HOW does a FLASHOHOLIC make it

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
How do you guys afford these 500 and 600 dollar lights i mean for g@wds sake where do you guys come up with the money.....do you sell your women and children to honduran slave traders (no offence to hondurans).....please someone explain...or buy me one:oops: was that out loud

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing as how people afford Ferraris and Lamborghinis.. there are rich folk who are flashaholics too :D

And probably some Honduran slave traders are flashaholics too :laughing:

For normal folk like me, I only have one light which I spent over $700 on... and I doubt I can justify another without first selling something (including my ***..ets.....)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well lets see... First +1 for the subtitle on SGT LEDs post about not waisting time or money on "cheap" stuff its the "cheap" stuff that will cost you the most in the long run and you will never get your money back out of it. That being said, I too cannot afford 800$ worth of flashlights each week. But I have found If you buy, or in my case build one or two quality lights at a time you can have them for a while and when you want a new one you can resell them for most or even all of your money.

Hope this helps:)

Superdave

Enlightened
it's all about knowing where to look to find the good deals..

also running a side business of selling performance chips for cars helps. :thumbsup:

stevevh

Enlightened
I just don't eat out 3 times a week, drink beer or smoke. That alone saves me hundreds of dollars a month. Also flashlights are a relatively cheap hobby, even the $600-$1000 ones. Try watches/knives or custom bikes. Serious cash!!! Don't worry, the sticker shock wares off after a while. I balked at the price of a ARC LS 5 years ago and it was only $180. :)

Steve

MWClint

Enlightened
it's all about knowing where to look to find the good deals..

also running a side business of selling performance chips for cars helps. :thumbsup:

mustangs/v6p/superdave?
if so, been a while! How are things? :)
seem to remember you did a stint in Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How do you guys afford these 500 and 600 dollar lights i mean for g@wds sake where do you guys come up with the money.....do you sell your women and children to honduran slave traders (no offence to hondurans).....please someone explain...or buy me one:oops: was that out loud

This type of question comes up from time to time. One thing to keep in mind is that this hobby is actually less expensive than other hobbies. Also, not everyone on CPF has lights in the $500 - $600 range. Personally, I don't use DX or KD. But many CPFers do. You can get lights that are bright as Hell and dirt cheap, if you're willing to sacrifice quality; and sometimes wait a long time for your order to ship.

There are other ways to save money. Many CPFers have put together very nice collections by buying from other CPFers, over at the MarketPlace. Can't afford a new Surefire model? Head on over to the MarketPlace, and you might be able to snag a like-new Surefire at a good price. That's what I did, when I needed Surefire parts to assemble a Leef-bodied M4. Found a Seller who was parting out his M4. I snagged everything I needed, someone else got the M4 barrel. I saved a sweet chunk of money on that deal.

The flip side is, if you buy an expensive light and you don't end up using it, you can sell it to another CPFer. You can use the money from that sale to finance your next purchase of an expensive light. This is why you see a lot of sales threads for Surefire lights and parts. Sellers know that Surefires sell. Especially since Surefire refuses to allow their Authorized Dealers to discount. That makes the MarketPlace one of the best places to both sell and buy Surefire products. Naturally, other brands can be sold to finance future purchases as well.

Another good thing about the MarketPlace is that you can get in on promotional events that various Distributors and Companies host for new flashlight models. I was one of ten lucky CPFers who got an Olight M20 Warrior at 50% off, thanks to a promotional event held by Olight and Battery Junction. (I have to admit, that was a sweet deal).

Some CPFers go for quality over quantity. They might not have a lot of lights or buy new lights often, but the ones they do have tend to be more expensive.

On a personal note, I save up money for future purchases. My job is only barely decent, at best. I don't make a lot of money. But I put aside a bit for my flashlight budget after each check gets put in the bank, and after the bills are paid off for the month. Set some money aside for savings. And the rest is Mad Money. A big chunk of which gets used for new lights. To be honest, since I don't have a wife or kids to take care of; I have more Mad Money to spend on lights than someone with a similar job and a family.

When it comes to Birthday's and Christmas, I normally get money from my relatives and friends; instead of actual presents. Used my holiday money this past January to buy a Surefire M6. But I do tend to draw the line on full-blown custom lights. Just not in my budget.

As you can see, there are plenty of ways of getting some of the more expensive models out there. Sometimes you just have to wait until you can save up for one that you really want. And check the MarketPlace often.

Hope this helps. :)

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dive light (all of my dive lights added together ) only represent a very small % of my investment in equipment.

I drive a very cheap car by the way.Very very cheap.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I add from my experience with alot of lights is the battery's cost HEAPS :( Especially if you upgrade to Lithium.

Then take into account when you need to replace some bad SLA's.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One thing I add from my experience with alot of lights is the battery's cost HEAPS :( Especially if you upgrade to Lithium.

Excellent point!

As strange as it sounds to any non-flashaholic, the best way to save money on expensive primary cells is to buy in bulk over the internet. And it's also best to buy lithium primaries that are Made in America, due to Q.C. issues.

A case of Made in America Rayovac brand CR123 cells will power a light just as well as Panasonic brand.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
A case of Made in America Rayovac brand CR123 cells will power a light just as well as Panasonic brand.
The Rayovacs are made in the same plant as the Panasonics.
Ditto for the Surefire and Streamlight CR123s.

In general, finding out who actually makes a cell can save you some coin if you can get the same quality/performance for less $$$.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drive crappy cars (10+years old), have holes in my underwear (ain't gonna show ya!) and live like a dog (use the car to gather road kill)--but I sure do have some fancy lights!!:D

Karl

EDIT: Finding and collecting light has become my "main" hobby. I don't have fancy cars, a huge home, expensive vacations, smoke, drink, etc. I guess the lights have become a diversion and past time.

Last edited: