So, I've got two dogs that were fighting and decided to seperate them so they

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crud. Get some medical attention and make sure you don't risk rabies.

And maybe get rid of one of the dogs to a shelter / friend / family.

Edit: it looks like you were in the ER. Admirable that you took photos to share while in the ER. :D

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I had to save it for posterity. You know, give people a chance to laugh at me :)

I was looking for a home for them but now, it's a little more urgent :)

A buddy is bringing a dog pen to put one of them in. I used to keep an eye on them when they were in the house and only separate them when I leave, but lately, it's gotten out of hand.
On top of that, the Rottie kinda jumped my little pug and she doesn't really have good fightin' teeth so that pissed me off big time.

They will both leave but I still want to find them good homes.
Of course, a the kitchen knife is a fast solution but I don't think it's right. I took responsibility for them and I intend to finish what I started.

I did get stitches and stuff though, thanks.

George

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nasty enough bites! The last time I saw a bite like that was when I was a kid my Uncle was teasing my parents labrador with food:shakehead, you can guess what happened - I wonder what tasted better the sausage or the finger.
sssh.gif

Hope you're OK anyway and that you can find the dogs good homes.

BTW Superb camera choice!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks on the camera and the well wishes. Hurt my pride more than anything. I take pain pretty well so that doesn't bother me much and yeah, they'll find good homes. By themselves they are very sweet dogs, especially the smaller one that was involved.

I thought I'd post it here so people can laugh at my good luck :)

George

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes... With apologies to any dog lover but if a dog bit me like that it's going down, no matter how sweet it is beforehand. :eek:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

I've been hearing that lately

All joking aside,

Those are some pretty serious injuries. My 2 cents, you really need to get help from a professional for that dog, or turn the dog over to someone with "aggressive dog" experience.

You look like a big guy and it sounds like you were able to fend off the dog alright, but if he went after a woman or a child, well.....

It could turn into another one of "those" stories about fatal dog attacks. :(

Please get assistance! For your own sake as well as the dog!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind sharing, what kind of dogs were involved, and what ages? Thanks!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch!

I agree with the others. The dogs may be nice and all, but if they bit me there'd be no worrying about finding homes for them.

:buddies:

Newly Enlightened
I'm no dog expert, so take this FWIW, but I've read that you should generally not attempt to separate two fighting dogs.

The rationale being, that dogs are pack animals that recognize a specific hierarchy amongst themselves. When they fight, they are simply determining who is the strongest, the alpha dog, the head of the pack, etc. If you're constantly intervening and diffusing fights, the dogs will continue to challenge each other until a 'winner' is recognized.

That said, those are some pretty bad looking bite wounds!

lightsandknives

Enlightened
A friend was told by a dog trainer that if two dogs are fighting, grab the largest one by the back legs and pick them up like a wheel barrow where only their front legs are on the ground. When in that position, they can't get around to bite you. Oddly enough, this happened while we were at their house and she did just that. The fight was over and no one was worse for wear.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rationale being, that dogs are pack animals that recognize a specific hierarchy amongst themselves. When they fight, they are simply determining who is the strongest, the alpha dog, the head of the pack, etc. If you're constantly intervening and diffusing fights, the dogs will continue to challenge each other until a 'winner' is recognized.

So would it work if you beat both of them up so they recognize you as the alpha dog from now on? :D

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
So would it work if you beat both of them up so they recognize you as the alpha dog from now on? :D

That is ABSOLUTELY correct.

The alpha dog must always be YOU!

I'd recommend checking out Cesar Milan to anyone who owns and/or loves dogs. You may think his philosophy is a little "out there" at first, but it really does work, IF you can pull it off (it can be hard!).

But in his show, he's always taking really violent dogs and making them submissive to him in like 5 minutes!

(PS disclaimer to the quote above: it's not necessary to "beat up" the dog, or harm it at all. I know you're joking but I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea...)

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Yowza! Hope you heal fast and well; it's no fun to nurse dog bites, save a few of them at the same time.

I recently reached in and tried to separate and save my dog when she got attacked by two pits that came after her on a night walk. I know I told myself I'd never do it, but when she got attacked and tried to fight back, I couldn't resist. Thankfully, she and I made it out fine.

Get well soon, and thanks for the gruesome reminder of what can happen in the blink of an eye!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
O boy that must really hurt.

Get well soon and sort out those dogs, I would be very worried about them hurting someone else next time.:(

I hope you work things out and heal quickly.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

It should never come to that and beating them will not establish you as the alpha person.
You have to treat them like a dog and be consistent.
I've never hit any of my dogs and could always put them in a position of submission with just a drawn out "Ohhhhh" and an "I'm really unhappy" inflection.

The man who founded Guide dogs for the blind could train animals to never cross over a rope in a very short time and with just his voice.

Simple test. Take them for a walk on a leash. Does he lead or follow. The alpha dog always leads.

Dawg

Enlightened
Sorry for your pain. I feel it, believe me. Been there done that. My two lived out their lives without ever having a problem after the one fight. My bites healed and I loved em just as much. They were doing what they do....being male dogs.