Will a Cree R2 work as a drop in for a 14.4V Ryobi worklight?

grumfan

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, Would a Cree R2 work as a drop in, (electrically) in a 14.4 v Ryobi worklight? It currently runs a KPR 14.4 0.7a bulb, form factor for the bulb seems to be a match for a regular incandescent flashlight bulb.
Thanks!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, provided that the dropin accepts 17V (the one I think you're talking about does) and that you understand that the R2 claim is most likely a lie.

DM51

Flashaholic
You posted 2 identical threads to this one in B/S/T, which was the wrong forum for them. I have deleted them.

Please be careful about double-posting, and if you find you have posted in the wrong forum the correct procedure is to ask a moderator to move the thread, not to cross-post another one.

grumfan

Newly Enlightened
>You posted 2 identical threads to this one in B/S/T, which was the wrong forum for them. I have deleted them.

Thank You for deleting those. I was looking for a way to do that once I understood that "B/S/T" means "For Sale" etc...

Is there a way to cancel a post that one has made in error without requiring a moderator to intervene?

> Please be careful about double-posting,

Sure - the double post in the BST forum/thread happened because my first attempt to post the question got an error message from the server "server too busy" was roughly what it said, so I sent it again.

> and if you find you have posted in the wrong forum the correct > procedure is to ask a moderator to move the thread, not to cross-post another one.

grumfan

Newly Enlightened
Hi LukeA,
No, I dont understand that the R2 claim is mostly a lie. Whats up with that?

DM51

Flashaholic
Is there a way to cancel a post that one has made in error without requiring a moderator to intervene?
You can edit the contents of your own posts, but you cannot delete them entirely.

Sometimes patience is required, as it can look like the server has not responded, when in fact it has. Hitting the "Post reply" button again too soon will often result in a double post.

If you do accidentally double-post in a thread, edit one of the posts by replacing the text with "Double post". If you post a new thread by accident, just change the title to "Please delete" and the next moderator who comes along will delete it.

grumfan

Newly Enlightened
R2s are extremely difficult to find currently, even for top customers, which these no-name companies aren't.

OK, :) This tells me that an "R2" is something specific, and that Cree's "R2" is probably not one of them?

I'm new to all this (obviously). Is there a Reference article or FAQ that goes over what terms like "R2" means? I typically read references straight through neginning to end in one session. I find it saves me time in the long run.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cree is the LED company, XR-E is the model, and R2 is one of the flux bins for the LED. Flux is how efficient/bright a LED is. For Cree, the more common bins, in order of efficiency/output, is P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2. There are others, check here. The difference between, for example, P4-Q2 isn't big because our eyes don't sense light linearly. The lower priced companies are probably depending on this so they probably use Q5s instead of R2s because R2s are heard to get.

If you are speaking of the 4-18v drop-in, then as long as yo have enough heatsinking, it should work.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, :) This tells me that an "R2" is something specific, and that Cree's "R2" is probably not one of them?

I'm new to all this (obviously). Is there a Reference article or FAQ that goes over what terms like "R2" means? I typically read references straight through neginning to end in one session. I find it saves me time in the long run.

Well, the LED is a Cree. The model is XR-E. The bin is claimed to be R2 (the highest available - but very scarce). R2-bin XR-Es are scarce enough that first-tier customers are having trouble acquiring them, and whoever makes these dropins is not a first-tier customer.