Feedback on Gerber Mongoose?

Light Head

Newly Enlightened
Came across this light in an REI store...very tempted.

Is this bright enough for most uses? Is the dial reliable?

I don't understand the long strap that comes with the light.

Any review/field test?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd stay away from most Gerber lights these days. They try to do too many things at the same time and fall short on all areas.

(The strap is an attachment device.)

Light Head

Newly Enlightened
I'd stay away from most Gerber lights these days. They try to do too many things at the same time and fall short on all areas.

Too bad. The size and the function is attractive to me...but utility and reliability are too.

Do you know of any other similar lights? Small reliable package for EDC, with White, Red, and UV LEDs? (And not too expensive.)

The strap is weird--it was in a clamshell package at REI, and I couldn't tell how to attach it to anything. I think there was a magnet too, and some Velcro. Either the designer is a genius that I couldn't figure the strap out...or the designer was tired and just included a lot of stuff on that strap. :thinking:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I dont think all their lights are as poorly made as my first Tempo 1AAA. That one was a dud out of the box, but I exchanged it and am overall happy with my purchase. I think you have to treat their torches case by case. The firecracker and IU (by contrasting example) have a very loyal following and a history of reliability here on CPF.

REI has a GREAT return/exchange policy. So get it at a local B&M only.

just my thoughts, I can't offer any first hand experience with that particular model.