a problem with my EX10

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i just received my Ex10. This light is amazing!

But i think that i have a problem...when i ramp down or up the light, sometime the light turn off.

Is there something that i can do before sending back my light?

Thanks

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to be running into the same issue with mine. I have pretty much determined it only happens when I am trying to get "just a little bit" different output. Then the UI may mistakenly interpret my minor adjustment for a slow click and shut the light off. Mostly just a learning curve thing.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to be running into the same issue with mine. I have pretty much determined it only happens when I am trying to get "just a little bit" different output. Then the UI may mistakenly interpret my minor adjustment for a slow click and shut the light off. Mostly just a learning curve thing.

I agree, it seems to me also that you need to spend some more time learning the difference between a short click and a long click. It took me some time as well and I could not understand whether the reason was that I am too old or that I have too many different lights....:p

jbviau

Enlightened
Problems with ramping could be caused by insufficiently constant pressure on the piston button, which could in turn be due to an overly stiff piston. Have you tried removing the factory lube and relubing with something thin like the teflon-based lube from Radio Shack (needle tip)? This can ease up the action considerably.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

i just received my Ex10. This light is amazing!

But i think that i have a problem...when i ramp down or up the light, sometime the light turn off.

Is there something that i can do before sending back my light?

Thanks
The smart PD lights take some practice to be able to use correctly every single time.

You'll get used to it soon. It's well worth the effort.

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
I have a different problem: on a 14500 LiIon battery my EX10 doesn't have any modes... it operates as a simple on/off twisty. On a 1.2V NiMH cell all the modes work perfectly.

The batteries are protected Trustfire 14500's - I've tried different batteries... same problem. My diagnosis is that the batteries are too long for the piston mechanism to work properly, but I'm surprised no one else has encountered the same problem - these batteries are pretty common, and the EX10 seems to be a hit, especially here on CPF.

Other than this issue, I do like the flashlight: excellent build quality, novel switching mechanism. I wish it was a little brighter (I have other Q5's that blow it away in terms of output), but the runtime seems to be excellent, and I enjoy the fact that I can chose an output level that's optimised for a given situation.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a different problem: on a 14500 LiIon battery my EX10 doesn't have any modes... it operates as a simple on/off twisty. On a 1.2V NiMH cell all the modes work perfectly.

The batteries are protected Trustfire 14500's - I've tried different batteries... same problem. My diagnosis is that the batteries are too long for the piston mechanism to work properly, but I'm surprised no one else has encountered the same problem - these batteries are pretty common, and the EX10 seems to be a hit, especially here on CPF.

Other than this issue, I do like the flashlight: excellent build quality, novel switching mechanism. I wish it was a little brighter (I have other Q5's that blow it away in terms of output), but the runtime seems to be excellent, and I enjoy the fact that I can chose an output level that's optimised for a given situation.
Can a 14500 even fit in a EX10? I thought it would be more appropriate for D10? Are you sure you have the right light?

And what other Q5 lights do you have that blow the EX10 away? I have some of the best AA Q5 lights and none of them blew away my smart PD lights. :thinking:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
EuphoricGrIn- i think you have got the names of these two nitecores mixed up because there is no way you could fit an AA sized cell in an EX10, if you have tried 1.2V Nimh cells and 14500 this means you have the D10

EX10- CR123a

D10- AA, 14500

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I'm being a bit thick... I meant D10. Getting a 14500 into an EX10 would take some doing!

The Q5 flashlights I have that are brighter all run on either 14500 or 18650's, so perhaps the comparison isn't fair - but I was under the impression that the D10 brightness on either battery remains the same, but runtime on the higher voltage batteries improves?

superflytnt

Enlightened

I use Trustfires in my D10 and they work fine but you only turn the head until the light just turns on, don't screw the head down all the way but just maybe 1/4" past where it turns on and they should work..............

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

I will try to relube...do you think that Nyogel will be fine?

