was 37 lumens. I will try and get it shipped to you tomorrow or next Monday, keep it as a reference. "
That is what I sent to precisionworks to calibrate his own IS that I measured on a calibrated unit at work.

Here is one of the links. If you search in key words for Solarforce R2 lumens you will find them but you will have to wade through others.

Do not believe the posted lumens ratings on Solarforce lights published on Ebay or any website at all.

The single mode R2 pill is at best 220 lumens, I measured it in an integration sphere myself several times, at work. The 5 mode pill has much less output. I believe they limit the total current to get the 5 mode operation to work without burning up the driver chip that does it. I had at least 2 of the 5 mode pills, maybe three, none were even up to 200 lumens on high mode.

as they say in New Joisey, fawgettabbboouuuut it. It ain't happening. But it is a useful multimode light.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200334&highlight=Solarforce+R2+lumens&page=2

here are more real lumens readings to compare to

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=203822

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, McGman, for your response. Do your 5-mode R2s have memory (so you don't have to cycle through all five modes)?

Overall would you recommend the light? Good? Excellent? So so? Did you get one with the stainless steel bezel? They look really good but are expensive and I'm torn. I'm just a budding flashaholic. A $25 flashlight used to be high-end for me. And now I'm looking at spending 30 to 40 on one! Plus the more expensive CR123 batteries...

I'm really close to plunging in and getting one... I'm deciding between all black and all black with a steel bezel.

Any one wants to comment on the looks?? Which one is nicer?

highseas

Newly Enlightened
One more question if I may: could you give me a rough ideas about the runtimes for each mode?

I really want one with a high power beam (which to me means anything more than 150 lumens in a small flashlight like this one), along with a low that can last a long time so I can just have one single dependable flashlight.

Yes, please tell me about the runtimes if you have some rough ideas. Anybody.

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,
I have the Solarforce R2 5-mode. I would highly recommend it. I think I got mine for 24 bucks, which was definitely a bargain. The machining and finish of the light is very nice, far above many of the other knock-off, or cheap-o lights I have ordered from DX or KD. I can't really comment on the runtime as I haven't used the first set of batteries yet.
As far as the bezel, I think it is a little on the sharp side. I am not sure if it is removeable or not but I would like to knock the edges down a bit and I may do that.
I plan on getting another one with the single mode R2 since it is brighter, and I wouldn't mind checking out a Malkoff M60 to put in one after they go into production and are hopefully more plentiful and maybe even cheaper who knows.
The light does have memory, at least mine does, it will stay in whatever mode it is in when turned off. E.G. if you are in strobe mode and turn it off, 5 minutes or a day later it will turn on in strobe. Seems like this would have to use some battery juice to maintain the state but I am not sure how much.

HTH
-Jon

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My comment in post 2 above is ONLY for DX14442, which is a Solarforce R2-M P60 drop in module. I can't really comment on the complete light since I don't own one. That being said I do find 14442 very easy to use and operate in a stock 6P with twist cap or a cheap DX reverse click-cap. The last-mode memory works great and it behaves more like a single mode than a multi.

FYI... Lighthound sells solarforce hosts for $24. That includes everything except the drop in module, if solarforce lumen ratings leave you guessing just drop in a malkoff, BOG, or Lumens-factory module and play it safe.

@highseas I get around ~45 minutes off a pair of ultrafire RCR123s on high. Considerably more with the lower modes, although I haven't done any run time testing.

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened
I got my Solarforce L2 with 5-mode R2 dropin a few days ago.
Machining is good, driver efficiency is poor.
With 2 protected RCR123's from AW I get approximately the same output and runtime as with my Nitecore Extreme with only one RCR123:
l2runtimeky8.gif

I could improve the efficiency a bit by replacing the 0.2ohm current sense resistor with a 0.24ohm resistor.

The light does have memory, at least mine does, it will stay in whatever mode it is in when turned off. E.G. if you are in strobe mode and turn it off, 5 minutes or a day later it will turn on in strobe. Seems like this would have to use some battery juice to maintain the state but I am not sure how much.
When switched off it's off - no current flowing.
I think the state is stored in an EEPROM.
Here is a photo of the two boards that form the driver-sandwich:
r2mdropinjw0.jpg

On the smaller board is the PT4105 buck converter.
On the bigger board is an IC marked "K24C02", a serial EEPROM, and an IC without any writing on it, probably a microcontroller.

