Pinkish L2D RB100: Am I Going Crazy?

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I'm hoping someone out there will have some special knowledge about the RB100 LEDs that can put my mind at ease...

I have a Fenix L2D RB100 (which I love!). When I first got it I was super impressed with it, and it seemed to blow my other flashlights (mostly SLPPL's) out of the water.

Earlier this year I loaned it to my sister to take to Costa Rica, and since she's brought it back I feel like it has a slight pinkish tint to the beam and it doesn't seem as amazingly bright as I remember.

Am I just imagining this, or is this something that can happen to RB100 LEDs? Like, could it have been over heated, or dropped really hard, or???

It could be that my subconscious is just trying to give me excuses to buy more flashlights... :thinking:

Thanks very much for any advice!

-GZ

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
Are you aware that there was a recall of Luxeon Rebel LED's earlier this year?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186488

Affected LED's will have drastically reduced lifespans. This is why you can't get many Rebel lights any more - a pity, because the Rebel 100 is for the most part better than Cree in tint and beam profile, and about equal in output efficiency to a Cree Q4. Maybe you can get Fenix to repair or replace it under warranty.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
No - I missed that notice. Thanks! I'm not sure if mine falls into that category or not - I'm probably close to 24 hours of operation, but I wouldn't call it exactly "failed". I'll write to Fenix-Store and see what they say.

-GZ

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if the light has changed or you have just noticed it, but when the rebels first started appearing (look for early L2T/LD2/P3D premium 85/100 threads), may reported that their rebels had a pinkish tint.

It the tint really has changed that's not good, but check the batteries and check it at different output levels, as the level can affect the tint.

Rebels still Rock!

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if the tint has changed either, but I kinda suspect it has. One of the things I was most impressed by when I first got it was how truly white the tint was. It's still my best light, but now it looks pinkish compared to my older ones (and not as bright) at every level.

I've of course tried it with fresh batteries, but it doesnt' affect the output. Since it's regulated I wouldn't expect it to.

I agree that Rebels rock! Just maybe not mine... :(