Police officer with questions

peide01

Newly Enlightened
I am in the process of purchasing a back up duty light, currently i have a streamlight stingerxt.

i have looked at surefire extensively as well as fenix.

i really like the following lights:

1)surefire 6p led
2)fenix t11
3)fenix pd3 q5 premium

To me each light has its own features that i like, but just wanting some opinions from more knowledgeable people, please try not to show favoritism in name brands.

thanks for the help

Last edited:

TKO

Enlightened
Get a reliable 6p body and put a Malkoff M60 on top.

I carry one on my duty belt and have another 6P body/Malkoff M60 light that I use on a quick detach mount on a Colt 6520.

Good luck and stay safe, Brother.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I like the Surefire 6P form factor but do not like the output of the 60L SF drop in. Either buy another drop in, Malkoff devices are really popular if you can find one, or wait for the Surefire P61L drop in.

2. I can't say anything about the TK11 but will say that the TK10 is a very nice two stage light which is very similar to the TK11. My review of the TK10

3. Can't comment since I have never owned one.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant go wrong on any of the 3 really

the 6p if you get it , get a malkoff for it if you can find one or email malkoff to see when they will restock

if you use cr123 i think the tk10 is better than the tk11 with the batteries unless you use 18650

the p3d might wanna wait for this in 2 weeks as it has anti-roll for the hood

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peide01,

I am a police officer in Germany and I am a P3D owner.

In my opinion, the big plus about the P3D is, that it can fit into almost every situation, you may come in.

I am always carrying it around in Turbo Mode. That allows me to have instant acces to the maximum brightness. Something very nice, when you need light suddenly in a situation, that is not controlled yet.
Also, the Strobe is easy and fast to reach. I know, there are different opinions about the strobe in general and the strobe of Fenix in special. I have used the strobe to success in some situations. For more, please look below about things, Fenix could have made better.

The General Mode is the mode for all those controlling situations. The low is low enough to read dokuments, maps or anything similar. While mid is enough to supervise a suspect. High is for searching missions, when I am not looking for an aggressiv person, but for helpless people or for bodies of evidence.

You see, by having the two modes and differen levels of brightness, the light is very versatile.

But to be honest, there are some things, that Fenix could have made better:
I would prefere a body like the TK10 or TK11 for a better grip.
Also, the P3D has no momentary on. And momentary on would be a nice thing for tactical applications.
As I said, I used the strobe with success on some occaisons. But the strobe is rated with 8 Hz, which is a little bit to slow, to use it with max. effect. I would like to see a 12-13 Hz strobe in one of their future tactical lights.

I hope, this helped you a little bit.

Just my 2 €ct.

Stephan
P.S.: Just saw the PD30. Looks very nice. Maybe I am going to sell my P3D to one of my partners and take a look for this new one! Operation is similar to P3D, a little higher output on Turbo. Well ... I am thinking about it!

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me preface this with: I am not a police officer, but permit me to make an observation or two:

1. The 6PL is a good light in its own right - not quite tactical standard output, but a good work light. Take a look at some of your drop-in options if you want to use this as a backup tactical light - I'm fond of the Malkoffs, personally.

1a. I don't know your preference or your department standard for handgun/light techniques - you will likely want to either get a set of Surefire "combat rings" for your 6P or take a look at a Surefire C2 or Z2 for improved gripping.

2. The Fenix TK11 has gotten good reviews, comes with a removable grip ring and has a nice price tag, but you can't swap out or upgrade the LED module. The Surefire costs more up front, but as any addict here will tell you, the customization options are almost limitless.

If I was going to deploy on relatively short notice, I'd almost definitely get the TK11 as a disposable backup.

Just my two bits.

-Trevor

curtispdx

Enlightened
Surefire 6P and Malkoff M60 or M60F. Don't bother with the Fenix. (Before the flame war begins, let me state that I'm not a Fenix-hater. I've got four of five of them and they're fine for home use. No, I don't own a TK-10/11 but I've used them and they're okay but the SF/Malkoff combo is far superior.)

