D10....All Wet?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
What is the water resistance level of the d10, can i submerge it to say 3 meters or will it leak and *poof* turn into a nice paperweight instead of a flashlight. Also what is the waterproofness of the 6p, I've heard it cited that it isn't water proof but I've heard that its water proof to 33 ft......help I'm confused

jake25

Enlightened
3 Meters sounds pretty safe for your D10

I think most lights that are advertised as waterproof can go down to 10 Meters

For the 6P and other SF lights, they are not advertised as waterproof but people have had no issue dunking them in water, or getting rain on them. As far as 10M goes, I'm not sure about that.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your plans? If you're planning to drop it in water perhaps place it in a zip-loc bag just as a precaution.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Yes, many of the lights we use are "waterproof" and would survive most dunkings and extended times in bad weather.

But if you plan to use a light underwater, buy a dive light that is specifically made to be used underwater.

loanshark

Enlightened
Going by memory here but I think IPX7 says 1 meter for 30 minutes. IPX8 (which is what the D10 is rated) is either supposed to be (non specifically) rated for deeper or longer one or both of the two.

3 meters could be pushing it. That's about 9 feet in Ohio...:poke:

There are better choices than the D10 for intentional use underwater anyway. If you decide to go forward make sure your orings are in good shape and well lubed....

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Well I dont know about you loanshark and Gator762 but where I come from 3 meters is basically 10ft. LOL remember this is meters not yards.....anyways Im not planning on diving with it or anything that bad just wanted to make sure that if i drop it in a puddle...ok maybe a puddle wouldnt be 10ft. deep but anyways you know what i mean...........

Marduke

Flashaholic
IPX-8 is defined as anything more than IPX-7, which is 1 meter for 30 minutes. The manufacturer agrees as to how their product exceeds IPX-7, which is why manufacturers vary.

IPX-0
No special protection

IPX-1
Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

IPX-2
Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees - Same as

IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.

IPX-3
Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

IPX-4
Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

IPX-5
Protected against water jets - Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-6
Protected against heavy seas - Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

IPX-7
Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

Refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
http://www.pcenclosures-direct.com/NEMA.html
http://www.hubersuhner.com/mozilla/products/hs-p-rf/hs-p-rf-info/hs-p-rf-info-ip
http://www.aquatext.com/tables/ip_ratings.htm

loanshark

Enlightened
Well I dont know about you loanshark and Gator762 but where I come from 3 meters is basically 10ft. LOL remember this is meters not yards.....anyways Im not planning on diving with it or anything that bad just wanted to make sure that if i drop it in a puddle...ok maybe a puddle wouldnt be 10ft. deep but anyways you know what i mean...........
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you drop it in a puddle you'll be okay... But lubing you orings well is cheap insurance...

Thanks Marduke, That's what I had read, but I couldn't remember where...:crazy: So I guess the real question is what is Nitecore's definition of IPX-8

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
thanks guys....hey has anyone seen one of the new 6pn. I saw one on amazon and wondered what made it so special....someone on here has to kown

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
3 meters could be pushing it. That's about 9 feet in Ohio...:poke:

Living in Alabama, I always felt like we were behind the rest of the country when it came to modern things like the metric system, but around here, 3 meters is closer to 10 feet than 9. . . :nana:

loanshark

Enlightened
Thanks Yucca Patrol I guess next time I try to make a quick joke I'll need to focus more on my acuracy... However I don't think I'm wrong. That is if you asked 100 people in Ohio, (or Alabama for that matter) how many feet 3 meters is, I think 9 would be the number one answer. :nana:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks Yucca Patrol I guess next time I try to make a quick joke I'll need to focus more on my acuracy... However I don't think I'm wrong. That is if you asked 100 people in Ohio, (or Alabama for that matter) how many feet 3 meters is, I think 9 would be the number one answer. :nana:

I think that's optimistic. I think most of the general populous would have trouble even knowing what general size a meter was, or that it's even close to a yard.

DM51

Flashaholic
The IPX standards are pretty well useless for assessing waterproofing, because they are essentially static rather than dynamic tests. In none of them is it specified that the equipment is actually operated during the test, i.e. repeatedly switched on and off.

It is the operation of switches / buttons / twist mechanisms while submerged that is the overhwelming cause of failure and flooding (aside from inadequate, badly-maintained or failed seals/O-rings).

loanshark

Enlightened
I wouldn't call it useless... If a line gets wraped around my propeller in the Gulf of Mexico, and my choices are to try to unwrap it in the dark. Or to turn on my D10 before I get in the water, and leave it on for the duration of the repair. I'm choosing option #2. It's that much less worrisome because there is testing that says it should be okay...

That being said if I had a dive light with me it'd be an easy choice over the D10. Hmm, I've suddenly realized, I don't have a dive light. I must remedy that!!