Going to get a SureFire, tired of junk lites

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
<vent mode>
I am fed up with junk products I have been getting ... All the incarnations of Chinese made lites. Yet another failure today. Fenix. Okay, I EDCed it for a year and used every day. Never abused it, only put the best NiMH I could find. The driver itself failed and it does erratic things in some kind of a morse code configuration. Just p1sses me off. Cannot imagine what would have happened if I actually needed it in a 'situation'.

These Chinese made lites aren't all that cheap, go for between 60-100 and a poor value at that. I am certainly not going to rely on it ever again.

<vent off>

Ebay and Surefire, here I come.

Holy sh1t, cannot believe the array of choices. Do they need that many? I cannot figure out what the difference between models is.
Thus far I am inclined to get SF 9P. Two of them actually, and convert both with Malkoff modules, one into M30/ and AA configuration and the other into M60 and 2x18650 configuration.
I just need to find a recessed tail. I am sure there is a thread on it somewhere. Something that won't turn on in my pocket (I EDC tailcap down)

Last edited:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
If you want 2x18650 you're going to need a different tube from the standard 9P body. The 9P body isn't long enough to hold xx650 cells, but rather it will hold xx500 cells. The body as shipped will hold 2x17500 cells.

If you do want 2x18500 support without boring out your body, Leef makes a nice body.

Welcome to the lovely world of Surefire legos.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me pose this question to you, what are the pros and cons of 2x18500 vs. 2x18650?

I understand that the latter is longer but both are "non-standard", if you get a non-standard cell, might as well go for the higher capacity one. I do realize that 18500 will maintain the same OAL of the original 9P body, but why do I need that?

As far as I understand, with 2x18500, I won't be able to use any other cell. But I can always put the original body back and use primaries or 2x17500.

LightHound appears to be out of 18650 bodies, unless I get a 3x18650, which does seem real interesting but will blow up the M60 Malkoff module... Bummer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Let me pose this question to you, what are the pros and cons of 2x18500 vs. 2x18650?

Barrel-length is the most visible difference. An 18500 cell is as long as 1 1/2 CR123 cell. An 18650 is 2xCR123 cells.

2x18500 barrel will be as long as the barrel on a Surefire 9P.
2x18650 barrel = As long as the barrel on a Surefire M4.

The 2x18500 barrel is a bit easier to EDC.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay.. I do understand that 18500 is 1.5x 123 and that 18650 is 2x 123...

Reduced size means reduced capacity... I will decide what I want to do once I get the 9P. Length-wise, it seems similar to the Mini-M*g, meaning not very big at all.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I understand that the latter is longer but both are "non-standard", if you get a non-standard cell, might as well go for the higher capacity one. I do realize that 18500 will maintain the same OAL of the original 9P body, but why do I need that?

As far as I understand, with 2x18500, I won't be able to use any other cell. But I can always put the original body back and use primaries or 2x17500.

LightHound appears to be out of 18650 bodies, unless I get a 3x18650, which does seem real interesting but will blow up the M60 Malkoff module... Bummer.

The obvious difference is the overall length increase, but that may be irrelevant to you. I think the 18650 is somewhat more available than the 18500, in that there are more brand-names to pick from across the www.

You should be aware that even Surefires can fail... take their clicky switch history for example. Its their warranty and replacement part support that sets them apart from the crowd, IMHO.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barrel-length is the most visible difference. An 18500 cell is as long as 1 1/2 CR123 cell. An 18650 is 4xCR123 cells.

2x18500 barrel will be as long as the barrel on a Surefire 9P.
2x18650 barrel = As long as the barrel on a Surefire M4.

The 2x18500 barrel is a bit easier to EDC.

18650 = 2xCR123s

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need to read through this thread first, before you put your money down. This will be one of your flashlight bibles.

Read it multiple times, bookmarked it, but still "don't get" about half of it. For one, it seems to be incan-oriented, which is irrelevant to me. I think I will have to print it. It does have a boatload of useful info.

