Dorcy 4 AA LED light......1st impressions.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

My wife just brought one home for me from Sears. Chunky little bugger, ain't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

41-2498.jpg

I guess these lights are what Dorcy "used" to call the Cool Blue, eh?

Anyway, never having owned one of these lights before, I thought I'd share my impressions of it:

First, it looks and feels very much like every other plastic "contractor grade" flashlight I've come across. It even smells like one too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's hard-to-miss yellow body will stand out, so you don't have to worry about fussing through the drawers, tool box or closet should you need to look for it.

Second, it's nearly indestructible. I kicked it down the stairs and threw it across the living room and watched it bounce off the wall. Other than a few scuffs on the rubber part, there is no visible damage to the body, and the light still functions.

Now comes my real criticizm of this light. It's very bright, but has the narrowest beam I have ever seen in my life. Personally, I would have liked a bit more of a flood effect, or at the very least, a beam similar to the ones produced by the Brinkmann Long Life and Rebel. Still, the Dorcy LED is still usable. The good part is that due to it's design, it has more throw than other LED lights I own. I don't know if it's just me, but 4 AA cells running one LED seems a bit much, but I expect it to have good battery life.

This is probably the chunkiest "task" light I will ever own (aside from the Brinkmann Long Life LED), but it will come in handy for those midnight raids to the refrigerator or having to go to the lavatory to "take care of business" in the middle of the night. Since I just got this light, I cannot comment on the battery life, but I expect it to give several hours of decent light before it starts to dim badly. Overall, it feels good in the hand, it's inexpensive, durable and despite it's narrow beam, it does have it's uses. Contrary to the marketing hype on the package, it is definately not the most advanced flashlight in the world, but it's not a bad light for $13 bucks.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
i've got a few of those around. they were $8 at wal-mart in pa. then went on special for$5 so i grabbed a couple more. the one i let the guys in the warehouse use looks kinda beat up but still works fine. haven't tried the everled in it yet because i like lights with faceted reflectors. overall a good deal for the $$.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
BigMac said:
Where did you get yours?

I want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sears carries them.

BigMac

Enlightened
I live in a town with less than 1000 people. I am Sears(/Wal-Mart/any major store) deprived
. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait till I make a trip to the big City...

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these as well. Bought it at WalMart over 6 months ago. I don't use it. The beam is too narrow to be of much use and has very little spill light. The brightness of the tiny spot it throws is good, matches the brightness of my MadMax in a MiniMag. The big difference is the MadMax lights up the entire room or path at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, the Dorcy only lights up a tiny spot of light you are moving around to try and see what is in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
trailstoride said:
I have one of these as well. Bought it at WalMart over 6 months ago. I don't use it. The beam is too narrow to be of much use and has very little spill light. The brightness of the tiny spot it throws is good, matches the brightness of my MadMax in a MiniMag. The big difference is the MadMax lights up the entire room or path at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, the Dorcy only lights up a tiny spot of light you are moving around to try and see what is in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The very narrow spot beam of this light seems to limit it's use, but it has the best throw of any LED light I have come across so far. I do find that the spill is adecuate enough to use when moving around the house or camp at night (once your eyes have adjusted to the dark). It may take me some time to get used to the narrow beam, but this light is growing on me more and more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rebus

Enlightened
Get a Dorcy 4AA Boss and put the
led into it. It's textured reflector
provides more spill and a larger spot.
$3.00 at Dollar General store.

-Rebus

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This looks just like a Turtlelight, except for the color.
LEDCORP licensed the bulb so Dorcy can use it, but that's essentially a Dorcy flashlight with an LEDCORP bulb in it.
A friend in Philadelphia got me one of these awhile back; I also have a review of the original Turtlelight if you want to read them.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Thanks for the links. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like those lights, but AFTER some work:
I put in a 3 cell bulb and drive it on 4 NiMH's or a 4 cell bulb and drive it on 4 Lithiums or a 4 cell bulb and drive it on 3 AA's and 2 N cells....I like the narrow beam for outside use vs. the wider beam on the Boss light for inside use.

In fact, anyone got an extra one they'd sell me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Is it possible to interchange reflectors between the Dorcy Boss and the Dorcy LED?

shrap

Enlightened
The battery life on these things is ridiculous.

I put dead batteries in it from other flashlights, and I can't tell the difference. It's probably due to its narrow beam.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It must not be this exact light though it looks the same (not at home right now).

I got mine off Ebay. I recall being VERY unimmpressed with it as it came... but not for long throw or too tight.

Mine has a KPR103, 4AA Alkys and some Writeright and is pretty good that way. The bulb from it is in my silly flashlight radio (4C) that came from Big Lots for emergency use. It would be useful in a blackout, but too many lights are better for fulltime use. (I particulary like my Litewave 2100 and my Brinkmann 2D 4LED!)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This was my first LED flashlight, purchased at Wal-Mart about two years ago for about $8,including batteries.. Of course since
finding CPF I've mysteriously acquired a few more. It hasn't been used too much and still has the
original batteries. That's not because I don't like it though. I doubt that many of us "collectors"
really use our lights that much, except for our Arc AAA's. Anyway, this light does have great throw
for a single LED and the spill is bright enough for walking around. I'd certainly recommend it as knockabout light for car, workshop, or toolbox. For the price it's tough to beat.

StuU

Enlightened
I've got one of these....not too impressed with the standard pencil-thin beam. I made my own bulb with 4 9200mcd leds in a copper base. Very functional and gets used every day around the house.

BigMac

Enlightened
I just got one of these today and was vey impressed. I sat in the bottom floor of a two story mall and could see the beam (faintly) on the ceiling. I love the distance it gets, but the spill light is a bit dimmer that the spill on my arc.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the bulb from my Dorcy Cool Blue into an Energizer Arc White, and powered it with lithium AA's. The lithiums make the LED burn a little brighter, and the beam is slightly wider and a little more useful in the Arc White. Spill light is also very useful...
This makes a very good long-run emergency light! The LED will burn for a RIDICULOUSLY long time with lithium cells! That, coupled with the longer run-time of the CCFT on lithiums, and the better extreme temperature handling ability of the lithium cells make this a very dependable, extremely long running emergency/glove-box light. FYI...

PJD

Latest posts