WE Sniper 6A P7

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

About a year ago I bought my first Sniper (190 lumens) after reading great reviews and recommendations on this site. A few months later they came out with the Q5 version @ 260 lumens and I jumped on that one. I am a Deputy Sheriff and carry the light on my duty belt mostly for a backup and for building searches. I am thinking of getting the new Sniper 6A P7 that just came out. It seems to be a nice light with a high lumen rating. Problem is thier dosen't seem to be many reviews on this forum about that light using the search.

Can anyone give me a direct comparison between the Q5 Sniper and the P7? If anyone has a side by side shot of the two for size purposes that would be more than great! Would you suggest any other light which has a good combo of throw and flood? It must be near the same size as the sniper in girth and be rechargeable.

Also, I have a Dept. issued Streamlight Ultra Stinger that I use most of the time, usually on traffic stops and calls since I can put it under my armpit to hold it. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a different light that is large enough to go under my pit? I am a fan of rechargeable batteries as the 123's are on my dime.

Thanks for all your help (again)

Jordan

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200801

I too have been wanting more info on this light. For $200 (including batt and charger) I would have thought there would be more intrest on the forum. I suspect it might be that most members are interested in lights that have more throw where the P7 is more blended beam. Anyway, above is a link to a review...you probably have already seen it.

Have you checked out the new 3 x R2 Wolf Eyes Storm? That should be a throwy beam...with nice spill as well. A little fat thou.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1-139-99

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-142-143-6510

Last edited:

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response!

I have read that review (basically the only one I found) and it is great. I am just looking for more opinions and reviews than 1. I too agree for $200 I expected someone to rant/rave/complain about the light. It seems like a nice in-between light to me.

As far as the Storm goes, that is one fat flashlight.

OceanView

Enlightened
I suspect it might be that most members are interested in lights that have more throw where the P7 is more blended beam.
I'm a big WE fan but matching up the P7 to the Sniper never seemed like that great a match to me. The P7 is very power hungry and 1x18650 or 2xCR123 aren't going to power the P7 long at all. I'm not sure if it is the power consumption issue or the heat generation issue, but these 1x18650 lights generally don't drive the P7 at full power anyway.

A part of me thinks that CPFers like to see cutting edge tech driven to their potential. Running a P7 at 2.2A, like the Sniper P7, is sort of a yawner, especially for $200. The R2 Storm seems more interesting to me, primarily because it is trying to make the most of its three R2 emitters.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6573

I would be more interested in the newer M90 Rattlesnake that takes 2 18650 batteries and they claim 660 lumens. It probably is brighter and should have more run time. I am hoping they would be using a primium buck driver. I would guess current at the battery would be in the 1.2 to 1.4 amp range for the current to the LED to be in the 2.4 to 2.8 amp range and run it near full power (I think its still not at full power though).

I would love to see some reviews of this model, that it works as specified, because this is the first and only P7 light that I am seriously considering, regardless of the price. I want one that is very reliable, rugged, constant output, no stupid programmable interface to muck it up.

I would guess as a LEO that you would want something with more run time and a more constant output over that time if this was your main light. You said the sniper was your back up, what is your primary light?

In the meantime I have not seen any reviews on this, have I missed it (M90 Rattlesnake P7 that is).

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been following the P7's and they are impressive. I tried to purchase the WE Sniper, but PTS didn't return my emails, phonecalls, etc. I did purchase the similar MTE 5 mode P7 from DX. Even though the P7 is not run to full spec, these lights really perform. With about an hour of full output runtime on an 18650, and a lot more at the still very bright medium level, I think these lights are very useful. They might not be driving the P7 to the edge, but they are operating it in a more efficient current range for both the LED and the batteries. The MTE P7 puts out a lot more light than any other LED light I have excepting the Ostar 15 watt six emitter LED. That, in a 1.5D Mag is really a beauty, with 5 levels. Comparing the MTE P7 to a Tiablo A9s, the hotspot of the Tiablo is brighter (more throw) but tiny, almost laserlike compared to the P7. The MTE P7's hotspot is large and bright, and the spill is very bright and the gradient is nice. It almost makes my Malkoff P60L appear to be turned off, and the light is not much larger than the SF 6P. Quite impressive. I expect the WE Sniper to be even better than the MTE.

I think one problem is that we have only seen an initial limited run of P7's from WE, and real production quantities have not been seen. The price is high enough with the kit that folks may prefer to get the light without the charger/battery and those seem to be out of stock. If PTS doesn't return emails and phonecalls perhaps they are having trouble getting inventory.

-- Alan

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
My main light is a Ultrastinger. This light is department issued and is most used because I can tuck it under my arm when I am using it. I wouldn't mind finding a better rechargeable light for my primary but it has to be rechargeable and it has to be the same size or form factor as a ultrastinger or a 3-4d maglite.