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses! Also for the runtime graph!

I went ahead and bought a Solarforce L2 R2 5-mode, which comes with 2 Solarforce 3.7 rechargeable CR123 cells and a charger with a car charging kit, all for $37 on eBay (shipping included). I think it was a pretty good deal.

I got the all black one. (I wanted the steel head also, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $50--including the charger).

This is my first ever flashlight that uses CR123 cells. My other top choice would be Fenix L2D Q5, but I think I made a good choice (we'll see).

Another question: Have any of you used a battery extender on the Solarforce L2? Will it negatively affect the bulb or anything? Am I correct that it will simply lengthen the runtime? (I suppose it can also be used on the SureFire 6p, so if you have used the extended with it please share your experiences also).

I'm thinking of this extender:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-ECR-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted about the extenders and allowable voltage drop to the R2 and R2-5 mode as well. The 5 mode unit is only good up to 8.4V max without flickering in the lower modes because the voltage is out of regulation. If you use the externder and go with 3 non rechargeable batteries it will run longer on full power mode and flicker in the lower modes for a while until the battery runs down. If you try and run 3 rechargeables with that unit you will destroy the driver because the voltage starts at over 11VDC. Had you gotten the single mode R2 that takes over 13V, the extender would be just fine. I have at least 5 solarforce hosts, 4 extenders and 1 detonator made for the surefires, I run 2X17500 in most units, 3XRCR123 in some (they stink) and primaries in others. I got rid of all my 5 mode modules because I couldn't really run them without flickering well unless I simply used 2 CR123 primary batteries. I can't stand the flickering in the lower modes.

In theory it should run on 2X17500 but since they hold such a good charge and have great capacity the light always flickered some on the lower modes using a freshly charged pair of these batts.

But fear not. The whole point of having a modular host is that you can run out and by the R2 single mode unit, and the extension tube and run all those configurations I still mentioned when you want, just spend more money.

Then when you want to get serious about all this buy the Malkoff M60, M60F, M60L, and M60LF.

Only then will you know the beginning of good photons.
:naughty::naughty::naughty: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

highseas

Newly Enlightened
Spend more money indeed! Before my recent foray into this world of crazy flashaholic I thought a $30 flashlight was pretty high-end (Maglite would be high-end for me. I have the 3D Maglite and a Mini Maglite and my friends only have the $4 plastic ones! Everything is relative I guess).

I have to do some research on this Malkoff thing that you mentioned. I have seen it mentioned at different places. Can I use it on the body of Solarforce L2?

I can see that this hobby is going to be a huge drain on my meager resources.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
FYI... Lighthound sells solarforce hosts for $24. That includes everything except the drop in module, if solarforce lumen ratings leave you guessing just drop in a malkoff, BOG, or Lumens-factory module and play it safe.
Or one can get the Xenon package on eBay at $11.49 plus a little shipping (for me to Canada $3.00) though the only one I think carries these is hkequipment and the light is under the name of Spiderfire L2 which is still the same light/factory as Solarforce L2.

Too bad the Solarforce/Spiderfire L2 can only take a 17670 without boring in order to take a 18650 or extender with 2x18500.

Last edited:

Roberts30

Enlightened
Or one can get the Xenon package on eBay at $11.49 plus a little shipping (for me to Canada $3.00) though the only one I think carries these is hkequipment and the light is under the name of Spiderfire L2 which is still the same light/factory as Solarforce L2.

Too bad the Solarforce/Spiderfire L2 can only take a 17670 without boring in order to take a 18650 or extender with 2x18500.
Most Solarforce L2's, Including mine are now made to fit two CR123's or one 18650..

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Spiderfires are hit and miss.

I bought 2 from hkequipment. One will take an 18650, the other will only take a 17670.

Between the Solarforce L2 and the Spiderfire L2, the Solarforce is the better of the two IMHO. The Spiderfires make good beater lights.

Both of my Solarforce L2s take 18650 cells.

Last edited: