Pocket light EDC size?

Nikx

Newly Enlightened
So I'm just starting to get into flashlights. :wave:

I've decided to get a small light to add to my EDC, and have narrowed it down pretty well, to 2 lights actually.

I choose to go with a Fenix light, since they are still good quality and are affordable (for me- college student!) :D Either the P2D Q5, or P3D Q5.

However never having owned a high-quality flashlight, much less carried one in my pocket, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the two. The P2D, at 3.1 inches, would sit in my pocket better, but it has about half the runtime of the P3D, and also looks like it might be a but small for my (large) hands. The P3D is a bit longer at 4.5 inches, not sure if that's too long for my pocket...but he has better run time, and looks like it would be more comfortable to hold.

At the moment I am leaning towards the P3D, but I wanted to see if anyone who owns one thought it's too big for pocket-carry. Or if anyone owns a P2D and agrees that it's a bit on the small side to hold?

Also the differences in lumen output are negligable for my uses.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
good choice on going with Fenix.

if you truly want to carry this thing in your pocket, get the P2D. The 3 is a little large for that, but does come with a nice holster that you can wear on your belt. You'll barely notice it.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
For the pocket-P2D. I just got mine in "premium" Q5. I'm amazed at the brightness. Don't worry as much about runtime--you'll use it mostly on a low setting unless you're a lumens freak, at least after the "wow" show off period is over....:p Edited to add: Just carry a couple spare batts properly in strategic places-car, backpack, etc., and you'll be good for more than you'll need. I got the Olive P2D Q5, and it's awesome!

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums Nikx!

I've only owned a P2D but it fit my hand pretty well. It is thick enough to get a pretty good grip on it. If runtime is a consideration just carry a spare battery.........................

The P3D is still probably small enough for a pocket, however, so either way you go I think that you'll be happy as they are both great lights :)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the P2D you can use the L1D body or L2D body down the road for 1AA or 2AA flexibility.

Nikx

Newly Enlightened
good choice on going with Fenix.

if you truly want to carry this thing in your pocket, get the P2D. The 3 is a little large for that, but does come with a nice holster that you can wear on your belt. You'll barely notice it.

Hmm, that's a good idea. Less bulk in my pockets. I bet i would get a lot of "why do you have a flashlight..." :ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say the P2D, partially because of the smaller size, and partially because you can use the L1D and L2D body with the head so you can choose between 1 AA, 2AA, and CR123 power(they have the same head and circuit).

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prior to getting my Fenix L1T, I carried the P3D's in my front/side pants pocket without a problem (and liked them very much, so much actually, that I am considering going back to them).

I also have the P2D's, and find them too "short" to be useful for me, and I don't have "large" hands.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

youreacrab

Enlightened
Prior to getting my Fenix L1T, I carried the P3D

Bingo. Go for the L1T if you don't need all the fancy modes. 16 lumen isn't super low but neither is 12, so get another light if you need a very low low. With the L1T you can add a P2D tail and get a P2T.

If you're after the 123 lights because of brightness, the AA based lights are very close in brightness. The perceivable difference between 100 Fenix lumens and 180 Fenix lumens isn't that great and all Fenix lights (with a given reflector style) have similar throw/flood characteristics.

I used to use a P2D and a P3D until I discovered the L1T and L2T v's 2.0. I don't miss the marginal difference in brightness.

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
I carry the P3DQ5 in my l left pocket I like it that way I even have a custom leather holster that I dont use.
I can't say enough good about the P3D as I've said before I'm very hard on all my stuff and this has stood up very well (and it hasent ruined my pants like the SF 6p did)

crocodilo

Enlightened
If you're set on small, get a P1D Q5. If you prefer clikies and a custom touch, get a Leef body with switch to go with it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you want the smaller length and the longer runtime, you might look over at JetBeam lights, specifically their Jet-II IBS. At four inches in length, it's slightly longer than a P2D but notably shorter than the P3D, and you get the best of both worlds - since the Jet uses infinitely variable brightness control ranging from 2 to 225 lumens, on just one 123 cell it can last as long as, or have more output than, the two-cell P3D. The Jet-II is a tailcap clicky just like the two Fenix models, with three output modes *that you set*, meaning you can have any combination of output levels or strobe/locator effects for your modes. And it's the same price as the P3D :thumbsup: