If you only had 1 choice, which one

Albinoni

Banned
Picture this, your living in your street and down the road there's a small torch shop. In this shop they only sell two branded LED torch lights, being the Surefire E1B Backup or the Fenix P1D Q5. You need to make the decision to buy only one torch and one that is. Whats going to happen your street the following evening will be a power outage due to some big electrical work being carried out and you need to use either one of these torches for all round general use, which one would it be and why ?

yalskey

Enlightened
Boy, that's awfully contrived, but ok... :)

I'd get the Fenix because it's cheaper. I'd take the money I saved from NOT buying the Surefire and put it towards other stuff I might need for the event, such as dry ice, non-perishable food, etc.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Like Yalskey, I would go with the Fenix because with the money saved I can buy a BIG box of batteries and other supplies.

If batteries and other supplies are no problem, however, I would go with the Surefire, because I think the user interface and head twisting of the Fenix would get annoying pretty fast if I use the flashlight for a long time.

MSI

Enlightened
To be honest, it would be neither. I have both these and IMO none of them is good for all round general use. The P1D is too small and I really dislike the twisty interface. The E1B can't tailstand, something which is very important for a torch you are going to use inside your house. The E1B can be equipped with a Z68 tailcap to solve this problem (or a delrin tailguard), but the runtime on high is too low for this kind of use.
Instead my choice would be between Fenix P3D/PD30 and SureFire E2L with Z68 tail and F04 diffuser.
The cheapest would be to go for the Fenix P3D/PD30, but personally I like E2L's TIR optic beam better when used outdoors. Both are excellent lights and both are among my favourite lights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the price difference between those 2 lights is two to one (2 Fenixes ~ 1 SF) so I'd take the Fenix. Maybe I'd get 2.

I imagine the Twisty would be a bit more reliable, as well...

If the prices were the same, I'd get the SF because...well...it would normally cost more...:shrug:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
At half the price my choice would be the Fenix and put some $$$ into backup batteries. You'd still have money left over for an E01 and extra AAA cells for really low-light needs.

superflytnt

Enlightened
LOL, I just love realistic scenarios :crackup:

At the current prices I'd go with the Fenix every time. I own an E1B, and I love it, but I wouldn't pay current prices for one. The fenix doesn't go as low as the SF (which is still a good 10 lumens) so doesn't have as good runtimes on low but does pretty good on high and is smaller with a more reliable switch.

I really am happy with my E1B with it's long throwing beam, warm tint, excellent clip and two really useful levels but if I had been shopping for a 1-cr123 light with the current SF prices I would have ended up buying a Fenix.

loanshark

Enlightened
I'd get the Fenix, and some other cheaper light as a backup, the E01 as Kramer5150 sugested is an excellent light to have in an extended power outage. I use my E01 as a candle to shower with from time to time... If they don't have the E01 I'd still get the P1D and some other AA based light....

P.S. I'm jealous, the power almost never goes out at my place...:thumbsdow

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'd get the P1DQ5, and spend the remaining money on a Leef body for it.

I'd have a much more versatile flashlight, with a great general purpose beam, several modes to chose from, a great clicky switch included, and a smaller footprint.

Patriot

Flashaholic
E1B. Twisting gets annoying after a while if it's the only light that you have plus they aren't very "tactical" if the need should arise. I have a couple of P1D's and they're great little lights though. I use them for back-ups to my primary lights.

Yapo

Enlightened
Well I'd definitely go with the Fenix P1D Q5 especially if the price was the same as 4sevens.com at <$US50 after discount.
And having seen the prices of some surefires here in australia i wouldnt be suprised if the E1B was selling for over $US200 since the price increase from surefire as well as the drop in $AU I dont really have much of a choice!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1B and P1D CE - between the two I would choose the Surefire hands down.

To me the P1D just doesn't feel like a light I would 100% rely on - it feels cheapish and toyish to me. The E1B, well, is just bomb-proof.

Besides:

1) Whats use is the turbo mode on the P1D if you cant use it for more than the suggested 10 mins?

2) The E1Bs 80 lumens easily surpasses the 95 lumens of the P1D (my E1B spanks the 135 lumen turbo on my P1D CE).

3) The 5 lumen low seems to surpass the double digit fenix low (and for 30+ hours)

4) I hate the constant twisting of the fenix UI to get a different mode and strobe and SOS are a waste.

5) The P1D is too small for me to comfortably hold and grip as a gen usage light.

Just my opinion :devil:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
The scenario doesn't say that you have little funds so I am wondering why folks are throwing up the "I'm picking the Fenix and buying batteries for the money saved" argument :poke:Does this mean that given generous funds , you lot will get the EB1?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The scenario doesn't say that you have little funds so I am wondering why folks are throwing up the "I'm picking the Fenix and buying batteries for the money saved" argument :poke:Does this mean that given generous funds , you lot will get the EB1?

OP asks "make the decision to buy", hence my consideration of cost.

Given generous funds I would have chosen differently. I still would have chosen an E01 and AAA cells as a backup... if at all possible.

I see all kinds of bickering between these two corporations for their differing philosophies. In all honestly, I would choose the E1B over the Fenix P1D for the simple fact that I believe the P1D has the worst UI of any flashlight I have ever seen. That being said, I still believe Fenix is one of best flashlight manufacturers ever.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the principle of the thing. Being efficient and balanced in life's decisions means considering the cost of things, in time or money or opportunity, always...even if the extra $50 for an E1B does not weight heavily on your annual budget.

Besides, as an engineer, I don't know how NOT to consider cost when making a studied decision, and that is always the default.

Gator762

Enlightened
I think even prices aside, the E1B is out hands-down.

It can't tail stand, which is a big reason why you're buying it before a power outage. Personally, I tail stand a lot with my EDC light, so it's really out, not even looking at the prices (unless it was in the dollar store).

Newly Enlightened
I'd get the P1DQ5, and spend the remaining money on a Leef body for it.

I'd have a much more versatile flashlight, with a great general purpose beam, several modes to chose from, a great clicky switch included, and a smaller footprint.

X2. The Leef body fixes everything that's wrong with the P1DQ5. That's what I did and it's a whole 'nother animal...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the size, multiple modes, efficency, and beam make the P1D the more general purpose light. I think the small size is a bonus as your always able to very easily carry it. You will often use it tail-standing for general purpose. I don't find the twisty interface on the P1D a problem for this type of usage, although some of my P1D twist nicer than others.

Since cost is not the issue, as others have mention the Leef body converts the light to a Clicky if that becomes an issue.

I have both these lights, and I love them both. I happen to be not carrying the P1D (which is in my coat and it is summer), and I'm carring the E1B because it is new and fun, but I have a twisty BitZ with me as well.