The main attraction for me to the sniper P7 is that is just the sniper with a larger head. I really don't want to get a light that takes 2 li-ions or is fatter than the sniper because it will be uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

OceanView

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind finding a better rechargeable light for my primary but it has to be rechargeable and it has to be the same size or form factor as a ultrastinger or a 3-4d maglite.
This gets away from the Sniper, but Pelican's 8060 LED is just coming out now. It's the first duty-sized (will take normal 4C batteries), rechargeable (comes with rechargeable NiMH battery pack) LED. Polymer body. Basically, I guess it's a longer, longer-running version of Pelican's "LAPD" 7060 LED light. There's one thread on it here in the LED forum.

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
I own the sniper p7, and i think that it is a wonderful light. I am also suprised that there is less talk about it. It is shockingly bright, and the beam is perfect, free of any artifacts or rings and whatnot. To me, it resembles the surefire l5 beam, as it has a huge spot, huge spill, all very very bright. I am very glad that I bought this light, as it is very bright, rechargeable, relatively small, and not too expensive. The quality is what you would expect from wolf eyes, very good

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Whitedoom,

You don't happen to own a sniper as well do you? If so, could you post a picture side by side for size comparison?

Oceanview,

I will check into the new pelican as a replacement for my primary.

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I do not. Although I have compared it to some of my friend's lights. The Sniper P7 is easliy putting out twice as much light as his Tiablo A8 on an 18650, which I believe has a claimed 210 lumens. Medium mode (30%) appears to be slightly brighter than a Nitecore D10 GD+ on an eneloop, similar to a L0D P4 on an 10440. I dont know how much this tells you, but those are my observations.

B'hamFAL

Newly Enlightened
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6573

I would be more interested in the newer M90 Rattlesnake that takes 2 18650 batteries and they claim 660 lumens.

I was looking at one of the 6a p7's but then saw the m90 retrofit head. I've got one coming for my m90-13v. I'm not sure yet if I'll have to ditch the extension(s) and just run 2x18650 or if I'll be able to run 3x18650. I'll let ya know how I like it when it comes. FWIW the light is used on my patrol rifle, not carried on my belt. The 6a-p7 will just have to wait a bit longer and my cree equipped, duty belt carried, 2x17500 powered 9p last a bit more.

Ultra stinger!!!!......Sir my dept made us sign for a 2d powered mag lite, y'all got it made!

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at one of the 6a p7's but then saw the m90 retrofit head. I've got one coming for my m90-13v. I'm not sure yet if I'll have to ditch the extension(s) and just run 2x18650 or if I'll be able to run 3x18650. I'll let ya know how I like it when it comes. FWIW the light is used on my patrol rifle, not carried on my belt. The 6a-p7 will just have to wait a bit longer and my cree equipped, duty belt carried, 2x17500 powered 9p last a bit more.

Ultra stinger!!!!......Sir my dept made us sign for a 2d powered mag lite, y'all got it made!

Sorry to hear about the Mag lite! I do like the ultra-stinger, I am just looking for something better! I am an LED man at heart I guess!

Glen C

Enlightened
N9zez, here is a size comparison shot, so you can compare it to what you already have. Click for larger

Also there are a couple of pics of the P7 Sniper here on the site
http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sniper-p7-p-97.html

my.php

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Oh guys, I am also surprised there is not too much info (except nice review of P7 SNIPER from Wattnot - thanks Wattnot) about P7 Sniper. I was thinking about my new flashlight. Ok, I have my Romi-RC-G2 - I gived it to my friend for weekend-house use. I bought Fenix LOD R80, I gived it to by brother for keychain use. I carry Fenix L2DQ5, its my good friend. But, I want upgrade. I was looking for flashlight around L2D size, but much brighter, with no drastic throw (tight), but with useful flood. And - very good quality plus sure-waterproof. And result for me is Wolfeyes-P7 SNIPER. If somebody have info with beamshots :anyone:compared to anything, I will be very grateful. :help: Have a nice day all.

...and - have somebody some info, which store is best for shipping to US for P7 SNIPER? Have anybody some experience with buying SNIPER P7? Thanks a lot. :wave:

Last edited:

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
So I decided already. I bougth P7 Rattlesnake for me and P7 Sniper for my friend. P7 sniper is very floody, P7 Rattlesnake have a little more lumens (640), and better throw with good flood. Beamshots of those I will make around end of october, because on that time I will hold them in my hands (oh, so late for me :scowl: - thay are waiting me in Atlanta in postbox of my friend). Btw, I bought them on liotec.com and I can strongly recommend this shop. Very good service, anwears any question quickly. Rebate. Very fast shipping. :thumbsup:

So when I will got them, I will post info with beamshots, not review, but something like that. Have a great day all!

