Fenix L1D...

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've got a P3D Q5 coming and I'm beginning my career as a flashaholic. I noticed that the L1D is a single AA sized light and I like the flexibility of AA compatibility. I've done a little reading, but have a few questions:

#1 - I noticed that people talk about buying a L2D body and using it with a L1D head. Does this mean you will get the brighter output of a L2D on turbo when used with 2xAA ? Are the heads between a L1D and L2D the same even though they are rated for different maximum turbo ratings?

#2 - I read that some people are using an AA sized L-Ion rechargeable. What are the advantages to this?

#3 - I read that on turbo, a single AA cell limits the amount of current that can be delivered. Is this limitation for only certainly battery types like alkaline? Do NiMH or 1.5v Lithium support more current? Or L-Ion rechargeable?

Thanks,

Alan

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've got a P3D Q5 coming and I'm beginning my career as a flashaholic. I noticed that the L1D is a single AA sized light and I like the flexibility of AA compatibility. I've done a little reading, but have a few questions:

#1 - I noticed that people talk about buying a L2D body and using it with a L1D head. Does this mean you will get the brighter output of a L2D on turbo when used with 2xAA ? Are the heads between a L1D and L2D the same even though they are rated for different maximum turbo ratings?
Yes, you'll get the brighter output with 2xAA. The L1D and L2D heads (and the P2D head) are exactly the same.

#2 - I read that some people are using an AA sized L-Ion rechargeable. What are the advantages to this?
The 2xAA L2D and the 1XCR123 P2D put out just about the same amount of light, with identical heads. Using a 14500 (AA size) Li-ion cell gives you the light output of the P2D or L2D from your L1D without needing a new tube. However, only the lower modes will be the same as turbo until the battery is nearly exhausted. The same thing happens, of course, when running a P2D from a rechargeable Li-Ion 123 cell.

#3 - I read that on turbo, a single AA cell limits the amount of current that can be delivered. Is this limitation for only certainly battery types like alkaline? Do NiMH or 1.5v Lithium support more current? Or L-Ion rechargeable?
Well, a regulator can be designed which will deliver just about any current to the LED from a single AA cell. But the Fenix designers compromised on a level that gives reasonable run time along with considerable brightness. The way this regulator works is that it does deliver higher current when the input voltage is higher, up to a limit. Consequently, you get more LED current when using 2xAA or 1xLi-Ion than when using a single AA. An alkaline cell isn't a good choice for a bright light like this because it doesn't deliver much total energy when delivering the high current a bright single cell AA light requires. So you'll get a relatively short run time from an alkaline cell, especially if you run the light constantly rather than for short times with intervening rests.

I'm sure you'll like the P3D. It's my favorite light for general walking and other outdoor use because of its large hot spot along with fairly large spill - and I've accumulated quite a few lights. I use two protected AW RCR123 Li-ion cells in it. Unlike the P2D or L1D, you get full functionality with Li-ion cells in the P3D.

Hang on to your wallet!

c_c