Insane Rationalization # 437 for buying a light...

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some 123A lithiums lying around from my 2C Mag experiment, so I need a single cell 123A light to use them in! :ohgeez:

I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a P2D with the Q5, especially since those are currently discounted at Fenix Store.

Quick, somebody give me a good reason NOT to buy it! I've already got lights lying around that hardly ever get used! :crazy: :laughing:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the backup E1B, i was a bit weary before i ordered it but it has grown on me, i especially like the two way clip.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Don't buy it. You will find that it takes the place of some of your bigger lights, and so handy that you might just carry it every day.

I EDC the p2d with the rebel, and have been very happy with it.

Daniel

serious sam

Newly Enlightened
Because there might be a new super duper P7 light coming out from fenix soon :devil:?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I'll go for talking you out of it. I EDC'd a P2D Q2 for several months. While I liked it I didn't like the fact I couldn't use regular rechargeables in it and still have lower modes. Eventually your primaries will get used up and then you've got a light that does not like high powered Li-ion batteries. I even tried several of the lower voltage rechargeables but they didn't have much capacity and still didn't do 'low' right. Also are you sure it is the Q5 that is discounted? I don't see them - just the regular P2D which is not likely a Q5. I can think of a lot of lights that are better now than the P2D. Mine got replaced by the Novatac which right now are going for bargain basement prices and probably one of the best overall deals going. The Nitecore EX10 would be another good choice that 4sevens sells and it's got a lot more advanced features unless you really want strobe. A Jetbeam Jet II IBS which will blow the P2D out of the water with nearly triple the output can be had right now for only about $52 from Bugoutgearusa. See selfbuilt's reviews on it if you aren't familiar with it. There are so many hot lights to come out in the last 6 months that I think going with the P2D is not the best choice. It's reverse clicky was never my favorite either (although you can now upgrade it to a forward clicky from 4sevens). Didn't these have a bit of a slow PWM also - meaning a flicker when on lower settings? I know I took issue with at least a couple things about the P2D - not to say I didn't like it for what it was but there really are better lights now IMO.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely Not! ... before checking out the rest.

I've never had a P2D, I love the P1D and the P1 from Fenix, but currently the BitZ has captured my attention and pocket.

You can grab a NovaTac 85P from many places still at a great price ($99 or so). Or splurge and go for the 120P, I've never needed the extra lumens for my current usage, but I have one just in case something happens to the 85P (I have a back 85P also) or I change usage.

Just ordered a Ra Twisty 85-Tr, nice light that will be buring up CR123A cells for a long time.

For simple and amazing I have to mention the Surefire E1B/Z68 combo. I think it is overpriced now, but maybe you can find a deal. I don't know what it is but size/function/ergo/estetics come together very well in this light. A very nice package.

The new IBS in the Jetbeams looks very good I'll have to try one soon (not CR123A though).

Of course there was that EX10 that got everyone excited a while back.

So should you get the P2D... well maybe you should if you have looked at the others!

Bottom Line: If you don't have a single CR123A based light you need one! The size and output make them great pocket lights for all occasions.

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
Nitecore EX10 man, it's got everything you need in a tiny little package (way smaller than P2D yet still has tail switch), it can take rechargeable's and it can go way lower than any Fenix with the runtimes to match.....................https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206178 154 hours of really useful low on a lithium primary!

cl0123

Enlightened
You should think redundancy. Get yourself enough P2D or equivalent CR123 lights so that you can rotate all your lights by a 3-, 4-days or weekly schedule.

Or, just scale back and have 1 set each at home and office. :candle:

With Aloha,

Clarence

Quick, somebody give me a good reason NOT to buy it! I've already got lights lying around that hardly ever get used! :crazy: :laughing:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, one reason I'm kinda hung up on the Fenix and not the other brands is because I really like the interface. I've got the L1D (non Q5), and it's been great. It's appealing to me that the P2D has the same interface, so no new methods to keep up with.

And aren't the L1D and P2D heads interchangeable? That has a lot of appeal to me too, if one got a broken lens or something I'd still be able to use either battery tube.