Fenix L2D, new and interesting failure

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tMjvgYRflU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIovPVuBHYc

Fenix L2D-CE (P4 version)

I've had it for a year, running it entirely on Maha NiMH cells.

Just today it developed this new and interesting failure on Turbo mode. Tried a few different and freshly charged cells, including even alkalines to no avail.

Basically it will not turn on at all half the time, but if it does, in Turbo, immediately dims, then starts flickering then event that goes away.

Cleaned the threads on both ends, the tail cap seem to be tight inside.

Any idea what's going on?

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi etc,

Just an idea. Today I just cleaned the tail switch on many of my Fenix flashlights as preventative maintenance.

Basically an aluminum ring tightens down and presses down on a switch board. In most cases, there was significant soldering flux residue on the board, and the aluminum ring was loose.

Isopropyl alcohol cleans this up nicely. I applied DeOxit Gold to the surfaces on assembly.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
Try removing the tailcap and making the connection from the end of the cell to the end of the tube with a wire or something conductive.

Edit: EngrPaul beat me to it.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a copper penny (pre-1981) and shorted the end of the NiMH cell and the end of the tube. It basically did the same thing. Wild, random flickering.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
:tinfoil: I suspect it's in the circuitry. Probably time to test your warranty.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi etc,

Just an idea. Today I just cleaned the tail switch on many of my Fenix flashlights as preventative maintenance.

Basically an aluminum ring tightens down and presses down on a switch board. In most cases, there was significant soldering flux residue on the board, and the aluminum ring was loose.

Isopropyl alcohol cleans this up nicely. I applied DeOxit Gold to the surfaces on assembly.

I will try taking apart the tail cap as soon as I find tweezers or something suitable.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
when you change batteries do you do it by the tail or head?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a copper penny (pre-1981) and shorted the end of the NiMH cell and the end of the tube. It basically did the same thing. Wild, random flickering.

Then it is probably broken driver.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the circuit board where the end of the tube comes in contact with it, and the tube end. That's what activates turbo mode.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cleaned every surface that's exposed, to no avail. It behaves even more erratically than before. I think it's the driver internals failure.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I feel your pain, etc.

Please let us know how your warranty replacement goes.

And, of course, this oughta' be a gentle reminder to ALL of us . . . .

Always Carry a Spare Flashlight.

Good Luck.

_

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, and boy is that the truth.

Take the number of lites you have with you, subtract 1 and that's how many you really have.

Believe it or not, I will try to EDC a 1xCR2 lite from now, augmented by SureFire 9P moded with Malkoff (circumstances permitting)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Cleaned the threads on both ends, the tail cap seem to be tight inside.

Any idea what's going on?

Sounds like lack of user maintenance. More than the threads need cleaned. The PCB needs cleaned on the outer ring, any oxides removed, and the END of the body, not just the threads needs thoroughly cleaned.