Music editing software recommendations, please.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for software, preferably free, that would allow me to edit music. I don't want to do anything fancy, just cull out certain sections of music. For example, delete a long intro, middle and/or end section of a piece, so that I can listen only to favorite passages.

Music source would be CDs that could be loaded then edited on the computer, and transferred to an MP3 player or to a recordable CD.

If you've personally used certain programs, tell me what you liked and disliked. Strictly personal listening enjoyment, so nothing fancy, overly "technie," or expensive, please. Thanks for any recommendations!

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I use a free copy of CoolEdit that I picked up about 10 years ago. I don't know if it is even available anymore.

matt0

Enlightened
I like AUDACITY

Works great for clipping out sections and there's some cool effects you can add to the music. IIRC, in the stock form, it can only save files as .WAV but there's another download on their site that will let you export/save to just about any filetype.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Audacity will do the basics fine. Free and on most popular platforms.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to check out Audacity, but in the meantime, I welcome additional options, comments, etc. Thanks!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a free copy of CoolEdit that I picked up about 10 years ago. I don't know if it is even available anymore.
You can still download the shareware version, but cannot register it.

Adobe bought out the company that made CE and now charge a small fortune for it.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
wavosaur is quite popular you can get it here Audacity is available there too. What I like most about these progs is you can run them from your flash drive, take them everywhere and give them away too .:D

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Audacity is the best free one i know too.

However, my favorite is goldwave.

Crenshaw

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used CoolEdit and Cool2000 for quite a few years when I was transferring a lot of LP's to CDR. Unfortunately the hard drive CoolEdit was installed on crashed, and even though I had bought the license and the complete version of it, by that time it had been bought by Adobe and wasn't supported any more, except as the high-dollar pro version as Black Rose mentioned.

I've got Goldwave installed on our PC and used it as a replacement for CoolEdit, not quite as nice, but it did most of what I needed. Haven't used it in a while though. I'll have to check out Audacity.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
None of those work as well and as simply as CoolEdit. One of the best and long lasting shareware/software programs I ever bought. Right up there with Steinberg Clean & Paintshop Pro, etc.