Really quick Malkoff mag question.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Is there a difference in brightness between the 2-3 cell drop in and the 4-6 cell drop in?

I am not sure if the Malkoff delivers the same drive level reguardless of voltage.

I have one running on 4 cells and I was wondering if buying one for the 3 cell light would make a dimmer light or just a shorter runtime.

Thank you for any info you have for me. :)

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the malkoff website it states that the drive current for the 4-6 cell drop in 1100mah. The 3 cell is driven at 1000mah and the 2 cell is driven at 600 mah. I would venture to say that you would not see much brightness difference from the 3 cell to the 4-6 cell. The 2 cell driven at 600 mah should be noticeably dimmer. I don't own one so I'm just speculating.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those current numbers are for each of the 3 LED's individually. So the 2 cell runs 600mA each per LED or 1.8 amps total to the 3 LEDs and that is not the current you will see off of 2 batteries at the back of the battery.

The run time will definitely be better with the 4 to 6 cell and the brightness will hold up better for longer. The brightness will be just a little bit better with the 4 to 6 cell unit from the regulator drive holding just a bit stiffer.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff's site says that with the 2-3D module:
2D: 600mA to the LED
3D: 1000mA to the LED

4-6D module:
1100mA to the LED for 4, 5, or 6 cells.