Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: dorcy 220 lumen

Default dorcy 220 lumen

bought this at sears around $50 rechargeable cree xre its dang bright to me
    almost as bright as my ulrta stinger anyone else try this one

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414299

Default Re: dorcy 220 lumen

No I don't have this one. Want to share some beam shots? Glad you like it though.

I had seen that but the gutless battery pack was the turn off for me. 700mAH Nicads?

Can you take the battery pack out and change it at least?

I was looking at that the other day.. might be a good host for modding as well.

in for beamshots and dissassembled pics
    If it ain't bright, It ain't right!

Last edited by spectrak; 09-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    ultra stinger,dorcy 220 lumen, edc p7, Malkoff md2, 6D mag, and a few others.

Last edited by spectrak; 09-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Looks cool, but I'm gonna look around for some more reviews on this one. Dorcy has been hit or miss with me in terms of qc and durability. My Spyder has been my on and off edc and I have no complaints, but the 2 X CR123 6W was accidently dropped from 3ft onto concrete resulting in a busted tailcap within hours of purchase. The switch itself is still intact, but the ugly housing with the goofy rubber thing came off right at the o-ring. I've also had flickering issues on other models.

lol, any bigger pictures? can't hardly see stuff in those

The collar that covers the charger port is threaded loosely on the one I just bought. Needs an O-ring to butt up against to keep it from wiggling loose.

An 18650 fits and I just need to make an adapter to try it out. Of course that won't allow the charger to work but I have lots of 18650 batteries laying around.

Ultra Stinger was what was in the back of my mind. I haven't bought a new battery pack for mine since it packed it in so this makes a good LED alternative.
    My doctor says I am a paranoid narcissist. I have the feeling I am plotting against myself.
    Rule #9: Always carry a knife. Rule #9a: Always carry a flashlight.

Am I right in assuming that the battery pack is a 4.8v nicad pack. I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like there are four in series.

I would also like to know if this light uses a buck circuit or if it is resisted. It seems like it would be a good mod light if it already had a buck circuit that could perhaps take higher voltages than 4.8(which i know it can at least a little more. In any case it looks as if two 14500s could fit in there or maybe two 18500s. I know it is wishful to think it could handle 8.4.

cree taskforce left dorcy on right this is from 15'
    Last edited by spectrak; 09-23-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: learning

white fence is about 40' wood fence is 100' taskforce

dorcy

Flashaholic*

I would think that a purchaser of this light could find a battery dealer to build a NiMH stick to replace the OEM one and still be able to use the chargers, not?

finding a new/better battery should not be a problem i tried it with 2 123a's for a couple of minutes and it still works so maybe there is some hope
    Last edited by spectrak; 09-23-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: im stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Pellidon View Post
    The collar that covers the charger port is threaded loosely on the one I just bought. Needs an O-ring to butt up against to keep it from wiggling loose.

An 18650 fits and I just need to make an adapter to try it out. Of course that won't allow the charger to work but I have lots of 18650 batteries laying around.

Ultra Stinger was what was in the back of my mind. I haven't bought a new battery pack for mine since it packed it in so this makes a good LED alternative.
    i agree about the o-ring the charge port cover is the one thing i dont like about this one and i have 18650's on order

Quote Originally Posted by Misterbean View Post
    Am I right in assuming that the battery pack is a 4.8v nicad pack. I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like there are four in series.

I would also like to know if this light uses a buck circuit or if it is resisted. It seems like it would be a good mod light if it already had a buck circuit that could perhaps take higher voltages than 4.8(which i know it can at least a little more. In any case it looks as if two 14500s could fit in there or maybe two 18500s. I know it is wishful to think it could handle 8.4.
    it is a 4.8v 700mAh (weak) bat 4 in series is correct reposted a better pic. The lens is the same size as a mag so it should be easy to find a good replacement the stock one is cheap easy scratch plastic (again weak) I have not pulled the light apart enough to see what kind if any circuit is running it the strange charge port makes me not want to screw with it but if something was to happen to it i still think it would be a good host

Wow spectrak those were great beamshots! I am amazed at how the Dorcy stomps the Task Force.

yes it does stomp it i bought the dorcy first and was amazed by it but had nothing to compare it to so i went and got the taskforce because of all the things i had read about it. Well i will just say i still havent decided if i am going to keep it. The dorcy is well worth the 20 extra dollars imho even if the bat is crap
    Last edited by spectrak; 09-24-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    Wow spectrak those were great beamshots! I am amazed at how the Dorcy stomps the Task Force.
    FINALLY!!!! Somebody is giving this light its due!! I stated the same thing a month ago and nobody listened to me!!!!. It IS worth the extra $20.00 and it DOES blow away the almighty TF!!. True, it is not a Wolfeyes or a Surefire......but it is $50.00!!!!. The metal parts of the light are made very well in my opinion. The lens is cheap, but looks like it can be easily replaced.

Mike

Unenlightened

I bought this one 2 weeks ago and it is amazing. The only problems that I can see are with the battery (of course) and the ambiguity of its water resistance (due to the charger port). I haven't ordered a new lens yet, but I plan to.

Since I'm kind of new to this, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas for a battery mod?

A new friend came over last night with one of these Dorcy 220's and I got to compare it to my "harrum" of flashlights. It is bright, I estimate right off the bat that its true out the front output is a good 200 lumens. It has a well focused hotspot and the typical darker cree ring around it and than a larger ring of what I would say is useful spill. It was very close in throw to the Malkoff single Drop In for the mag light, that I specifically had in my 3 C cell mag. Looking at palm trees at least 100 feet away, where all we could see is the hot spot, these 2 were very close to each other.

The beam had some artificacts up close on a white wall and its leans to the purplish side where the Malkoff leans to the green side. My friend was saying he was getting good run time off the batteries even though he didn't do the full initial 10 hour charge.

Two 17500's fit into the compartment with a little room to spare. I am guessing 2 X 18500 would fit in there easily but the voltage would be high.

This looks like a direct drive light with probably only a ballast resistor in series to the light path, so I don't know if we could run it off 2 3.7 to 4.2V batteries without killing it. It was his and I didn't want to find out the hard way and possibly kill it.

Overall I would say its worth the $50.00 despite the battery pack situation.

Wow, nice thrower! I wonder if they make a version that isn't rechargeable for less that we could mod with different cells and put a buck circuit in.
    Mags: 2C: R/O, True Cyan, UV. 3C:Penta-XR-E Q5, Single SSC P4. Nitecore D10, Fenix LOD-CE, ArcAAA

Well -- I'm new to CPF, too. Dunno why, but I bought this Dorcy 220 lumen light today, and I've been fooling around with it a bit. Nice bright light, haven't found the limitation of the battery pack yet, but -- if I can figure out what to put in it, this 700 mah rating is leaving!

Interesting thing, I've been buying all kinds of different flashlights for some years now, and I just figured to call this my "eclectic" hobby -- and now I find I'm not the only one in the country doing this!

Any suggestions on what batteries to use in this flashlight, and where to get a lens to replace the cheap one that is so easily scratched?

Thanks,
    Earl
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

Protected 18650's would work very well, the Ultrafire ones are 2400mAh. I get about 2 weeks of moderate use out of 1 in my SF 6P with a generic Cree module.

I'm not totally up to speed on a lot of this stuff -- could the aforementioned "protected 18650's" be charged with the same charger as the original pack uses?

And -- -- where should I look to pick up a couple?

The voltage seems a little high, too -- the original pack is labelled as 4.8VDC total.

Thanks,
    Earl
    Last edited by KD5XB; 10-20-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KD5XB View Post
    I'm not totally up to speed on a lot of this stuff -- could the aforementioned "protected 18650's" be charged with the same charger as the original pack uses?

And -- -- where should I look to pick up a couple?

The voltage seems a little high, too -- the original pack is labelled as 4.8VDC total.

Thanks,
    Earl

http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-...p_24-2263.html

you'd need a lithium charger,

http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-...p_21-2279.html

they charge up to about 4.2-4.3 volts. Plenty to run this light.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    you'd need a lithium charger,
    Rats! That pretty much puts the brakes on this one -- I want to use this thing in the 18-wheeler, and I want to have it all in one piece as much as I can. Trying to find a dropped cell when you're doing 65 MPH is rather difficult -- and maybe a bit hazardous, too!

they charge up to about 4.2-4.3 volts. Plenty to run this light.
    What I'm thinking is that the voltage would be too high with two of these lithium batteries in series -- or are you talking of using only one cell?

Thanks!

Enlightened

Amazon has this for $42.38 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
    I would think that a purchaser of this light could find a battery dealer to build a NiMH stick to replace the OEM one and still be able to use the chargers, not?
    You can buy parts here: https://www.dorcydirect.com/p-209-41...ble-parts.aspx

Extra OEM battery pack is $7.99

Flashaholic*

I just received a 41-4299, complete with both chargers, in today's mail, so the light is charging up so it will be ready for my 20:00 - 06:00 shifts 2008-10-24 & 25, so I will report back on its performance after trying it out while dealing with my "clients".

Lights WILL shine, boys - oh yeah!

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast