What to do with the Arc AAA pocket clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
I received my first Arc AAA last week (and lost it in less than 24 hours, but that's another story). On a sidenote, the AAA was just as great as I had expected it to be and I am totally devastated by losing it. I might have to start a therapeutic thread on that.

As for the pocket clip, I had been warned from other posts here. Well, it was just as terrible as I had expected.

I took it off as soon as I had opened the package. I am sorry, but I find it hideous and totally mismatched to the AAA in terms of both style and finish.

I lost my light but I'm stuck with the clip (the irony).

Now, I have a problem with throwing away pieces of metal. I guess metal just doesn't feel as disposable as, say, plastic. However, I have failed to come up with any smart uses for the clip. What is even worse, when I order a new AAA I will have two. And then there are rumours that some CPF members own more than one Arc AAA.

So I figure there must be hundreds of leftover AAA clips lying around CPF members' houses, doing no good for humanity.

Any ideas of what to do with them?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello kimchikungfu,

They will fit on a Sharpie marking pen, if you happen to break the clip off of the cap...

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
I turned mine around so it points forward. That lets me wrap a piece of paper around the head, crumpled up into a "balloon" a couple inches in diameter, holding it onto the AAA with the pocket clip. It works as a kind of "lampshade" giving a nice diffuse area light. (In photography that's called a "softbox").

Other ideas I've had are to weld a lanyard eyelet to the clip, and file off the existing lanyard tab. That does two things: 1) lets you stand the light on its end (like Minimag in candle mode) for an area light (bouncing off ceiling is fine); 2) with clip mounted normally (pointing backwards), that puts the lanyard hole at the front of the light, so with the light on your keychain you can still point it at a keyhole while trying to put a key into the lock.

Yet another idea is to have THREE pocket clips on the same sleeve (maybe by welding parts of three clips together), spaced evenly around the light, pointing backwards. Then if you slide it downward til the clips are an inch below the end of the light, they make a "tripod" or stand for the light so use it as a "candle" without having to file off the lanyard tab. You might have to put a coin between the clips to keep them flexed outward. (Maybe it's better to accomplish this with an accessory "stand", i.e. a 1" metal disc with holes for weight relief, with a sleeve in the center you'd stand the light in. You'd use the weight relief holes to clip the stand to your keychain alongside the light).

Just brainstorming...

Darell

Flashaholic
You could always stick it on your Minimag 2xAAA light. But then that comes with its own already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keep it as a spare. You'll use it eventually.

Bummer on your loss...

dro57

Newly Enlightened
Where conservatives gather on the left coast.
Start an environmental movement, "Save the Clips". Organize a rally to find orphaned clips a new home. Call some of the Hollywood celebs to get on the bandwagon, call the Democratic Party for funding this movement...oh, never mind. I've been living in liberal Kalifornia too long (LOL).

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif yaa save the clips! save the clips ! you to can be a part of this ,send your money to onelight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif sorry for your loss. You could list it on buy & sell .... ARC-AAA pocket clip as new gave 26.95 will sell 15.00 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shark

Enlightened
I put mine in that junk drawer that houses all that other useless stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
only one junk drawer???

i have 5 of those... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought...

Maybe we should try some role reversal:

"Peter, we`ll gladly send an Arc AAA pocket clip to you for free. Just send us a SASE!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh. You guys asked and asked for me to include a clip. I don't use one, but you wanted one. I finally found one that met the utility goals and it was cost effective to boot. The chrome on color (like a car) even looks kinda cool. And now I hear you are not using it because of looks? Sheesh Louise.

Peter

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,
I'm sure some folks are using it. Would you like the unused ones back for recycling, I'd gladly send mine in or to a CPFer with an older AAA that needs one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
peter: i think most people use the arc AAA as a keychain light or attach it to a lanyard. personally i've never felt the need for the clip, so the clip is a superfluous option for me. perhaps you could make the clip a free add-on, so people who use it will get it, and they won't go to waste on people who don't (like myself) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, for one, use the pocket clip all the time. I don't want to scratch up the finish by having it on my keychain, and my other pocket holds my Arc LS, and I didn't want those two bumping around on each other. So, the pocket clip works well for me. I'm glad it came with one. Thanks, Peter!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ross

Enlightened
I've left mine on in the hope that the keys on my keyring wont scratch it *quite* as much.....
Also, I clip it to my watch band (G-Shock fabric band) to read with when my missus wants to go to sleep - very handy!

Ross

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the input to this thread. I am amazed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some of your suggestions were just hilarious!

SilverFox, don't have that particular brand of markers, and it wouldn't fit the ones I use.

paulr, you really put some serious thought into this! Are you a designer/inventor by profession?

onelight, I guess your suggestion would be the most appealing to me...are you interested? No? Alright, $10 then??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Gosh. You guys asked and asked for me to include a clip. I don't use one, but you wanted one. I finally found one that met the utility goals and it was cost effective to boot. The chrome on color (like a car) even looks kinda cool. And now I hear you are not using it because of looks? Sheesh Louise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter, I am innocent! A few months ago I didn't even know of Arc Flashlights! (or even CPF for that matter)

But yes, I don't use the clip because of looks, not function.

Actually, the smaller the light the more useful it is to have a pocket clip. I can most certainly understand the demand and I think it is great that you offer the clip as an option.

My only criteria are that it be removable (check) and matched to the light (um). Perhaps if the AAA didn't look so good in itself I wouldn't care. It really is a very good looking flashlight. But this is of course very subjective. I am probably a lot more concerned with looks than the average CPF member. But hey, I did suggest a functional color in your anodize poll!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Kimchikungfu,

I too am sorry for your loss and I think it's admirable that no one has pointed out the fact that if you had had the BU pocket clip on your Arc AAA and deployed when in your watch pocket, you might not have a clip sans light now.

CPFer's are so understanding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif me..........

Status
Not open for further replies.