Gerber Sonic Problem- anyone know the fix?

juslearnin

Newly Enlightened
I bought a bunch of these on closeout for like $4 each. I know they look funny, but I kind of like them. The first one I got out lasted about 3 months as an EDC before it started to have problems with flickering, then not coming on unless I shake it. I broke out the next one, and it lasted about two weeks before doing the same thing.

I contacted Gerber, and they sent me a nice email saying "lifetime warranty" but that because they no longer make the sonic they would replace them with the tempo- which I don't want.

Anyone familiar with these? It seems like there is probably a simple design or manufacturing flaw which is causing this, but I searched and didn't find any fixes. When I take it apart, I am not even sure how it functions, as there is a spring which I would think would make contact with the battery as soon as you start to put the cap back on.

Any help would be appreciated.

gunga

Flashaholic
First try cleaning the threads off with a cloth and some alcohol. You can then apply VERY light lube on the threads. This is a contact path so maybe some oxides had formed on the surface and are preventing the circuit from completing. Also clean all battery contact surface.

Failing that, you can try popping out the light engine.

If you gently press on the led, try a q-tip first, or perhaps a pencil eraser, you can usually pop out the light engine. You can try cleaning everything with alcohol or de-oxit at that point. The negative path is through the sharp edge of the light engine biting into the sides of the body. Clean all surfaces.

I did a mod on one of these once but somehow fried the driver later. It was cool for a bit as I replaced it with a brighter led that stuck out more to give a bit of spill.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I contacted Gerber, and they sent me a nice email saying "lifetime warranty" but that because they no longer make the sonic they would replace them with the tempo- which I don't want.

I have to warn you, I've also encoutered quality-control issues with the Tempo. The first one I got is still functional (so far), and I like it alot... However, when I decided to get a second one as a spare, I got one that had to be tightened really tight to turn on. When I exchanged it, the replacement had more serious problems; it flickered badly, and was very dim compared to the original one I bought (the good one).

At that point I decided to just get a refund and gave up on getting a spare. It's possible that it was just a bad batch, but it was discouraging to get two defective lights in a row.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I had the flickering problem with my Tempo till it finally died on me. I figured what the #&!! and took the head off(I wrapped the body and head in tame first, then used 2 pair of pliers.). There's a disc inside, with a hole in the center for the contact spring, that screws into the head. Took that out(I used the tip of a pushpin to rotate it), then pressed the driver/led out from the front. The contact area around the rim of the driver and the retaining disc were funked up, so I cleaned them up and put it back together. Works flawlessly now.

Sorry, I meant to mention that the innards of both the Sonic and the Tempo are supposedly the same.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I should also have said this. This light has kept me happy enough NOT to order an e01. Plenty heavy duty enough other than the initial problem...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had any problem with either of my sonics other than orings not fitting snugly enough. They're great lights for camping, but for keyrings the're a little too loosey goosey. Maybe a thicker oring would be best.

That's lame that you had problem with yours. At that price I would have bought a pocketful.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm really happy with my gerber tempo. The first one I had developed a flicker within 2-3 days so I exchanged it at REI, it also had a severely off center emitter. It was to the point where the center hot spot aim was off by about 20 inches. I exchanged it for a different one at REI. This time I hand picked one with a centered emitter. Completely happy with this one. At 7-8 Lumens it has replaced my nite-ize minimag.

I think youre wise however in NOT allowing them to do the exchange. Quality (at least from my experience) varies greatly... Local B&M I think is the ideal way to go for this one.

Flic

Enlightened
Darn, I threw away an old Gerber Sonic I loved when it stopped working. Had I known this I'd likely still be using it today.

Lesson learned... Always ask CPF before tossing anything away!

Last edited:

83Venture

Enlightened
I ordered 4 Sonics on closeout several months ago - had to return 3 that either flickered. would not come on, or would not stay on. Only 1 worked.

Flic

Enlightened
I've been lucky then. I got a few closeout Sonics thanks to cpfer loving light. To date they all have worked properly.

juslearnin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I did not even realize that the head could be unthreaded. I took one apart, cleaned up the threads a little, and put it back together, and it hasn't flickered again yet (did it last night, so we will see).

This site is a great resource for knowledge- thanks for everyone's time.