LAPD or other California police officers?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. I'm really thinking about applying to join the police force. I know it's a tough, rigorous process. I was just wondering what I need to do and any tips that would helpful in me getting into the academy. Thanks.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Pie. IM'ing you as we speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

V8TOYOTATRK... Wow, that's cool! I've got a clean record...hmm...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a buddy I worked with that tried to get on with CHP. He had a squeaky clen record, except, he was ACCUSED of something when he was in the Air Force. The charge was dropped, but they wouldn't take him due to that.

Ross

Enlightened
ttran97 - If I could help by offering a UK perspective, then feel free to email/PM me. Obviously I cant help on the practical side but maybe I could help in other areas?

Ross

d'mo

Enlightened
ttran97,

Aw C'mon, You just want to be an officer so you can carry multiple flashlights around all day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just Joking! Best of luck! I have great respect for those who protect and serve, not just in law enforcement, but all "protection" and "service" capacities.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo...shhh! Don't tell anyone, but that's true! Imagine being able to walk around with three lights on your belt and not have anyone think you're a weirdo! It's great!

Bowser...thanks for the offer. I wonder just how different it is to be a police officer in Scotland! Do you carry fire arms over there? That must change things completely.

Skankus...well, I've had a couple speeding tickets...hehe. What can I say, I was young and like to drive fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Hopefully that'll be ok though. Never been charged of anything, so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello ttran97 and hello fellow CPFers,

I too want to become a Law Enforcement Officer, but there are so many other branches of law enforcement, that i don't know which one to start with.

The three that i know i am interested in are SDPD (San DIego), California Highway Patrol, or Sheriff Deputy. I was leaning towards becoming a Sheriff Deputy in the San Diego or LA area because i have a friend with some info about correctional deputy Sheriffs that work in the prisons. (Great excuse to use my Tigerlight FBOP) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

ttran, if you want to get some basic information and a feel of what it is like to be a cop, why don't you go to one of your local police stations and sign up for a "ride-along" program, i'm sure every station has one. You basically ride with a cop (in the front seat) for their entire (8 hour) shift. I haven't done it yet, but i plan on signing up during my summer vacation.

Like you, i have an interest in Law Enforcement. It seems like a job that would keep you on your toes...i like that. I had planned on graduating college first before entering law enforcement, but i'm having a hard time with my studies right now, and I feel like i need a change of pace. I think a job in Law Enforcement is it.

I know that there are at least a dozen LEOs on this board....help us out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yea...

The thing i am most worried about are their psychological exams. I'm not crazy or anything (I don't think). It's just that i know some people that don't make it because their psychological tests proved tha they were overly aggressive, or too sensitive.

What kind of person is the "Law" looking for? If i don't pass the psychological exam can i take it again in a couple of months? How is training like? (sounds fun)

I think that's all the questions i have for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
I'm not crazy or anything (I don't think).

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I gotta admit, that made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, Pie was very helpful and we chatted for like six hours about police work. He's such a great guy! I think I'll check out the ride-along when I head back to California.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also ask at the 186thousand board. That seems to have a higher LEO ratio and the folks there are also helpful.

Ross

Enlightened
ttran97
You're right, it does change things completely! We dont have firearms but we do have ARV's (Armed Response Vehicles) that attend incidents when firearms are used or suspected.
I find I can deal with most things using verbal communications (your best weapon), failing that, outnumbering the bad people often helps, CS spray & batn after that!
I have been in the job for 3 years in one of the roughest areas going (have you seen the film Trainspotting? Thats where I work) and I have only used my CS spray once, never had to use my baton.

Just remember, not everyone that you deal with is a baddie!

Ross

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apply to as many places as possible and look into Federal and State agencies, you might want the option of transfering at some point in your career.

Also major cities often recruit nationally. You can apply and don't have to move until you have been accepted for the job.

it's a job where there are always more applicants than openings so you really have to look good to a potential employer. Stay in school even if it is only part-time.

The first time I applied I was accepted but the hiring process took over 2 years! Don't be discouraged.

Good Luck!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfen...thanks for the tip! Man, being a cop would be the ultimate dream job...

Pie...thanks, paypal received! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif