Endor Rebel - Housing

gillis51

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums but have been reading many of them for the last few weeks. Tons of great information.

Intrigued by the amount of light and low energy draw I decided to try and build a bike light. I decided on the Luxeon Endor Rebel in 435 lumen at 700 ma and a 700 ma buck puck. Now the issue. I need an aluminum housing for the light. Any suggestions? Are there any flash light heads that will fit this thing or does anyone make a custom housing.

Thanks in advance for the help

ambientmind

Enlightened
what reflector/optic are you using? I know they just came out with an optic for the endor star, so maybe you could use that for a nice beam. just about any head that uses a full 19 or 20mm star will hold it, but having space for the driver and switch might be a problem. you might be better off with a P7 for the time being to simplify your design since there are a lot of options out there for it. or make a two cree R2 light which would put out about the same amount of light if driven correctly and would give you a limitless array of drivers and optics. just some ideas....

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that the Endor star isn't more efficient than the other high-flux power LEDs. It may do 435 lumens at 700mA, but with a Vf of over 9V, as opposed to 3.3-3.7V or so at 700mA.

gillis51

Newly Enlightened
I ordered but have not yet received the new optics/reflector. I am a rookie with all this so the optics may not provide the beam pattern I am hoping for, if not I'll be back to the drawing board. I am just playing around seems like there are so many possibilities and options compared with commercial lights. As for the driver and switch I was planning on making a modified water bottle battery and placing the driver and switch in there. I think I read that the driver should be close to the light (6"), will say no more than 30 inches (+ & -) of wire create a problem?? Once the batteries, driver and switch are positioned I was going to fill the water bottle with silicone to hold it all in place, hope it doesn't way to much.