Lithium batt. & heat question

Morepower!

Enlightened
I have to have a Lithium battery in close quarters to a ballast(see pic below) in one of my mods. I had to use a lighter duty heatsink to make it fit and @ 1hr it reaches a temp. of 67C. Is this going to be a problem for the battery ? The battery is not directly touching the ballast and I need that gap between them for the connectors and wiring so insulation is not really an option. I just don't know how much heat they can handle.

Thanks

DSCF7394.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That battery would much appreciate a piece of thermal foil blanket or aluminum foil between it and the hot ballast.

Morepower!

Enlightened
That battery would much appreciate a piece of thermal foil blanket or aluminum foil between it and the hot ballast.

Hey thanks for your post, you just reminded me that I have a roll of that 2" wide thin aluminium adhesive tape somewhere, the problem of course will be finding it. Maybe if I apply some of that to the side of the battery facing the ballast ? Maybe even a few layers, you think this would be sufficient in your experience ? I really don't want to put a runtime limit on this light if at all possible.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that a silver emergency blanket would be better. If the aluminum is attaached to something on one side, then it will transfer heat better than if it has air on both sides. Also, the plastic material of the emergency blanket will not transfer as much heat through it as aluminum tape.

That aluminum tape would probably be ok applied over a piece of paper or plastic, but don't forget that the emergency blanket is designed specifically to reflect heat.