Fenix L2D, P1D, P2D, P3D being discontinued?

roymail

Enlightened
I was surfing the Fenix website and noticed the following statement for the L2D, P1D, P2D & P3D...

This product has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Limited quantities available.

Ugh, did I miss something?

I edited my OP after finding other lights with the same notice... a change is definitely coming. :huh:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: L2D being discontinued?

Probably just getting rid of the CE variant. This probably means the Q5 is the new standard model, and there will be a new premium model.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got a URL for that?
EDIT: Never mind. It is the Fenix Store site indicating that, not the actual Fenix site.

Too bad they weren't having a blowout sale on them.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ummm! Hopefully Fenix will bring out a L2D-R2 ????
The L2D is a bit of a modern day classic but personally I would prefer if they brought out an entire new light to replace the it keeping all of the good points (regulation, runtime, brightness) and sorting out the not so good points (slippery with a lack of aggressive knurling, no real low mode).

An R2 would be nice too as well as an option of having a "warm" Q2 emitter like the TK20.

Gator762

Enlightened

The L2D {snip} and sorting out the not so good points (slippery with a lack of aggressive knurling,

Ugh. I'm wondering if 'slippery' isn't just an old wive's tale being parroted over and over again here.

I can't see how the L2D is slippery. The different circumferences give plenty to hold on to. In fact, I've used the L1D CE for over a year exclusively as my EDC, used daily at one job. Then at home changing oil on a motorcycle and two cars. I have never dropped it due to a lack of knurling.

Maybe I have super-spidey hands, or maybe it just isn't that slippery, and can even be held with oily hands.

There's a big pro to no aggressive knurling in my book - less aggressive knurling doesn't chew up my dress pants.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ugh. I'm wondering if 'slippery' isn't just an old wive's tale being parroted over and over again here.

I can't see how the L2D is slippery. The different circumferences give plenty to hold on to. In fact, I've used the L1D CE for over a year exclusively as my EDC, used daily at one job. Then at home changing oil on a motorcycle and two cars. I have never dropped it due to a lack of knurling.

Maybe I have super-spidey hands, or maybe it just isn't that slippery, and can even be held with oily hands.

There's a big pro to no aggressive knurling in my book - less aggressive knurling doesn't chew up my dress pants.

1+ I totally agree with you. I have heard similar complaints about the LF5XT which has similar circumference indentations and less aggressive knurling. People comparing the LF5XT to the D10, which has a single circumference and more aggressive knurling, will say the LF5XT is too slippery. I really don't aggree. Holding either the L2D or the LF5XT is similar to gripping a handlebar grip having indentations for your fingers. IMO, it provides much more hold power and comfort than sharper, aggressive knurling. I am sure that these small diameter AA lights were designed with these indentations for grip needs, even though it gives the flashlights a rather ununiform, less sleek look. Sadly, looks or aesthetics sell flashlights more than functional advantages that are not obvious from the appearance; so we may see those indentations go away.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

I like the L2D's smooth surfaces because I can clean off the cave mud much easier.

brucec

Enlightened

I also agree. I have never dropped the L2D due to slipperiness. My unit's primary mode of dropping is rolling off a table. I would be happy if they just put some anti-roll grooves in the head.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive never understood the slippery comments either... Its amazing I can hold a can of soda.. They really should knurl them. :p

While my L2D does not see much use I am sure it would be one of my go to lights during an extended power outage.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd take a L2D with a Q bin around 4,500 Kelvin white shade.

I have a white Coleman with an XR-E. it is a warmer white, but has a sickly green cast. Are warm crees that way?

A Golden Dragon light I have has the nicest neutral white I've seen from a LED flashlight. I'd take that in a L2D.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive never understood the slippery comments either... Its amazing I can hold a can of soda.. They really should knurl them. :p
LOL! I've dropped one or two of them in my time. :grin2:

Its personal preference really, I just prefer aggressive knurling and thats what I would like to see.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a white Coleman with an XR-E. it is a warmer white, but has a sickly green cast. Are warm crees that way?
No not all of them. They can appear greenish, reddish or a slightly yellow tint even - just not quite incan yellow.

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened

From the reports here, it seems like more people drop the aggressively knurled lights than the smooth ones.:ohgeez:
I personally like the feel of the L2D. Can't wait for an R2.

Alec

Newly Enlightened

I have no problem with the grip, never dropped an L1D or L2D from that.

But do suffer with it rollling off tables. Helps if it has the lanyard attached. But one of my 2 lanyards broke (the thin cord is the weak point) so don't have a lanyard for the L1D. :-(

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! I've dropped one or two of them in my time. :grin2:

Its personal preference really, I just prefer aggressive knurling and thats what I would like to see.

I am with you 100%. Love knurling, especially the type on the new Nitecore lights. My point was only that a lighter knurling is not equivalent to trying to hold a slimy hotdog.

Veto

Newly Enlightened

I don't know that it matters whether they have aggressive or smooth knurling. I think a lot of the feelings going one way or another is the current flavor of the week.

What I do know is that cleaning aggressive knurling sucks.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aggressive knurling is far better than smoother lights.

I have put racquet tape on my L2D / L1D to make them easier to grip. The L2D is easier to hold because of the thinner circumference but additional knurling would provide more sure holding.

Holding smooth lights like the L1D / LF5XT is no problem under ideal conditions. But those of use who use the lights in sports conditions (running / rollerblading / wet conditions ) and other less than ideal conditions appreciate the extra traction that knurling provides.

The D10's knurling is what I consider to be perfect. It is a big part of what makes the light so attractive.