The Circle of Life Indeed

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friends,

Last month I posted the story of how my family lost our beloved English Pointer, Chula, to a sudden and unexpected illness. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/203740 We are devoted dog people in my family and this was a very painful loss for us. I can tell you that the many kind and understanding comments I received from good hearted, dog loving CPFers were a real comfort during this time.

I said in that original post that I firmly believe that dog people should have dogs and visa versa, and this time I did take my own advice. Our plan was to wait till we had our two youngest kids safely back in school (our older daughters being grown and already gone from the nest) before doing any looking for a new dog, but the internet is a seductive thing. My wife cried every day after we lost Chula, and I wasn't in any better shape myself. The only thing that seemed to put a smile on either of our faces was looking at rescue dogs and puppies on Petfinder and similar websites. When we came across a photo of a little 3 month old Pointer female, who had been abandoned and then rescued after walking into a church (!) in San Antonio, we felt the tug. She was now being fostered by the kind people at a shelter outside San Antonio in Boerne, and, obviously sensing two soft touches, they were wonderful about e-mailing us photos, answering questions, and generally making it easy to come have a look.

I took off work and we drove down to Boerne on a Friday, with a whole prepared story about having several dogs to see that day, so as to not feel obliged to make any rash decisions. Our alibi crumbled within 5 minutes of being there with the little pup, whom my wife has named "Mia" (Spanish for "mine"). We brought her home, of course, and are happy that our youngest kids got a chance to know her before leaving for college. My wife is now in full housebreaking, don't chew the furniture, etc., mode, and is smiling again. Mia is Chula's spiritual sister in every way, a happy and gentle little dog who already points at the critters and loves being with the family.

Below are a photo of her when she first got to the shelter, and one taken soon after we got her home. As you can see, she is already stretching out, and I think she is going to be a beautiful dog and a beautiful Pointer. She is already a beloved addition to our family. We will never forget our beautiful Chula, but we believe Mia will carry on her tradition in a noble fashion.

Thank you to all my dog loving friends here who have helped us through this time. I wanted to post the follow up, and happier, chapter here as well.

Andrew

MiaA.jpg

P1010270.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my! She is a very cute dog. I know she is going to comfort and take care of both of you very well. Nice choice!

I have two dogs that my Wife and I rescued. One was from a looser family down the road. I made sure that they knew once I took the dog to the vet to get all the shots and medicine that he was mine!

The other dog was recued from a park by my Wife. We put out flyers for a couple of weeks and no one claimed him, so now he too is ours. I think we are done for now.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Nitroz. Thanks for your comments. How good of your wife and you to have rescued your two dogs. I know they are grateful for their loving home. :thumbsup:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww, Mia looks like such a sweetheart! Give her a hug for me, please. AFAustin, good to see that Chula (and Belle) will now live on in a new generation. Thanks for posting the update and photos.

Petfinder, etc. I know what you mean about putting a smile on your face. I just love looking at the dogs posted there. The only problem is that I want to bring all of them home.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coop and flashfan,

Thanks for your posts, and for following my story. One of the things I most enjoy about CPF is that there are so many "dogaholics" here, and you rank right at the top.

I appreciate and share your sentiments. Thanks, guys.

Andrew

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, fnmag, and good to hear from you. Yes, she has lit up our home (I guess flashlight metaphors are appropriate here :D), although it's been quite a while since we've had a puppy, and we had forgotten how much "supervision" they need! But, we're all making progress together and she is truly a welcome addition to our family.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Give her an ear scratch for me, and a little play time. I love dogs, but don't have one. I go vist some friends all the time, and for ME, I often spend more time playing with their dogs than visiting them...

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I am generally a cat person, I am glad that you've been able to get another dog. She's a cutie...how big will she get?

And kudos for opting to rescue an unwanted puppy :thumbsup:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Great to hear the follow-up, Andrew.

Thanks for posting, and have fun with the new dog. She's a cutie!

:grin2:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

Thanks for your post and well wishes. And thanks especially for your kind words of consolation when I lost Chula. You have a good heart, my friend.

Andrew

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Karl, thanks for your post. I also remember with gratitude your sympathy when I lost Chula. Thank you for that.

Mia is a great pup. We had a good hike earlier this evening, and saw a proud young buck silhouetted against the sunset sky---beautiful. I thought he was alone, but then his harem and half grown fawns appeared out of the woods. Mia caught sight of them and gave chase but fortunately (for her!) turned back before she got too close. Chula had to learn that sometimes deer get tired of being chased by a dog and stop---and then often end up doing the chasing! Mia will likely learn this for herself soon enough.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I just keep wanting to rub noses with her, blow a bit in her face (yes, I know that drives most dogs nuts), scratch her behing the ears, and try to find the tickle-y spot - you know the spot that makes the leg go for scratching - every dog has one

edit:
Her pictures have me grinning like an idiot. I really gotta get a dog