P2D whistle !!!

Safety1st

Enlightened
I've just bought a P2D from Fenix and it whilstles !

When it's turned on, a high pitched squeal/whistle can be heard, that is continuous and very annoying.. :scowl:

Why? Will it go?

Do I need to send it back?

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
This is common. No need to send it back. There's a chance that, with use, it will go away or at least quiet down some. A lot of people don't hear it at all. It's a burden our (assuming you're below, say, 30 also) young ears carry :/

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a lot of handgun shooting with no earplugs, and your light's ringing noise will magically disappear! :) hahah

Sector7

Enlightened
I notice my L1D Q5 does the same thing, I have a feeling its the regulation circuit, its more pronounced when the batteries is getting low in the mid light level. :thinking: Don't notice much after range practice.

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
I would contact Fenix and get a replacement.
waste of time. supposedly they've fixed this issue on the newer models but I've gone through several l2ds that have the exact same problem. my d10 also whistles on high

Illum

Flashaholic
a chipped piece of ferrite or magnetic material lodged in the inductor can transform it into an impromptu speaker of sorts...its usually caused by improper handling in shipping components and its nearly impossible for manufacturers to notice because some forms of inductors are potted SMTs while others are shrinkwrapped. Since inductors still function with a cracked ferrite core it would be impossible to know which lights within the batch uses damaged components. :ohgeez:

you will notice the tune "bend" after the cells discharge to a certain level, different frequencies are present at different input levels and different frequencies carry different tones....heck, if you have a rare-earth magnet around [NdFeB, et al] you might be able to dampen the sound at the cost of random modes or a significantly brighter or dimmer light.

Last edited: