Thinking about a Peak Kino Bay Stainless Steel P4

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm thinking about this light because I want the strongest, toughest, rough-n-tumble, bet-your-life-on-it, run-over-by-a-truck, took-a-ICBM-missle-in-the-side, emergency works-no-matter-what light. :)

There is very little useful information about this light on Peak's website (what's new?). Anyone have any experience with it?

I like that I can get it in stainless steel (ultra strong), and I like that it uses ordinary AA batteries (for all the benefits that brings).

I know I can buy it with a SSC P4, but I'm not sure how many lumens it would ultimately be. I don't need it super bright or anything, but I'm at least hoping it would be more than 40 or 50 lumens out the front.

Anyone can offer some advice / experience with this light?

What about the electronics... I heard they are fully potted, but I also heard they aren't very well regulated. Would the electronics be the weakest link in this light?

shomie911

Enlightened
I ordered a HAIII Kino Bay P4 a yesterday.

You probably wouldn't need Stainless Steel in any SHTF scenario as aluminum with an HAIII coating has suited military and law enforcement for years just fine.

I emailed Peak and they told me it runs 5.5 hours to 50% and another 5 hours of useable light after that with the P4 emitter.

On the issue of how much light is being put out the front, I'd like to know as well. They state 450 candlepower, but I have no idea how bright that is.

Based on the runtime (which is fairly ecellent) I'm guessing it will be around 25-35 lumens, which is more than enough in any situation when you actually depend on a flashlight with your life. (stuck in a cave, navigating a pitch black building during a disaster.)

The light should continue to work no matter how much it is abused. I'm really glad it doesn't use a glass lens, this ensures that the lesns won't crack no matter how many times it's dropped from a reasonable height. The electronics are also potted to help cope with shock.

The use of the most common battery in the world, AA cells, also means that you will be able to find and stock up on batteries almost anywhere in the world. They're also extremely cheap. You can go the rechargeable route as well, with an Eneloop.

Plus it's made in the USA and Peak has wonderful customer service.

I'm extremely excited to receive mine and I plan on using it in the same capacity as you, as my ultra-reliable, SHTF, go to light.

yalskey

Enlightened
Yes, thank you for your reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone out there cared.

Actually, I didn't realize you had a similar thread just recently until I posted mine... weird coincidence that light came up on the same day.

I'd prefer the Stainless Steel over the HAIII just because I know it's just way over built and would never dent to bend to anything reasonable or even a bit unreasonable.

I'm not sure the regulation is that great on Peak's lights.

I'm glad they used a plastic lens as well... no chance of it cracking.

I'm on the verge of ordering it. Could you post some pictures and beamshots of yours when you get it so it could help me decide?

Oh, it's 1xAA right?

shomie911

Enlightened
Yes, thank you for your reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone out there cared.

Actually, I didn't realize you had a similar thread just recently until I posted mine... weird coincidence that light came up on the same day.

I'd prefer the Stainless Steel over the HAIII just because I know it's just way over built and would never dent to bend to anything reasonable or even a bit unreasonable.

I'm not sure the regulation is that great on Peak's lights.

I'm glad they used a plastic lens as well... no chance of it cracking.

I'm on the verge of ordering it. Could you post some pictures and beamshots of yours when you get it so it could help me decide?

Oh, it's 1xAA right?

Not many people have experience with Peak flashlights, for whatever reason. I don't understand why Peak doesn't get more attention, they are basically a parallel to the old Arc mindset. They make durable flashlights for reasonable prices (considering they are made in the USA.) They may not throw in P7's and R2's into all their products and say they are the latest "best flashlight" but they use tried and true (and arguably better if you like beam quality) emitters. P4's have a wonderfully smooth beam compared to Q5's and R2's. I already have a Olight M20, which has an R2 in it, so I do think that they are huge evolutions in brightness compared to older emitters, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the slighter older LED generations.

Ya, I guess Stainless Steel is a personal preference. I plan on using mine around mixed company and a solid black HAIII light is fairly inconspicuous, while what appears to be a "chromed out" (silver/flashy) flashlight would attract a fair amount of attention. Not that I wouldn't like the attention :laughing: But you'd probably be fine with the HAIII version unless you're planning on throwing it into the lawn mower regularly. :D

An aluminum light as light as the Peak Kino Bay wouldn't sustain too much damage even when dropped from very high.

I would gladly post a few beamshots and pictures. I ordered it yesterday, it didn't ship today, hopefully tomorrow? I paid for USPS Priority so it should get here within a few days after shipment.

It is 1xAA and takes any kind of regular AA. NIMH, NICD, Lithium primaries. I don't think any AA size battery below 1.7v would hurt the light.

It looks a lot bigger in the pictures than it actually is though. The website says it is a mere 3.78 inches long, so it should fit nicely within the palm of your hand and would be easy to just throw in your backpack or gearbag wherever you go.