What gives? Why my E1b's output so much better than my G2L

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it.

The beam color on my E1b is very natural where as the G2L is bluish.

The throw on the E1b is a hundred yards or more, and the G2L is about half of that. Granted the G2L has a much wider hotspot, but the spill on the E1b is not much darker.

Size... well that's pretty obvious.

About the only advantage I give to the G2L is runtime (and that is jsut about a wash if you consider the cost per hour of peak runtime. But since you have the option of using the 5 lumen setting for close work, that really becomes a moot point.

I am really worried that I might have found the perfect little light. I don't want to believe it thought since the search for the grail is oh so much fun.

So... what are the odds that the L4a will have as pretty a beam as the E1b?

I've always wanted an L4... Maybe the search isn't over afterall.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The optic in the E1B is more effective at focusing the light than the reflector in the G2L. If the L4a keeps the reflector, its beam will be much more like the G2L than the E1B.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
step 1: take P60L out of G2L and place in trash.

step 2: place Malkoff M60L or M60LL in G2L and you now have what SF SHOULD have made in the first place.

step 3: replace all of your P60 "drop-ins" with Malkoffs.

That's all I have to say about this.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

crocodilo

Enlightened

step 2: place Malkoff M60L or M60LL in G2L and you now have what SF SHOULD have made in the first place.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

I totally agree with steps 1 and 2. Step 3 may be a bit over the edge (considering the kind of money involved), but each has it's own opinion.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Sounds good to me!!

That is what I did. I have 3 6P's and have a M60, M60L and M60LL in them

Although they are not seeing nearly as much activity since I got an E2DL, now that is a great all around light!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think any SF lights is known for efficiency, P60L apparently is the bottom of the barrel. It's actually quite a bit worse than the luxeon TFFC, which is regarded as inefficient.

knightrider

Enlightened
Wow. You guys are kind of hard on the P60L. I don't find it that bad at all. Much better than my newer SF crees - L1, E2L and E1L. Not ringy and crappy looking, the P60L is more like a Mcgizmo beam with nice spot and flood.

I haven't been very impressed at all with the beam quality of SFs with optics versus reflectors. Reflectors make for better spill and better beam quality in my experience. It seems optics are always geared more towards throw which is fine, but I like some flood. And ringy beams make me sick. I hope SF makes some new lights with reflectors and leds...

Superdave

Enlightened
The cheap Q5 or R2 P60 dropins on ebay usually blow away the P60L assembly. I've got a Q5 dropin in a G2 right now and it's actually brighter/whiter than my U2.

JoeDizzy

Newly Enlightened
Nice little light... Huh? For me, Surefire hit a sliding triple with this one.

Its not about what's better, its all about what is better for you. Once you are real Flashoholic, your endeavors for perfection can be fulfilled with a little due diligence; Though be forewarned an informative straying eye will always be open minded to the latest and brightest.

Basically, personal favorites are always in jeopardy. Sad life these EDC's live nowadays.:mecry:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think the P60L is a nice conservative little LED module that has some advantages.

1. It's thermally regulated and can be dropped into any light regardless of heat dissipation capability.

2. It has a very smooth beam, if SureFire spent the last however many years to get to a pentacle of beam quality, this probably represents that better than any of their other lights.

3. It's going to be very reliable because we know who built it.

It also has some serious disadvantages.

1. Output is on the low side.

2. Efficiency is on the low side for todays standards.

---------------------

My feeling is that, if I had the same module, utilizing a more modern LED, (like an R2 or similar efficiency range), tuned to the same output, using way less juice to do it, I'd be able to give the module "raving" reviews. The runtime could be a lot better at this output with a *more* modern emitter.

Eric

GPB

Enlightened
This is why Surefire has to get on the ball and get its new P61L into production. I really hope they weren't just teasing us by putting it in their catalogue. If I recall correctly it was to have 200 lumens. If it has anywhere near the run time of the current P60L, it'll be a nice little addition. Hopefully they'll package it with a multi stage tailcap for the G2 and 6P and sell tons of them.

(It is pretty interesting to see the E1B and the G2L side by side as they are both rated at 80 lumens.)

