Why the KL1 on E1E???

W

WayneR

Like many others, I was blissfully happy with my current flashlight collection (Mag 3D & mini, Photon, 6P). Then I found CPF!!! Now I have a new Opalec module, an ARC-LE AAA, an Everled, and an E1E!!! And am trying to decide what's next....

I have a question, though. I'm having a hard time trying to see the advantage of adding a KL1 to my E1E. Seems that the light output is essentially the same, runtime is essentially the same, etc. I know that the KL1 lasts "forever" and provides some light for quite a while, but don't see the advantage for $50.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
hello WayneR and welcome!

yes, the output is only slightly higher with the KL1 (17 vs 15 lumens with the incan I think) and slightly wider, although not as wide as e.g. the Inova X5T.

some people prefer the whiter color of led light to the more yellowish tone of the regular bulb. then again, you will find there are plenty of people who complain about the tint of their leds. this means that all leds (that I know of) have some sort of tint, or offset from pure white, to their output, such as blue, purple, etc. this is obviously less preferable to purely white light. some people are even bothered by this to such a degree that they wil prefer regular incan light.

the tint will of course depend on the type of led and also on the variation within one and the same type of led. this is one of the reasons you pay a premium for hand-picked leds.

with my KL1 (which temporarily sits on my E2e) I would say that the slightly bluish tint is no problem at all. color rendition is still much better than with the incan. in fact, I am planning to move my KL1 to the E1e as soon as I can afford one. i miss the 60 lumens output from the E2e with the incan bulb and also need a more pocketable light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

last but not least, the fact that the led is virtually unbreakable is a big plus in my book, particularly for an edc that may have to function as an emergency task light.

are those features worth the extra $50? yes, if you can afford it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

do note, however, that the KL1 will increase the length of your light sligtly. the E1e should still be fairly pocketable though.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would say the biggest advantage of the KL1 is the durability. You can literally throw the light around, no worries about the lamp anymore.

The second advantage is the regulated output. It stays right at 17 lumen for about 90 min then falls off. So you can use "used" 123 in it and get full output, very handy for using up those questionable batteries lying around.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I gotta agree with Brock's three points. I also find the wide beam of the KL1 and cooler color temperature to to be benefits. I haven't used my MN01 since I got the KL1. Plus, there are some retailers offering it for cheaper than $50, if that helps your decision.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Oh, yes I forgot to mention the regulation. To me that's a major selling point in any flashlight, and certainly worth paying extra for.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Yes, regulation definately affects my usage of a flashlight, just like rechargeables. I like not feeling like I have to turn the light out lest I waste battery power I may need later.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KL-1 will shine brightly when the MN01 lamp won't even attempt to give the least bit of glow. The NEW KL-1 design adds a litte bit of a more aggressive bezel and just plain looks cooler than the standard head. I have also had an MN01 spark out after a 4' drop onto a carpeted floor, where my KL-1 is rock solid.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could only add to the other members comments. I blew a MNO1 after I accidental put it in a E2e, I was going to buy another one but the KL1 is just a better choice. The MN01 doesn't throw far enough to keep it on the E1e. IMO the E1e should of came with a KL1, because the MN01 is pretty much obsolete in my book when you have the KL1.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
I remember reading somewhere that there's a dealer who actually sells the E1e/KL1 as a combo without the MN01 bezel. Apparently there's a slight saving to buying them separately, but I don't remember who that was. Could it be Tactical Warehouse? Seems like a good deal anyway, since the regular head won't be of any use.

[EDIT] Oh, you already have the E1e...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason you would want the MNO1 instead of the KL1 on the E1e is a bit of a longer throw. Otherwise, it'd make sense to go ahead and buy a KL1 along with any E1e purchase you'd make...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
durability
"lamp" life
coolness factor
wider light
regulated
better looking

vs.

longer throwing
shorter
err...

also, you may well get over 20lumens, depending on the actual ledn used...

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Another good point on the kl1 is that when it drops out of regulation you still have a working light to get you out of whatever dark spot you are in .I have had incandesents go to yellow and out in a couple of minutes.If you are in an attic or building or even the woods at night the led can get you out even in moon mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. It takes awhile to COMPLETELY exhaust a single 123 with the KL1... Just when you think it's dead, you turn it off, back on, and it's still chuggin' more light...

Lightoleum

Newly Enlightened
The color of my E1e/KL1 seemed 'white enough' until I got my hands on a First Run ARC LS. The LS makes my particular KL1 look positively purple by comparison. I still EDC the E1e/KL1, but I'm now less than completely enthusiastic about its color quality.