Got an Arc-LSH-P; not as 'Premium' as I thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Got an Arc-LSH-P; not as \'Premium\' as I thought....

I just received my Arc-LSH-P. Once I got rid of that POS clickie tailcap, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif (yes, put about 2 oz. of pressure on that $4 POS tailcap, and the light goes on. Nah, it wouldn't turn on in my pocket, eating up the battery I will need later tonight, or tomorrow, and heating up enough to put a nice little burn on my thigh....) put in a foam washer, lubed the threads and O-ring with some Nye lube, (came dry as Desert Valley; screwing on the 123 clickie it actually *squeaked* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif ) and put on a 123 twisty, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif it's a very nice light! Very white, with a very nice 'beam' from the HD optics. Sure is a far cry from the pea green Arc-LS 'first', First Run, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif (which I shipped back) that I got over a year ago!

I was surprised to see how bad the color match was between the 123 clickie, and the body of the light, on this 'Premium' model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif About like the seemingly random colors found on SureFire E2E parts, and KL1 parts.

Fortunately, the 123 twisty I had on hand is a *much* better color match. Almost perfect, in fact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Seems like all you need to make an Arc-LS 'Premium' model work well is a drawer full of spare parts, and some silicone lube that Arc Flashlight just can't seem to manage to apply to either the threads, or the O-rings on their expensive flashlights.

Even a $20 Arc-AAA needs about ½ cent worth of lube on it, but I've yet to see a *single* one of the over $450 worth of Arc flashlights I've purchased, (yes, I've spent that much on Arc Flashlights....) come with *any* lube on them whatsoever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I think what we should do is take up a collection, and buy Arc Flashlight a bucket of Nye 954G lube. I mean the 1 oz. I have would easily do 50 to 100 Arc-LS's; probably double that number of Arc-AAA's. a 7 lb. bucket would be enough for Arc Flashlight's entire production for years to come.

I've lubed O-rings on flashlights 5 to 10 years ago, that have never needed to be lubricated again. If Arc Flashlight put a little lube on their lights, they'd be good for many years.

I've complained about this before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif I would think that Arc Flashlight's current top of the line, *most expensive* flashlight would come with 2 cents worth of silicone grease. But no, my Arc-LSH-P was clean and dry. The distinctive feel of aluminum on aluminum, followed by the actual audible squeak the O-ring made was like fingernails on a blackboard.

I should mention that I didn't buy my Arc-LSH-P directly from Arc Flashlight, or one of it's distributors. I bought it from another CPF member, a few days after he got it and decided he didn't like it as much as his E2E + KL1. But I sort of doubt that he cleaned *all* of the carefully applied silicone grease from the aluminum threads and O-ring, before he shipped it to me. <font color="red"> </font>

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got an Arc-LSH-P; not as \'Premium\' as I thought....

Interesting. I got two LSH-P's from Arc and they were both well lubed. On the second one I got the threads were nicely gunked up but the o-ring was dry. Too bad you had to do the extra work on yours. I guess this is something Peter will have to revisit in his extensive QA list he posted a while back.

Cheers,
Mohamad

bwcaw

Enlightened

That actually speaks quite well of Peter's products if all you can find wrong with them is the o-rings aren't lubed! I have gotten surefires that have not had any lube on them either, most streamlights come with very little lube, or none at all.:D

Do you have a KL1 to compare your lshp to? I would like to know which is brighter. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flash....

Enlightened
Re: Got an Arc-LSH-P; not as \'Premium\' as I though

My new LSH-P had plenty of lube...
I'm sure your experience is most likely the exception, rather than the rule.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Got an Arc-LSH-P; not as \'Premium\' as I though

You know, people have been telling us to lube our flashlights for over 2 years. I go back and talk to our people and they confirm they are putting lube on them. I watch them goop each battery pack. I see the expense report for the tubes of lube we go through. But I also occasionly see these units that get returned inexplicably dry. Alien forces? Heat caused the lube to evaporate? Lube-eating bacteria? I do not know.

Peter

SUREFARC

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
That actually speaks quite well of Peter's products if all you can find wrong with them is the o-rings aren't lubed! I have gotten surefires that have not had any lube on them either, most streamlights come with very little lube, or none at all.:D

Do you have a KL1 to compare your lshp to? I would like to know which is brighter. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My LSHP was well lubed.

I got the E1e/kl1 and the beams are so different that I don't know which is brighter. LSHP's has a larger corona and MUCH whiter and the KL1's is tighter and bluer. I love the beam of the LSHP.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remembered my blemished LS2 was actually "overlubed". I opened it up and had goob drool all over my fingers. The inside was also rubbed with some lube.

At least the tail nor the battery ever squealed when it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.