Good source for graph paper?

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a new habit. No it's not really new, I'm just really getting sick of having a hard time supplying it.

Awhile back I started using pocket squared Moleskine notebooks. I *love* them, and decided to try and start using grid paper for all my writing. I *LOVE* that too...well sort of.

The graph paper I found at first was always super cheap, and the grids were bigger than in my Moleskine. I eventually discovered that most graph paper (In the US anyway) has .25" squares, or 4 squares per inch. I prefer .20" squares, or 5 squares per inch. That doesn't sound like much, but think of the difference between wide and college ruled paper.

Ok this brings me to problem number 2 - I have 2 sources for 5 square/inch paper. Mead makes a notebook that is nice. It's got nice, high quality paper...but the only problem is the paper is 4-square on one side of the page, and 5-square on the other, so I only enjoy using that paper about half the time.

I found some other pads, at Staples I think. The good news is it's 5-square on both sides, and I think it's even 20lb paper (Most quad paper is 16lb for some reason)...but it's gummed at the top.

This brings me to problem 3 -- I'd prefer paper that is just looseleaf. That way I can have it in a folder in my backpack, to keep it clean and keep the corners crisp and such, and I can conveniently reach in and draw out a single sheet at a time, as needed.

I realize I can print my own, but that's seems like a very expensive solution really.

So does anybody know where I can get some good grid paper?

The requirements are:
• At LEAST 20lb stock
• 5 squares per inch
• 8.5 x 11" or slightly smaller.
• Grid needs to be fairly light, I like the contract between pen and grid lines.
• Looseleaf

Optional
• Grids to the edge of the page, please.

Surely somebody else in the world wants this kind of paper!

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Well, printing your own might seem expensive, but compared to the search for decent graph paper, especially loose-leaf, it might save you enough time to be worth it. It's what I do.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ has a number of template generators that should let you experiment with whatever spacing you want. Personally, I like 2 or 3mm squares, and often use the "light vertical" paper to give a stronger horizontal rule. I tend to print my paper at work, on our multifunction copier, so the lines are waterproof. I bought some decent paper for my own use, HP 28# Color Laser, which feels much more durable than the typical 20# office paper, and handles 3-hole punching better, too. 500 sheets should be $12 or $13. You could also try some store-brand papers, but I'd recommend the inkjet papers if you'll be printing with one. The laser papers can be slow to absorb inkjet ink, which gets messy.

Lately I've been playing around with the Circa/Rollabind system, which uses a special punch and binding rings to stay together. It makes it very easy to carry multiple types of paper around neatly, remove a single sheet or more at a time, and rearrange papers at will. A Google search should tell you all you want to know. The punch is expensive, around $60 new, but it's an investment piece that should last decades.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well, printing your own might seem expensive, but compared to the search for decent graph paper, especially loose-leaf, it might save you enough time to be worth it. It's what I do.

I'm just thinking...toner is what, like ¢3 per side of page? So that's like ¢6 per sheet for toner. Add in another ¢001 for other printer supplies (Like the fuser) If I use 24lb paper it's about $8 a ream, or ¢016/page.

So we're looking at, per page...
¢6
¢001
¢016
----------
¢617 cents per page.

That Ampad, which I think is what I currently am using, is about ¢764 per page, so I guess it's indeed cheaper to print my own.

Now I just need a laser printer :-D or a trip home to mom and dads...

(I want to get a small B&W laser printer, just waiting for one to go on a good sale with Duplex)

Print a ream of it up and it should last me quite some time.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Engineer's Computation Paper. It's a light green tint with 5x5 per inch squares. It comes in pad form with a gum top, or in loose leaf. Back side is printed with darker lines than the front, gives a nice choice. Most that I've seen comes in 16lb, however, I think you could find it in 20lb and even in white.

Last edited:

Saaby

Flashaholic
Thanks Lux, post made.

Yeah the Engineering pad seems fun, but I feel cramped since it has such wide margins, and I don't like that the grids on the back are so dark.

I am so OCD about writing instruments it's not even funny. I couldn't get very far into fountain pens, because I would only use them on one or two surfaces that they are perfect for.

Seriously, just on my desk right now I have a red .7 pen, a black .5 pen, 2 drafting pencils (.5 and .3) -- and that's just what hasn't been put back into 1 of the 2 jumbo wire-mesh pencil cups that occupy my desk.

I also have a duplicate set of mechanical pencils for my book-bag (A .9 for thick lines, .5 for general use, .3 for tight spaces, and red for shading)...I need the right tool for the right job no matter where I am!