Pila quandary

Reno

Enlightened
I'm pondering the purchase of a Pila torch, but have a few reservations...

Has anyone posted beamshots comparing the Pila/Wolf Eyes lights to the equivalent Surefire product? I like the idea of a pocketable torch that can-

A) blast 80 lumens for a while

B) run forever on four leds

C) Recharge!!

Things I'd particularly like to see would be the addition of a 5-watt luxeon SE in place of the incan, and full regulation, but you can't have everything (yet).

To those of you who own the pocket-size Pila, how does the led tailcap rate brightness-wise against existing led lights? Are the color leds significantly brighter?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
PILA/Wolf Eyes, same product different brand name only
Light quality is comparable to Surefire. I have 3 of the lights and one of the Surefire conversion kits. I have one lamp that has a very very faint dark spot from the filament, only noticable indoors at close range. I have been pleased with my GL2R and GL3R as well as the M90

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I don't have beamshots, but my Pila G3R's beam is not quite as smooth as my SF M2. It's not quite as round either. However, even though it's just slightly bigger than my M2, I find myself using it more, just because using it is free.

Good lights for the money, although the shipping charges are a little high. Received mine here in NY 2 days after I ordered. Jennifer at Pila was prompt and emailed me an invoice and my tracking # as soon as the order went out.

jimbob

Newly Enlightened
Hey Madecov,

I'm thinking about buying from Pila as well. How is the G3R compared to the M90? I'm thinking of the G3R because I don't need the LED tailcap and prefer a smaller light, but aside from the size and runtime, how does brightness/throw/beam quality compare between the 2?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M90 is about the size of the SF M3 or 4
The GL3R/G3R are a nice personal size but probably too large for personal EDC on an everday basis. I find the GL3R too small for duty use at night. If I was a day shift Officer it would be perfect. The quality of light is very very close to a SF interms of focus. All of the lights have very large surrounds and soft hot spots. It took a little getting used to compared to my Sf G2/G2Z/8NX but it lights up an entire building side at night with enough light to make out virtually any Turd who might be trying to hide in the bushes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif. I get to patrol some area with very large parking lots and the G3 and G4 can light up almost a whole parking lot. I can use it close to 60 yds away and see enough to work with.
If you can live without the extended run time and want a smaller light the 3 is great. It is almost equal in light to the GL4R.

In all honesty I would still get the LED tail cap and order the clickie as a seperate. There are times the LED's do come in handy.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse

here's a review I did on 2 of the PILA lights

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=211287&Forum=UBB1&Words=pila&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=211287&Search=true#Post211287

madecov

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to do that,I'm HTML challenged LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif