SF L1 switch issues (Solved!)

I've been carrying an L1 for over a year, and in the past month or so, it has become difficult to activate the high mode. I have to press the button quite firmly, which is uncomfortable. If I twist the light on, I can tighten it without it activating. I have to turn it so hard that it feels like it might be damaging the threads, it takes quite some force to tighten it down and loosen it at that point. I'd say I have to make it about as tight as the head was from the factory.

Once I set it at high, it doesn't flicker, it stays there until I loosen it. I think it's an issue with the tailcap. I was looking inside the tailcap, and saw what looks like a circuit board. I don't know how these work, could there be an issue with that board?

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF L1 switch issues

The first thing I'd try is cleaning off any contact areas, preferably with deoxit, if not then with a very mild abrasive like a pencil eraser followed by an alcohol swab. If that doesn't do it then definately try to get some deoxit and get all the tailcap internals wet, and see if that doesn't fix it. If that fails then I'd be calling surefire up for a replacement tailcap. In fact you may want to do that first so it's on the way while you try some solutions to get yours working again.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had the same issue a couple of times with my A2. I just cleaned and relubricated the threads and it was fine. I put it down to dirt building up.

Regards,
Tempest

greenLED

Flashaholic

:thinking:
It seems to me like the little metal tabs in the inside of the switch may be flattened from continued use (and if you regularly tighten the tailcap hard, they'll get flattened with use).

Try raising them again with a toothpick.

If that and cleaning all contacts (which I don't think is the problem here), call SF.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thinking:
It seems to me like the little metal tabs in the inside of the switch may be flattened from continued use (and if you regularly tighten the tailcap hard, they'll get flattened with use).

Try raising them again with a toothpick.

thats probably the most likley cause...

i still cant figure out which ones go where though..lol

Crenshaw

Hmm, I see the tabs.. If I do that, what's to keep them from flattening again? It seems like repeated "fixing" of the problem will just weaken the metal.

superflytnt

Enlightened

Hmm, I see the tabs.. If I do that, what's to keep them from flattening again? It seems like repeated "fixing" of the problem will just weaken the metal.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that if I were you (and you shouldn't have to with a well designed switch). I would just clean all the "tabs" and the end of the battery tube that they contact with alcohol or Deoxit and see if that helps first. If it doesn't, contact SF for a new tailcap.

greenLED

Flashaholic

If I do that, what's to keep them from flattening again?
You not repeatedly overtightening the tailcap? :)

I've had to tweak an L1/A2 tailcap only once. The problem never resurfaced. You don't need to lift the tabs more than 1mm or so for the tailcap to work reliably.

greenLED said:
I've had to tweak an L1/A2 tailcap only once. The problem never resurfaced. You don't need to lift the tabs more than 1mm or so for the tailcap to work reliably.

I never tightened it past where it would stay on high until this started happening.

greenLED

Flashaholic

I never tightened it past where it would stay on high until this started happening.

:laughing: Neither did I in my A2; it sort of happened over time, somehow. Once I lifted the tabs, it's never happened again. :shrug:

I received my replacement tailcap in the mail today, and it works like new. Upon inspection, it appears that two of the small metal tabs broke off. I don't know why or where they went. Thanks all for the suggestions.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I received my replacement tailcap in the mail today, and it works like new. Upon inspection, it appears that two of the small metal tabs broke off. I don't know why or where they went. Thanks all for the suggestions.
:ohgeez:I totally forgot about that as a potential source of trouble.

When I did the A2 LED shootout, one of the A2's I was using had the tabs broken like that.

Glad SF took care of you.