Fenix LOD-GD? Any plans in the works?

Anto

Enlightened
Any plans for a LOD with a Golden Dragon emitter? That would rock.

Planning to buy an LOD and wanted to hold out if a newer version is comming out.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I am more hopeful for a Cree XP-E version.

I had to look that one up. I'd love to see one of those as that might finally give the LOD the throw that it's missing. That's always been my only complaint about the LOD is the fact that it doesn't throw very well.

Given the fact that the Streamlight Microstream, with it's tiny Seoul emitter and superb reflector, can throw as far as the LOD on high (even though the LOD has more overall output) makes me wonder what an LOD could do with a small emitter and proper reflector?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I had to look that one up. I'd love to see one of those as that might finally give the LOD the throw that it's missing. That's always been my only complaint about the LOD is the fact that it doesn't throw very well.

Given the fact that the Streamlight Microstream, with it's tiny Seoul emitter and superb reflector, can throw as far as the LOD on high (even though the LOD has more overall output) makes me wonder what an LOD could do with a small emitter and proper reflector?

History already has the answer. The beam pattern would most likely be nearly identical to the discontinued LOD-RB80, which had about the same LED size and emission pattern with a smaller opening in the reflector, and a textured reflector. It made the LOD into a 1xAAA flood king, which is usually the preferred format for keychain lights.

Anto

Enlightened
Wow, I just looked up the XP-E and it's tiny!

Think it's worth waiting out for? The LOD is due for an update..

superflytnt

Enlightened
History already has the answer. The beam pattern would most likely be nearly identical to the discontinued LOD-RB80, which had about the same LED size and emission pattern with a smaller opening in the reflector, and a textured reflector. It made the LOD into a 1xAAA flood king, which is usually the preferred format for keychain lights.

Bummer, that was the reason why I retired my LOD was the lack of throw. Without the benefit of variable focus I just find that I prefer tighter, throwier beams because they are much more versatile in that you can always use a cheap diffuser (bottle caps, scotch tape etc.) on a thrower if you need it close up but you can't do squat to focus a floody beam to try to get distance out of it.

If I could get the great beam and superior focus/throw of my Microstream in an LOD, with it's multiple modes and higher output, I'd be a happy guy..........................actually, I already have the MS so I'm happy!

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
I think the forward voltage of the R2 is higher than the Q4 - hence the lack of a widely distributed Q5 LOD. I remember seeing a while back why they didn't release one, because due to the higher energy requirements of the Q5, the runtime would be shortened by a fair amount..

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one of the reasons the L0D was not offered in Q5 was because the vf was too high?

If so the GDP is not much more efficient so it is unlikely to be offered on the L0D.

Maybe the R2 but efficiency improvement would have to be dramatic, and the LED readily available before this happens.

The L0D and other AAA lights are sensitive to LED efficiency, so that would probably drive future LED upgrades when appropriate efficiency is achieved.