I dont think that its a click problem. I click and hold, the ramping is going up or down and during the process the light turn off...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

I will try to relube...do you think that Nyogel will be fine?

I dont think that its a click problem. I click and hold, the ramping is going up or down and during the process the light turn off...
If it turns off while it's ramping, that is a problem and you should get it addressed. If you bought it from 4sevens.com give them a holler.

Also, make sure it's not the battery that's low on juice. And make sure your pressure is constant. Even if the pressure is varied for just a second, the brass ring will interpret this as a click and turn it off.

If the two above items do not apply, then your light may be faulty and need to be replaced. But chances are it could be the constant pressure not being "constant" enough. Re-lube and practice should make it go away. Else replace it.

Last edited:

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
Sylvain - apologies for hijacking your thread!

superflytnt - I've tried that - no joy. As soon as the light comes on, it stays on - depressing the piston has no effect, even within 1 or 2 degrees of "1st contact". Loosening the tailcap slightly switches the light off, but then it operates as a momentary forward clickie - the flashlight lights up when the piston is pressed and switches back off as soon as it's released.

Because it operates perfectly using a (slightly shorter) 1.2 volt battery I suspect the problem is mechanical rather than electronic...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sylvain - apologies for hijacking your thread!

superflytnt - I've tried that - no joy. As soon as the light comes on, it stays on - depressing the piston has no effect, even within 1 or 2 degrees of "1st contact". Loosening the tailcap slightly switches the light off, but then it operates as a momentary forward clickie - the flashlight lights up when the piston is pressed and switches back off as soon as it's released.

Because it operates perfectly using a (slightly shorter) 1.2 volt battery I suspect the problem is mechanical rather than electronic...
That could very well be. A few others have reported issues in using certain 14500s. The D10 is a precision tool and as such doesn't tolerate imperfect battery dimensions well.

I recommend using Sanyo Eneloops with the D10. Eneloops are all I use actually, for all my batteries. They are the best batteries I have ever used, bar none.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it turns off while it's ramping, that is a problem and you should get it addressed. If you bought it from 4sevens.com give them a holler.

Also, make sure it's not the battery that's low on juice. And make sure your pressure is constant. Even if the pressure is varied for just a second, the brass ring will interpret this as a click and turn it off.

If the two above items do not apply, then your light may be faulty and need to be replaced. But chances are it could be the constant pressure not being "constant" enough. Re-lube and practice should make it go away. Else replace it.

I agree,( FINALLY), with you, LED. :kiss: I had the shutoff issues with my EX10 GDPLUS. You really have to exert constant pressure on the switch as you ramp or it will shut off, or possibly go to MIN or Max. I find that as I approach the point where I want the light level to be, there is a natural tendency to let up pressure just slightly on the switch. That's a NO-NO, because the light will switch off. Be very deliberate about pressing the switch throughout the ramp, and letting up VERY QUICKLY when you are at the light level you want. My light seldom switches off now, except when I am focusing my attention on the beam more than on what my thumb is doing.

Oh, another thing. Your thumb can get quite sore or tired from playing with this light a lot. When my thumb is fatigued, I experience the shut off problem more frequently. It is a good bet that when the novelty of ramping your new light lessens, your thumb will recover, and you won't have this problem but on rare occasions.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
I relube the piston with Deoxit , i took care to keep my thumb on the switch and release it faster so everything's fine now!

This light is awesome for the size!

Thanks again for your help.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 is slightly brighter for a short duration on 14500...
This statement is not exactly accurate and I've seen you state it before.

The D10 is brighter throughout all the usable energy when comparing a 14500 to a 1.2v NiMh. Not just initially.

Here's the graph courtesy of selfbuilt.

D10-Hi.gif

LED-holic, you really should try a 14500 in your D10's. Especially since you love them so much. They'll be brighter, lighter, run cooler, and have more runtime than an Eneloop. I even think the beam looks whiter too on the higher voltage. :shrug:

That's all I use in mine.

Last edited: