Wanted: a 4xAA 200+lumens flashlight

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't know why such a model doesn't exist. With the cells in a group the lenght of the light would be about the same as the Fenix L1D, but the diameter about the same as the handle of a Maglite D light.

The advantages would be several. With a knurled surface it would be very comfortable to hold.

As I charge my AA cells to my L1D and E20 I could easy charge the cells to this light, but 4 at the same time instead of 1 or 2.

A 4AA Q5 flashlight could provide about the same brightness as the Fenix P3D Q5 at Turbomode but with about twice the runtime if using 2700mAh NiMh.

The AA batteries are available all over the world, if one are at travel and don't want to bring with a charger.

I think such a flashlight would be very attractive.

Regards, Patric

Marduke

Flashaholic
And here is why it doesn't exist:

By putting the cells in a single line, you can mill the cylindrical body on a lathe out of rod or tube stock with very little waste.

By using a "double barreled" design, it is more difficult to mill on a lathe, an oval or flat body is much more expensive to machine. It is also much more difficult to make a water tight opening to put the cells in and out. So, such a shape lends itself to plastic injection molding. There are a number of lights built in this manner which hold 2 or 4 cells in a side by side arrangement. However, plastic doesn't heatsink well, so you are stuck with a light which cannot be ran at a high current level.

So in summary, what you want is expensive, and unlikely to be made because the people wanting it is a VERY small niche market. The large production runs necessary to bring down cost won't happen because there isn't enough demand for such a product.

jupello

Enlightened
Led Lenser P14 uses 4xAA like that, but the output is rated 172lumens(not quite 200+).
I have always feared that it would be a bit thick on hand.. but cant be sure before I get my hands on one :)

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
malkoff 4-5-6 module in bored 1D mag :D

superflytnt

Enlightened
And here is why it doesn't exist:

By putting the cells in a single line, you can mill the cylindrical body on a lathe out of rod or tube stock with very little waste.

By using a "double barreled" design, it is more difficult to mill on a lathe, an oval or flat body is much more expensive to machine. It is also much more difficult to make a water tight opening to put the cells in and out. So, such a shape lends itself to plastic injection molding. There are a number of lights built in this manner which hold 2 or 4 cells in a side by side arrangement. However, plastic doesn't heatsink well, so you are stuck with a light which cannot be ran at a high current level.

So in summary, what you want is expensive, and unlikely to be made because the people wanting it is a VERY small niche market. The large production runs necessary to bring down cost won't happen because there isn't enough demand for such a product.

I think the OP is talking about 4 cells in a single level square arrangment.

I don't know of any production light that fits those specs..............

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wanted Pelican/PT/SL/UK to make such a light for years.... but to no avail. The closest thing I have been able to find is the expensive AE W30 dive light. It puts 3xAA's end to end....instead of next to each other which would have been cool.... but it does hit the 200 lumen level and is extreemly durable and waterproof. Sorry no 4AA I can recomend to you that meets your requirements.
2436006065_bafe8850dd.jpg

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
doesn't this design also make it harder to regulate the circuitry or something?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old princeton rec 40 is side by side 4 cell.However,its nowhere near 200 lumens.Although, if you put in a 4 cell maglite bube its plenty bright for most circumstances and has insane flood.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies,

In comparison to the thought of the first reply of you Marduke, I am not convinced that very few people would find a 4AA 200 lumens flashlight attractive. But maybe you have right it would be more expensive to produce. There are several 3xAAA flashlight designs on the market, however so I cannot see why there almost not exist any 4xAA in the same design.

I actually have a Ledlenser 3xAA flashlight since several years, I think it was called Quadrat plus or similar. This is very comfortable to hold much better than the Fenix models, because it has a strong knurled surface over a big part of the body. Something like that design, but with the Fenix reflector and a 4AA configuration is what I want.

It may be interesting to see the new Ledlenser models like the new 172 lumens 4AA model (thanks for the link Glenn7), how they perform, and how their beam shape is. The beam shape (don't know if it's the right word for it) of the earlier Ledlenser was like a very wide centerspot but without sidespill. Such a design makes the flashlight suitable for neither very short or very long distances, buit great at a distance between...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have trouble trusting that led Lenser, there is no way it gets 180 hours of battery life, at least not at 172 lumens. I can only assume that it either does not last that long or gradually loses brightness until it is no longer usable. I'm stupid I didn't notice that it has three brightness settings, so I'm sure the 180 hours is on its lowest setting. Still seems a bit unlikely, but possible at least. I love that it has a focusable head! I wish there were some more reviews on this light.

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
Something like that design, but with the Fenix reflector and a 4AA configuration is what I want.

What what what? I'm thinking you havent tried the led lenser's new adjustable optics. In my opinion it is far superior to fenix reflectors, or anything I'we seen in other lights. Here you can see some beamshots from the P7 model:

ledlenser-p7-12.jpg

Beam fully focused on high brightness setting.

ledlenser-p7-14.jpg

Beam fully unfocused on the high setting. (these pictures are from the P7 review here: http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/led_lenser_p7_led_flashlight_8407_ It also includes the beamshots on low brightness setting, if someone is interested )

P14 should have similiar beam, just little brighter. And ofcourse you can adjust the beam into anything between those two focus settings seen in the pictures.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
What what what? I'm thinking you havent tried the led lenser's new adjustable optics. In my opinion it is far superior to fenix reflectors, or anything I'we seen in other lights. Here you can see some beamshots from the P7 model:

ledlenser-p7-12.jpg

Beam fully focused on high brightness setting.

ledlenser-p7-14.jpg

Beam fully unfocused on the high setting. (these pictures are from the P7 review here: http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/led_lenser_p7_led_flashlight_8407_ It also includes the beamshots on low brightness setting, if someone is interested )

P14 should have similiar beam, just little brighter. And ofcourse you can adjust the beam into anything between those two focus settings seen in the pictures.
good post - I don't know why every body keeps bashing LL - the new generation LL are good - unless you pick one up and actually try it in the dark its just an uneducated opinion
here is a thread that might interest you http://translate.google.com.au/tran...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=6NV&sa=N
Also https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188484

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jupello,

You are absolutely right, I have not tried the new Led Lenser! Thanks for the info. When I see the pictures I suspect this Ledlenser actually is the flashlight I am looking for!

Regards, Patric

jupello

Enlightened
Swedpat, yep, if the beam shape was your biggest concern I think you'll be fine with it (atleast I love the optics system in them) :)
By the way, the user interface on those new LL's is a bit different than what's seen on other lights, there's good presentation on how it works at http://www.ledlenserusa.com/technology.php --> "Digital technology" --> "Quick-cycle switch".

Glenn7, thanks for the links, they where really enlightening. It was nice to see some actual runtime charts since the manufacturer uses those ridiculous runtime estimates. According to them P7 gives 90minutes of 100+ lumen output and drops pretty fast after that.. so I'd guess that P14 with eneloops would give 3+ hours of bright light on high.

Now I'm really tempted to go and buy P14.. but I think the price is a bit abowe my planned budget :broke: ..atleast I'll go and see if some local store has them so I could try it on hand :whistle: