dorcy 220 lumen

highseas

Newly Enlightened
No I don't have this one. Want to share some beam shots? Glad you like it though.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had seen that but the gutless battery pack was the turn off for me. 700mAH Nicads? :crackup:

Can you take the battery pack out and change it at least?

Superdave

Enlightened
I was looking at that the other day.. might be a good host for modding as well.

in for beamshots and dissassembled pics :thumbsup:

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
P1010872-1.jpg

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened
Looks cool, but I'm gonna look around for some more reviews on this one. Dorcy has been hit or miss with me in terms of qc and durability. My Spyder has been my on and off edc and I have no complaints, but the 2 X CR123 6W was accidently dropped from 3ft onto concrete resulting in a busted tailcap within hours of purchase. The switch itself is still intact, but the ugly housing with the goofy rubber thing came off right at the o-ring. I've also had flickering issues on other models.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The collar that covers the charger port is threaded loosely on the one I just bought. Needs an O-ring to butt up against to keep it from wiggling loose.

An 18650 fits and I just need to make an adapter to try it out. Of course that won't allow the charger to work but I have lots of 18650 batteries laying around.

Ultra Stinger was what was in the back of my mind. I haven't bought a new battery pack for mine since it packed it in so this makes a good LED alternative.

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
Am I right in assuming that the battery pack is a 4.8v nicad pack. I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like there are four in series.

I would also like to know if this light uses a buck circuit or if it is resisted. It seems like it would be a good mod light if it already had a buck circuit that could perhaps take higher voltages than 4.8(which i know it can at least a little more. In any case it looks as if two 14500s could fit in there or maybe two 18500s. I know it is wishful to think it could handle 8.4.

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
finding a new/better battery should not be a problem i tried it with 2 123a's for a couple of minutes and it still works so maybe there is some hope

Last edited:

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
The collar that covers the charger port is threaded loosely on the one I just bought. Needs an O-ring to butt up against to keep it from wiggling loose.

An 18650 fits and I just need to make an adapter to try it out. Of course that won't allow the charger to work but I have lots of 18650 batteries laying around.

Ultra Stinger was what was in the back of my mind. I haven't bought a new battery pack for mine since it packed it in so this makes a good LED alternative.

i agree about the o-ring the charge port cover is the one thing i dont like about this one and i have 18650's on order

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
Am I right in assuming that the battery pack is a 4.8v nicad pack. I can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like there are four in series.

I would also like to know if this light uses a buck circuit or if it is resisted. It seems like it would be a good mod light if it already had a buck circuit that could perhaps take higher voltages than 4.8(which i know it can at least a little more. In any case it looks as if two 14500s could fit in there or maybe two 18500s. I know it is wishful to think it could handle 8.4.

it is a 4.8v 700mAh (weak) bat 4 in series is correct reposted a better pic. The lens is the same size as a mag so it should be easy to find a good replacement the stock one is cheap easy scratch plastic (again weak) I have not pulled the light apart enough to see what kind if any circuit is running it the strange charge port makes me not want to screw with it but if something was to happen to it i still think it would be a good host

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Wow spectrak those were great beamshots!:thumbsup: I am amazed at how the Dorcy stomps the Task Force.

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
yes it does stomp it i bought the dorcy first and was amazed by it but had nothing to compare it to so i went and got the taskforce because of all the things i had read about it. Well i will just say i still havent decided if i am going to keep it. The dorcy is well worth the 20 extra dollars imho even if the bat is crap

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow spectrak those were great beamshots!:thumbsup: I am amazed at how the Dorcy stomps the Task Force.

FINALLY!!!!:twothumbs Somebody is giving this light its due!! I stated the same thing a month ago and nobody listened to me!!!!:mecry:. It IS worth the extra $20.00 and it DOES blow away the almighty TF!!:D. True, it is not a Wolfeyes or a Surefire......but it is $50.00!!!!. The metal parts of the light are made very well in my opinion. The lens is cheap, but looks like it can be easily replaced.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I bought this one 2 weeks ago and it is amazing. The only problems that I can see are with the battery (of course) and the ambiguity of its water resistance (due to the charger port). I haven't ordered a new lens yet, but I plan to.

Since I'm kind of new to this, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas for a battery mod?