xm radio dilemma

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had xm in my truck now for a while, well last week my roady xt took a S**T, so i got one on the bay, and tried 3 times today to activate it, after a while i was told i need this

http://store.xmfanstore.com/sureconnect.html

It apperars that the cable slides over the antenna, WTF how can this be, i am sure this cant be the case where you would have a wire running from the antenna into the door seam to the inside??? WTf is up with this

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Roady XTs use that horrid SureConnect - thank the FCC for that.

The old Roady XT's had a phenominal RF modulator that was so strong you could broadcast XM around your neighbourhood....that's when the FCC rained on the parade and forced XM to significantly cut down the RF modulator. That's where SureConnect came in.

If you can, see if you can get the radio hardwired into your truck...you'll get better sound quality.

steed77

Newly Enlightened
I have an extra Defi Skyfyi XM(with all the junk) and am XM Commander.

The Rodie is not a very good unit.

If you are interested in a replacement...let me know. I can make you a killer deal

Skyfyi home and car kit 30.00
Commander XM car. 60.00

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still trying to get an idea of how the sure connect attatches, or should i just go with a unit like the one i posted a link to perviously

BobVA

Enlightened
In order of best sound:
- Direct audio hookup to the car head unit. If you don't have aux in jacks you might be able to get an adapter that connects to the external CD changer input (e.g. PIE Electronics, etc)
- Tape cassette adapter
- Direct FM hookup (using something like the box you listed above)
- External FM modulator (e.g. like the ones sold for the iPod) or the SureConnect hookup.

The SureConnect goes from a plug on the XM cradle to a little ring gizmo that clamps on the base of your FM antenna. It does require routing a (very thin) wire through a window or door.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last weekend i bought the XM audiovox fm direct adapter, after an hour re-arranging wires behind my dash, got it all situated found a nice spot to nestle the module in, now nothing works as far as xm is concerned, i then spent 20 min on the phone with xm and here i am, they concluded that since the xm unit is a newer one and that i still am trying to use the dock from the old radio, same model, thats why it does not work. They said i have to buy the kit, but i dont need the bracket,cig plu,antenna...just the dock that slids into the mount. WTF now what.?

any ideas now?

Last edited:

BobVA

Enlightened
Bummer - sounds like you'll have to replace the dock with one compatible with your new radio. The Sureconnect radios (like you now have) are not compatible with the older cradles. I'm pretty sure the only compatibility issue is with the FM modulator, but unfortunately that's the function you need.

See: http://www.xmradio.com/sureconnect/index.xmc for more information and how to tell the kits apart (particularly if you are shopping on the internet and may find older, non-Sureconnect kits).

Since there could be a number of problems that are causing the issue you're seeing, I'd recommend you pick up the cradle or kit from somewhere you can return it. (Other possible malfunctions could be a bad modulator in the Roady or a defective direct connect adapter.)

Good luck!

Bob

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't sound right.

I don't think there are any differences between the old and new Roady XT docks. The only difference between the old and new Roady XTs is that the new ones don't have the FM modulator.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i just got off the phone with DELPHI and they were more helpful to me in 2 minuites than xm was in 3 seperate phone calls. They said it sounds like the fm modulator in the unit might be bad, check it by plugging headphones into the unit, so i did and it worked!!! I doubt i can get my money back since i got it on ebay.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now that i know i need another radio, do i get one that is, or is not "sure connect

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any new radio available in stores is guaranteed to have sureconnect.

If you are going to buy a new radio, I would go with the Xpress R as a minimum radio. If you want an absolute bare bones radio, get an Xpress EZ.

Either way, you'll have to swap out the XT car kit for an Xpress car kit and then hook up the sureconnect antenna adapter or use the Audiovox FM direct kit if you still have it (it works with SureConnect radios).

It seems that with all the SureConnect radios, you have to buy the SureConnect adapter separately.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright, I kinda like the roday that i had, i mean since i have the fm direct adaptor already installed, is it going to make a big difference if i get a sure connect unit or not, i can get a good deal on a new non sure connect model though.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get a new non-SureConnect radio, go for it.

The FM direct adapter is the better option over SureConnect.
The FM direct adapter will work with SureConnect radios and any radio that has the FM modulator like your original Roady XT had.

Latest posts