The only downside is that you'll come to dislike your Stinger...

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
You have some good choices in mind, but not the 6P LED. I would rather purchase a 6P incan from ebay for $40 shipped, then purchase a Q5 or R2 LED drop in for another $20-30.

I run a Z2 with a Dereelight Q5 dropin and love it. I also run it off rechargeable AW RCR123s, so no more need for batteries! I do carry some CR123s with me, in my A2. So that way I have a backup light and spare batteries.

The P3D is a nice choice since it has a turbo mode and low mode(among many others). So that way you can use it when you need less light. I think it uses a reverse clicky though.

The TK11 is also a nice light, has 2 modes and slightly more "tactical".

The major reason I favor the 6P over the other 2? It is the easiest to upgrade, just buy a new upgrade pill when it comes out and swap it out. I suck at soldering and other stuff, so cannot mod the other 2.

FWIW I have a SF Z2 with Q5 and none of the above lights. I want one, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Also where are you located? Check link in my signature for discount codes. Fenixstore has great rep and service, use discount CPF8 to get 8% off your order. Welcome to CPF :).

IcantC

Enlightened
Also to add what lights do other guys use in your dept? Since many depts use Surefire, you can swap parts in the event of something going bad(tail cap stops working or any other issue).

Also for LE work, the less complicated the light is, the better it is in my opinion. Since it is a backup light, this should not be such a big problem. Lately I have been looking for a single battery backup light and am debating on the SF E1B.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have no complaints about my 6P. I use it all the time at work inspecting TELCO cabinets. I prefer the OEM twist-switch for its durability, but there are a lot of options available. You can also do the lego thing if that suits your fancy. There are a LOT of aftermarket parts available, anything from cheap DX/solarforce to Leaf HAIII if you want the best.

I have dropped it countless times... I don't care since its backed by a lifetime warranty and SF will replace parts with a phone call. I have dropped it hard enough to dent the bezel and put a flat spot on it. Its a little ob-round now but it still works fine:twothumbs.

My DX:11836 has been taken along for the rough ride, and it shows no signs of slowing down. If the really good P60 modules are a step up in durability and reliability, then IMHO you really can't loose.

Ditto what the other member said, IMHO your $$ is better spent upgrading a Xenon 6P. You might also want to consider a Xenon 6PD, and upgrading the module in that. The 6PL seems a little pricey for what it is.... IMHO of course.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is run time an issue? Do you want rechargeable cells or will you use primary cells only? Is beam color important....and what about the physical size, do you have a limit?......

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 6P and Malkoff M60 or M60F. Don't bother with the Fenix. (Before the flame war begins, let me state that I'm not a Fenix-hater. I've got four of five of them and they're fine for home use. No, I don't own a TK-10/11 but I've used them and they're okay but the SF/Malkoff combo is far superior.)

The only downside is that you'll come to dislike your Stinger...

i honestly dont see how the 6P + Malkoff is far superior. i Own a C2+malkoff as well as a Tk10, and each has thier own limitations, and advantages.

and you dont have to be a fenix hater to start a flame war...:tinfoil:

to the original poster:

if youre looking for grip, a Surefire C2 + a malkoff is a much better combination then a 6P+malkoff. The Tk10/Tk11 is also very grippy, more so then a 6P due to the grip ring.

The C2 or 6P plus Malkoff drop-in set up has the advantage of upgradability in the future. the Down side, is that a seperate light unit is a moveable part that can be damaged when dropped. its happened to me before.

The other advantage the C2 and 6P have is the switch. While surefire clicky switches are very dubious, thier "twist for on,tap for momentary" switch is nothing but reliable.