The question I have right now is give me all the SF lites that will work with Malkoff M30 module, and all the possible cell configurations. I understand it's max is something like 5V (I think he upped it lately) and I also know the few models he states on his malkoffdevices site but it's confusing.

My original plan (there is a thread floating around somewhere) was to convert P9 to 2xAA use with M30, now I've revised the plan to maintain AA at all and will move to the brave new world of Li-Ions like 18650s.
It's not clear to me that advantage 18xxx cells have over 17xxx cells and vice versa, other than the obvious capacity issues.

Right now though, the current project is SF P9/M60/2x18650 body from FiveMega. I also understand that the M30 module will work on one 18650 cell so that the question is, what SF model will fit it nicely without any space left. Actually I understand that none of stock SF will fit 18mm cells but perhaps 1x17500?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the picture, it's very helpful. That's exactly what I am looking for. 9P is bigger than I thought. They make it look so small on the SF web site, how it fits neatly in the palm of your hand.

I would love to see SF 9P with the 2x18650 body. Any chance of posting that pic, with some basic 2xAA lite?

Last edited:

cl0123

Enlightened
The top light from FM's thread, sitting right above an SF 9P. Hope it helps.

With Aloha,

Clarence
100_1421.jpg

Thank you for the picture, it's very helpful. That's exactly what I am looking for. 9P is bigger than I thought. They make it look so small on the SF web site, how it fits neatly in the palm of your hand.

I would love to see SF 9P with the 2x18650 body. Any chance of posting that pic, with some basic 2xAA lite?

cl0123

Enlightened
It's not clear to me that advantage 18xxx cells have over 17xxx cells and vice versa, other than the obvious capacity issues.

Right now though, the current project is SF P9/M60/2x18650 body from FiveMega. I also understand that the M30 module will work on one 18650 cell so that the question is, what SF model will fit it nicely without any space left. Actually I understand that none of stock SF will fit 18mm cells but perhaps 1x17500?

Thanks for asking the questions and hope you will get your answers soon... for I am reading and learning from them too.

Here's an idea, take a look at one option of an 1-cell 18650 body. Using whichever C or P heads & tails that you have, I think it should work with an M30 lamp. Not sure if there would be any gaps left but I assume you can probably fit another tail spring or even a spacer to take up the empty space? All speculations, take them with a big pinch or salt please.

Unfortunately, if you require you lights to be color-coordinated, you need to keep googling for other options.

Isn't this lego-bility part of this hobby great?

With Aloha,

Clarence

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a more detailed shot of FiveMega's 2x18650 body?
I understand it has a more "aggressive" knurling pattern, but just how much more?

I've never EDC or even picked up a 9P before, so the reference, while useful, is not entirely meaningful. Maybe next to an 2xAA lite...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
T
Here's an idea, take a look at one option of an 1-cell 18650 body.

That looks cool and might be the ultimate EDC.
I wonder how much runtime it will generate. A single cell like 18650 has around 2200 mAh if I not mistaken, and M30 draws just over 1 Amp I think, so can I assume you can get 2 hours out of such a beast?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You say you want surefire reliability, yet you are replacing the lamp with an aftermarket lamp assy, the body with an aftermarket body, and the battery with aftermarket cells.

All you are using is the head and tailcap.

Hard to know how you expect to get 'Surefire reliability' from that, although no doubt it will run extremely well for you, it's just not really a surefire anymore.

The tail 9P cap doesn't need to be recessed, as you untwist it to lock it out.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know - you have a point. There is little SF left in it.

Of course keep in mind, I can still use the original body for 2x17500. So then the only thing that gets replaced is the LED module.

I don't see it as a problem at all. I haven't see any reliability problems with Malkoff modules. Mine on M*g 3D works really well. So if anything, I replace a mass produced lite with a custom made module, made by hand (Until now, anyway)
It's almost a custom made lite, almost one of a kind. Certainly one of a kind outside of CPF circles.