Last edited:

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
I have been following the P7's and they are impressive. I tried to purchase the WE Sniper, but PTS didn't return my emails, phonecalls, etc. I did purchase the similar MTE 5 mode P7 from DX. Even though the P7 is not run to full spec, these lights really perform. With about an hour of full output runtime on an 18650, and a lot more at the still very bright medium level, I think these lights are very useful. They might not be driving the P7 to the edge, but they are operating it in a more efficient current range for both the LED and the batteries. The MTE P7 puts out a lot more light than any other LED light I have excepting the Ostar 15 watt six emitter LED. That, in a 1.5D Mag is really a beauty, with 5 levels. Comparing the MTE P7 to a Tiablo A9s, the hotspot of the Tiablo is brighter (more throw) but tiny, almost laserlike compared to the P7. The MTE P7's hotspot is large and bright, and the spill is very bright and the gradient is nice. It almost makes my Malkoff P60L appear to be turned off, and the light is not much larger than the SF 6P. Quite impressive. I expect the WE Sniper to be even better than the MTE.

I think one problem is that we have only seen an initial limited run of P7's from WE, and real production quantities have not been seen. The price is high enough with the kit that folks may prefer to get the light without the charger/battery and those seem to be out of stock. If PTS doesn't return emails and phonecalls perhaps they are having trouble getting inventory.

-- Alan
=========================

Hi there Alan,

i'm a newbie in all of this...but i have bought a NiteCore D10GDP, a Zebralight H50Q5, a Covert Photon Freedom Micro, and ordered an HDS Clicky.

i'm also very interested in the 6A P7 Wolf Eyes Sniper.

i didn't know the PTS-Flashlights.com company/site at all before today, but i contacted them and had 2 excellent conversations. i do not know if there was a blip in the emailing system or what - i have nothing to do with them (other than reading on their site for the last few days) - but i can say that my conversation today with Mike is very good. Mike was patient in educating me, explaining points, pros and cons, and was not at all pushing at all. he tried to explain which light might work well in certain circumstances, and other models, better in other situations.

i would encourage you to try again to contact him. i have rarely had such a good interaction with a merchant. again, i have nothing to do with them other than reading their site for the last few days and calling them today for the very first time.

best of luck and enjoy!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
=========================

Hi there Alan,

i'm a newbie in all of this...but i have bought a NiteCore D10GDP, a Zebralight H50Q5, a Covert Photon Freedom Micro, and ordered an HDS Clicky.

i'm also very interested in the 6A P7 Wolf Eyes Sniper.

i didn't know the PTS-Flashlights.com company/site at all before today, but i contacted them and had 2 excellent conversations. i do not know if there was a blip in the emailing system or what - i have nothing to do with them (other than reading on their site for the last few days) - but i can say that my conversation today with Mike is very good. Mike was patient in educating me, explaining points, pros and cons, and was not at all pushing at all. he tried to explain which light might work well in certain circumstances, and other models, better in other situations.

i would encourage you to try again to contact him. i have rarely had such a good interaction with a merchant. again, i have nothing to do with them other than reading their site for the last few days and calling them today for the very first time.

best of luck and enjoy!

Sounds like a great start.

I'm not in the market for a WE P7 right now as I'm working on other things. I might try PTS again in the future (I have heard they have great support), but understand that I made 3 phonecalls over several days, sent 2 or more emails and left 2 CPF PM's. Nada in response. Not sure why. I did get excellent responses from Liotec.com, however.

The WE P7 lights appear to be excellent, but carrying them around is problematic due to the large head diameters. I've got a similar problem with the MTE. A P7 with a smaller head diameter is more usful for me, one with an available holster. SF 6P size is about right, or a little larger. Head diameter is not really required for throw, as this is a floody light. Heat dissipation is the other issue, but most of these compact P7's don't run the LED so hard which results both in higher lumen efficiency and less heat as well as longer runtime. The difference between 500 lumens and 700 lumens is not significant for most applications. Good thermal conductivity into the body should handle the heat at that level adequately, especially if there are levels available which I prefer for both heat control and runtime.

So I keep watching... :popcorn:

Thanks for the review info!

-- Alan

n9zez

Newly Enlightened
Glen,

Thanks for the picture comparison!

I also look forward to the beam shots as promised!

mickielli15

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Sorry, I have no time to do anything, and have no idea, when it will change :(
I only took several pictures, comparsion between Fenix L2D-Q5, WE Sniper P7 and WE Rattlesnake M90- P7. Sorry for terrible photo quality, I am in hurry and around hotels ( I am on tour) is impossible to find any dark good place. On tour I will finding and if I will find some better place and I will have no-stress-time-press while ;), I will make some better quality beamshots. For this momnent, I have only following, I hope by week I will find some better places, and I will write about these falshlights more. Sorry. Here you are: (all shots on highest setting of each flashlight, with fresh-charged batteries)

2mwcs45.jpg

2i6coja.jpg

29y2k94.jpg

10shflf.jpg

2wrjm6o.jpg

qy75ac.jpg

350jepj.jpg

b6sd39.jpg

2vjet1i.jpg

2cqjn1x.jpg

ta6m0w.jpg

335fns2.jpg