The advantage of the Tk10/Tk11 over the surefire combo is that it has 2 immediatly accesible light levels. If you need the light on for quite awhile you have to consider two things
-heat
-battery life
On a high level such as the high on a Tk10/Tk11 or a malkoff, it will heat up extrmely fast, so a secondary, lower level may be useful.

the other advantage the Tk10/Tk11 might have, is you have immediate access to constant on, without having to twist the tail.

The disadvantage of the Tk10/Tk11 is that eventually it will be superseeded by brighter lights, while in the surefire set up, you can have the ability to upgrade.

the advantage of the Tk11 will be the ability to use a single 18650 battery, something the malkoff does not run well off. using a single 18650 can simplify things for you.

in the end, it comes down to what you need. :)

Crenshaw

superflytnt

Enlightened
If it were me I'd feel comfortable with the Fenix TK11. They have, thus far, proven themselves to be very reliable/durable and the two, easy to access light levels are perfect for this kind of duty. 60 lumens for primary might still be a bit much for up close work so be sure to carry a small low-level light as well (E01?) but for most other uses the TK11 should perform quite well. 60 lumens is plenty for searches and it has a long runtime at this level and 225 lumens is plenty to "blind 'em" or to reach out a long distance (helped by smooth reflector).

As for being upgradeable, I think that 225 lumens will be just fine for many years to come and the efficiency on primary is near the top of the heap.............

Oh and I almost forgot................Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have for several years been selling Chinese made 2x CR123 lithium powered lights with the latest, brightest LEDs to other officers in my and several other Depts, Feds, local, state, etc. Recently all of the brand loyal crowd, the ones that just had to have SF... realized they can get the Cree R2 drop in modules from dealextreem.com and Kaidomain.com and can have a SF with an R2 LED doing 225-250 lumens.

I have been assisting them in obtaining these for their SF. I carry a moddified incandescent 2C light that is doing 900 torch lumens and back it up with a MTE P7 LED light in my pocket. For most purposes the P7 covers it but it is a flood and lacks some distance so because of Murphys Law I recomend and LED with an R2 emmitter, next the Q5 followed by P4.
Brands do not seem to make any difference in my experience but modes do. You want something that is simple on and off or can be used that way in the heat of the battle.

P7 is the led that puts out the most light but it is not the best down range thrower.

The other LED I mentioned are all Cree and ordered by brightness.

You can search other models at the vendors I mentioned by using the LED code for a key word.

Always carry two lights. Have a good one in a pocket as a back up.

Been doing this for over 35 years now. Supervise and teach now. Usually patrol division or Investigation division but find the light must do the same job no matter where it is assigned.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
I'm a US Border Patrol Agent. Lighting is a matter of survival for us. When we track, it can go on for hours. Running out of light is not an option. I carry a Streamlight Stinger LED as primary and have two Fenix L2D Primium Cree lights on my belt. The L2D's are small, very light, bright as heck and I can carry two sets of extra AA's in my pocket or pack. They work great of traffic stops, roadside interviews, etc. The adjustable power options can keep you going forever. I just ordered 120 of them from Fenix Outfitters for our whole office and everyone is very happy. Fenix Outfitters takes care of it's customers.
Jason

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I just got the TK11 yesterday and when it was night time, I went outside to test it out... It is very bright. Also the general mode is perfect for just walking arount and whatnot during the night, but the turbo mode will light up my whole backyard(~50 Square yards) with ease!!! this is a perfect backup light and I can tell you that I will probably not be buying any lights anytime soon...

Overall: 1:this light is really bright(for it's size)
2:comes with a very nice holster(not the best of quality but it's good)
3:Has momentary switch and constant on without having to turn the tailcap(like the 6P)

I am very happy about my purchace.
hope this helps!
~Alex

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I'm not an LEO so I won't even begin to comment about what features you should look for but here are my comments on the lights mentioned below...

