LED Light with short reflector

red_rock

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, so thanks for your help.

I'm designing a LED light for NASA and need some advice on a reflector / lens combination. There will only be 20 lights and we don't wont to go thought the process painful process to design and manufacture our own reflector.

We will be using a Cree XR-E LED.
Space is critical and we need the shortest reflector we can find (front to back).

Question:
Can you suggest a LED flashlight that has a short reflector or reflector / lens that we could cannibalize for parts?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could buy the reflectors only instead of a whole light..from DX or KD both will take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to ship, but its cheap ...search the DIY parts section or even the cree flashlights so get whole lights and see what you can use

i cant believe it , its straight from the movie armegeddon :crackup:

LEV Andropov: [annoyed] Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

say it aint so NASA

bob4apple

Enlightened
Well, the absolute shortest reflector might be to just glue down some silver-colored mylar behind the LED. That would probably be the lightest weight option also, which I understand is a major priority for anything journeying to space.

One small favor- if you do choose to implement my suggestion, please post that fact here so I can shamelessly brag that I helped NASA make a flashlight.:welcome:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA lights have good short tiny reflectors ..LOD has a nice floody beam

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LumaPower Incendio & ConneXion share a very shallow reflector.

Contact me via email and I'll see if we can assist you in this project with the parts you need.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree + short reflector is basically an impossible combination. A TIR optic would be a better choice.

Carclo makes two optics, the 10025 and 10144 that would be almost ideal for this. The 10025 is 42mm dia and 8.5mm deep and the 10144 is about 50mm dia and is 10mm deep.

Unfortunately, they don't work with XR-Es, they only work with SSCs.

You could definitely modify those Carclo optics to fit XR-Es (it's just a matter of die height), or you could work with Carclo (British) or an American company to design something similar.

Last edited:

shadowjk

Enlightened
On the other hand, considering who this is for, you have to wonder if they need any throw or if it's for "inside" use...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the 16/17mm Cree reflector from the Sandwich Shoppe.
Its about the smallest one that still makes a uselful light (even if the 19 mm kicks it by far)

Sandwich Shoppes reflectors dont make Rings with Crees!
(and gives considerably better results than any DX-crap)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need more info to be of any real help. What specifics can you give us about useage etc. You are obviously trying to get a floody light, but what diameter?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Simple, don't use a reflector at all. Just put the LED directly behind a lens for a floody light. It doesn't get any shorter.

BTW, greetings from MSFC :wave:

DocD

Enlightened
hi make 21 of these light's and auction it off for the family's the fallen space guys and girls by way of saying thanks for the help form CPF maybe?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple, don't use a reflector at all. Just put the LED directly behind a lens for a floody light. It doesn't get any shorter.

BTW, greetings from MSFC :wave:

+1, take a look at the Zebralight family. Close up work lights really dont get more useful then that.

Crenshaw

PS: wow, nasa huh....cool...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depending on how much you need the light to project, you might not even need a reflector. Or you can do something like McGizmo did with the Sundrop, place a lens a short distance in front of the LED. That seems to make the beam angle smaller and also makes it a more intense.

Do you need a hotspot? Also what battery would you be using?

With all the stuff you have, it might be pretty easy to make you own body and use off the shelf parts for the drivers and such.

:welcome:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: red_rock

Nasa huh! you guys feeling the credit pinch too:broke: :candle:

I guess the best advice I could give is,get all your stuff "in the future" from DX.
They are the cheapest around, like some have said already.
And who knows you might even be able to build a suitable space craft,from the stuff I've seen on their website!!good luck.:twothumbs .

[edited]

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Cree + short reflector is basically an impossible combination. A TIR optic would be a better choice.

I agree, an optic would probably work better than a reflector in this situation.

Or you could just go without a reflector as others have suggested. The CREE LEDs have an amazing flood for working on things at a relatively close distance.