Reassessing my EDC

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been Fenix L2D-CE, the non-Q5 version. For a year, which is a long time for me.

Kind of got tired of it, especially after seeing a P4 modded Princeton Tec HL that just blows it away.

Decided I wanted another Malkoff in addition to the 3D M*g I have, so the current project is a Surefire 9P modded with Malkoff M60 plus 2x18650 body (cannot find LeefBody, so FiveMag apparently is the choice)

Now that's a pretty big unit, I know.

As weather permitting, will edc it but most of the time, want some kind of good 1xAA lite. Probably another Fenix, though need to scan the current threads and see if anything else is viable.

1xAA is easier to EDC than L2D, which is not terribly bad actually. But M60 SF must be a blast.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, this has me worried about anything 1xAA. I think I will stick with 2xAA form factor when unable to edc the SF..

I did however get a CR2 lite, so that's probably what my choice will be, dictated by circumstances.

Just a quick point (if you don't mind TIN), some of the heat is from boosting from
a 1.5v to the needed 3.5-4.0v. Typicial efficiency for the best converters is 70%
since it's quite a high boost from such a low V. That means you're losing 30%
in heat alone. This can't be avoided and is the case for all 1.5V single cell lights.
Also, any internal resistance in the battery turns to heat too - keep in
mind 3x the current is going through the battery compared to the LED.

However the 4.2v Li-ion will be bucking so there is much less losses in heat.
Buck circuits are much more efficient and there is less current going through
the battery :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Could still go with something like the D10, which works quite happily from a 14500 cell, while still giving you the option to run on NiMH or AA primaries.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't forget the JetBeam Jet I Pro, 1xAA with 2-130 lumens infinitely variable brightness output, which blasts out to 225 lumens on a 14500. A four-inch EDC that's brighter than a 6D Mag..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now that I've gotten used to JetBeam's IBS system, I find the Fenix interface to be stilted and awkward. If you're looking for the next step beyond the Fenix design, the Jet is definitely worth a look.