Suggestions on long run-time light.

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Ideally I want a 1 or 2 CR123 light that has an extremely long run time.

Of course I considerd the Inova X5, the brightness is fine but I'm looking for even longer runtimes, possibly even in a Glo-toob type device.

I have a feeling I will need to build it custom, but maybe yous know of something I missed.

If I go custom I'll probably go 4-6 CR123 and 5mm leds or perhaps an under-driven Cree, Any suggestions on that would be great too.

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Marduke, as always your right on track.

I pre-ordered the PD30 earlier tonight and that probably solves my problems but of course I can never have too many lights

MoreLumens4Me

Newly Enlightened
The new Olight M20 Warrior Premium gives you (manufacturers claim I don't know yet for sure) 7 lumens for 150 hours!

roymail

Enlightened
Runtime is usually dependant on how much brightness is required... it's pretty much a given.

That's a major advantage for having a multi-level light. :grin2:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Runtime is usually dependant on how much brightness is required... it's pretty much a given.

That's a major advantage for having a multi-level light. :grin2:

Love Multi-level lights.

I do love my P3DQ5 it is everything I need wrapped in a nice EDC package I am excited about the PD30

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
From what ive read the X5 is more of a battery drainer than a long running light, also iirc, it requires less juice to start than many other lights, so cells that no longer start most flashlights might work on a X5.

however, this is usually confused with long runtimes, is this information correct?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I was also going to suggest the P3D/PD30.

The Nitecore EX10 and Extreme can both go to a pretty low mode and give long runtimes. They are smaller then the P3D because they run on 1 CR123 instead of 2.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I rely on a M60LL and 2 18650's for the super long runtime challenge.

I am trying to work with Milky on a 6D cell light that will do 100Lu for HOURS and HOURS. Like I said "trying" to. He's too overworked.

How many lumens are you OK with? That will help us find you just the right thing!

Last edited:

kromeke

Enlightened
Novatac P series with custom programming to reduce the levels.

Should run for days on the lowest level. Can be made brighter if need be.

BMF

Enlightened
The new Olight M20 Warrior Premium gives you (manufacturers claim I don't know yet for sure) 7 lumens for 150 hours!

+1 if it's true. It's still new so no one can prove by testing it yet, hope the will be a result soon on low level running time.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You know, I have never tested it!
Somebody can give a real close guess though by doing some math. For that we need the current draw of a M60LL and someone with brains....
:thinking:

paulr

Flashaholic
What is the application? Maybe you really want a Betalight or Luce de Notte.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say for runtime get an 18650 powered light. They have more capacity and are just about the vf of the led so the lights don't waste power in the regulation too much.

GPB

Enlightened
I have found the Nite Ize replacement led/bulb for the 2-6 cell Maglite to be absolutely amazing for run time. It's shaped like a "regular" flashlight bulb so it fits into many different kinds of lights. I run one as a night light in a 2 x c cell light in my 6 year olds room, and it goes for weeks. Its not going to provide retina burning brightness by any means....but that thing will just keep on burning. It will still work when the cells get below .8 volts. I don't know if you can find a cr123 light that takes this style of bulb, but it would be worth looking.

If you're willing to go to a different battery type, another option might be the Princeton Tec Attitude which runs for 150 hours on 4 AAA cells
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Attitude_LED_Flashlight.php

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have found the Nite Ize replacement led/bulb for the 2-6 cell Maglite to be absolutely amazing for run time. It's shaped like a "regular" flashlight bulb so it fits into many different kinds of lights. I run one as a night light in a 2 x c cell light in my 6 year olds room, and it goes for weeks. Its not going to provide retina burning brightness by any means....but that thing will just keep on burning. It will still work when the cells get below .8 volts. I don't know if you can find a cr123 light that takes this style of bulb, but it would be worth looking.

If you're willing to go to a different battery type, another option might be the Princeton Tec Attitude which runs for 150 hours on 4 AAA cells
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Attitude_LED_Flashlight.php

I agree - this or one of the SMJLED PR based bulbs for a 2 cell light will run for a very long time. Not the size you were looking for if the Inova X5 is your reference point, but the NiteIze in a 3+ D Mag will run seemingly indefinitely.

How much light to you need, what is your target minimum runtime and what form factor will you consider? That might narrow it down some - as a Novatac on low will run for something like 45 days or so but you're talking less than a lumen on small pocket light. My Dereelight will run for something like 22 hours or so on low with the two stage multi power drop in (not digital) and you can use 18650s, 2xRCR123 or 2xCR123 in it, and it will put out a lot more light but run for not nearly as long.

Personally my long runtime light is a Nite Ize 2-6cell drop in in a 2D host (for the time being - may move it to a 3C...).

Latest posts