P220C

Newly Enlightened
(It is pretty interesting to see the E1B and the G2L side by side as they are both rated at 80 lumens.)

Yeah it is. I was pretty happy with my G2L when I first got it (last month).

Then my friend came over with his UniQ in a Cabela's host (I was less happy thereafter, but still liked it).

Now that I have seen it next to the E1b, it looks like the G2L might be relegated to riding in the console of my truck in place of the Coast LED I picked up cheap on closeout ("Tuesday Morning" I think).

Although they are not seeing nearly as much activity since I got an E2DL, now that is a great all around light!

So how does the beam compare on the E2d --- Is it more bluish and floody like the G2L or more white/natural abnd "throwy" like the E1b?

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
Yeah it is. I was pretty happy with my G2L when I first got it (last month).

Then my friend came over with his UniQ in a Cabela's host (I was less happy thereafter, but still liked it).

Now that I have seen it next to the E1b, it looks like the G2L might be relegated to riding in the console of my truck in place of the Coast LED I picked up cheap on closeout ("Tuesday Morning" I think).

So how does the beam compare on the E2d --- Is it more bluish and floody like the G2L or more white/natural abnd "throwy" like the E1b?[/quote]

Same optic and same beam as E1B, just brighter.

If only they made the E2DL in the form of the E2L. I like the E2DL's levels but cannot stand all those spikes sticking out just waiting to rip holes in my pants. Not to mention that clip.....................

Oh well, I still have my E1B

tango44

Enlightened
I don't get it.

The beam color on my E1b is very natural where as the G2L is bluish.

The throw on the E1b is a hundred yards or more, and the G2L is about half of that. Granted the G2L has a much wider hotspot, but the spill on the E1b is not much darker.

Size... well that's pretty obvious.

About the only advantage I give to the G2L is runtime (and that is jsut about a wash if you consider the cost per hour of peak runtime. But since you have the option of using the 5 lumen setting for close work, that really becomes a moot point.

I am really worried that I might have found the perfect little light. I don't want to believe it thought since the search for the grail is oh so much fun.

So... what are the odds that the L4a will have as pretty a beam as the E1b?

I've always wanted an L4... Maybe the search isn't over afterall.

Careful, the L4 is more a wall of light than a thrower. The L4 is a wide beam and not comparable to the E1B which is a spot.
Now a great spotter is the L1 Cree version very tight beam, plus runs in one batt only 65 Lumens.

Last edited:

P220C

Newly Enlightened
Same optic and same beam as E1B, just brighter.

If only they made the E2DL in the form of the E2L. I like the E2DL's levels but cannot stand all those spikes sticking out just waiting to rip holes in my pants. Not to mention that clip.....................

I agree with you. I can't stand the look of crenalated bezels.

Careful, the L4 is more a wall of light than a thrower. The L4 is a wide bean and not comparable to the E1B wich is a spot, now a great spotter is the L1 Cree version very tight beam plus is one batt.

I hear you. I am by no means opposed to a wall of light. My issue is that the G2L tries to do that, but falls short of the goal. I don't know if it is the color of the beam, but I just can't see well with that tint.

I would guess that the E1b has a hotspot of what... 8 degrees? I would think that something with a hotspot in the range of 12 degrees or so with a little more oomph than would be perfect. provided the tint remained the same.

Fickle bunch we are, eh?

Last edited:

Moka

Enlightened

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Agree with all except step one... Take it out and put it on CPFM, you may be able to get at least some $$ to assist with the newfound malkoff addiction... lol

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Tint depends on the tint bin the LED is from. The maker of the lights, like Surefire, don't have much control as to what tint you get, especially if they buy from many tint bins. If you buy from the same bin, things are more consistent.

You already know this, but the optic in the E1B produces a stronger and narrower hotspot and that can make a dimmer light seem brighter then a more floody bright light. Also take into account of how much the spill takes up out of the whole beam pattern. A small visible difference can amount to a good bit overall difference. Also remember that it takes 4x the light for one light to seem 2x brighter then another.

As for a wider beam, would a light diffuser work? If you want, you can send the light to Milkyspit or another modder to have it modded for more output or what ever you want(within reason).