1)surefire 6p led
>I was skeptical when I first purchased this light as I'm not one to jump on any brand bandwagons - instead, I look at individual lights and how they perform. With a Malkoff M60, I have to say that this is a great combination. Rock-solid and a lot of output. Running off 2xRCR123's gives a lot of output but runtimes of only about 40 minutes so bring spares. It can run on 1x17670 for extended runtimes but with reduced output (so I've been told)... but I compared the output when running on 1x17670 to my Dereelight CL1H with Q5 drop-in and the hotspots are pretty similar in brightness. I've since dropped this light onto hardwood flooring :ohgeez:but it still works fine with only a few scratches on the bezel... (my SF 6PD is polished so it no longer has the anodized coating).

2)fenix t11
>Don't own this light but some LEO's on this forum use it as their primary duty light. Looks very solid with the added versatility of two light levels. You may also want to look at the new Olight M20 Warrior here; running off 1x18650, you get 3hrs+ at full output. :twothumbs

3)fenix pd3 q5 premium
>Very good light, excellent runtimes. This light was one of the stronger benchmark performers but, IMHO, has been superceded by other lights. Personal observations: Great runtimes on High and very good output on turbo. Can run off 1x17670 but with greatly reduced runtime on Turbo (only 19 minutes) but slightly better runtimes on High (almost 4 hours!). Lately, I've noticed that, after I've cleaned the threads and o-rings, the bezel is now quite a bit more loose so I don't know if I would use it in a scenario where it would be a crucial piece of kit. YMMV.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you end up buying.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello peide01!!!

Welcome to CPF!!!

This is going to be a neat experience for you....

If you buy ANY of the lights being discussed here, I can almost guarantee your Stinger XP will very quickly become your "backup" light, you'll find the compact size and higher output of these options very attractive :)

The Stinger XP is about a 6 watt xenon lamp assembly, good for around 100 torch lumens. (depending on how and when you measure)

Most of the stuff being tossed around here as ideas (The TK11, MalkOff M60 in a SF host, DereeLight CL1H, etc etc) are all going to probably spank the Stinger for output and even runtime, while doing it in a smaller package.

I agree with others though, don't bother with the SureFire 6PLED model. It's one of the dimmest "modern" LED lights of this size class in this price range. The 6P would be better used as a host for a different module, in which case, you just buy the basic incan model and upgrade it.

---------------------------------------

One point I'd like to bring up here, as you may have noticed, there is some strong argument for a Fenix TK10/11, and then the alternative SureFire with a MalkOfff drop-in.

The Argument for the TK11 is 18650 compatibility, multi-mode, good grip, etc.

The argument for the 2 cell SF with MalkOff M60 is upgrade-ability with future tech.

There are certainly other points being made for both lights, but with all things considered, I'm of the belief that the best of both of these options can be combined in totally different options....

A Wolf-Eyes 6 series LED light, (there are several options with different body styles etc etc), or a DereeLight CL1H. Both will operate on an 18650 cell like the Fenix, and both have the option to replace the LED module when technology improves. The DereeLight even has the ability to replace just the "pill" that the LED is mounted to, making upgrades even more cost effective. The Wolf-Eyes modules are buck-regulated, and will run with diminishing output like the TK11, and are available in single mode and multi-mode flavors, While Dereelight has a number of different module types available to meet your mode and battery requirements.

-----------------------------------

I think in the end, the best option boils down to a few major issues:

Single or Multi-mode?
Rechargeable or CR123 primary?
Price range?
Throw or Flood oriented beam?

------------

Eric

NickDrak

Enlightened
I think the Surefire C2L would be a perfect choice for your needs. A C2 with a Malkoff M60 (High Output) would be even better, but you will be pushing it close to the $200 mark with this set-up.

If you wanted to save a few bucks, a G2L (LED) with a Malkoff M60 is perfect as well, but does not have the rubber grip ring of the C2. Just make sure you get the newest version with the aluminum bezel instead of the plastic bezel as it will be a more efficient host for the high output Malkoff M60. You can then use the P60L lamp that comes with the G2L as a spare for when you want extended runtimes over maximum output.

Last edited: