My new EDC - UltraFire WF-606B CR2 lite

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ultrafire1.jpg

Namely, UltraFire WF-606B. Modded Seoul Emitter USV0H, properly heat-sinked. It's about as bright as the Fenix L2D-Ce that just self-destructed.

It's a twisty and has just one mode.Theoretically, should be more reliable than a clickie. In practice, I have a feeling it's another disposable lite that will probably run for a year or so. That's OK, I just need something until the SureFire gets here.

The really cool thing, I can use 2xAA tube or 1xCR2. The latter has some pretty intense output for its tiny size. I dont' think I've ever been impressed so much by anything, the output/size ratio is crazy.

What I like about this lite is that the 2xAA body is composed of the tube (shown) plus the CR2 body, so that when you run AAs in it, you don't have any extra parts to worry about .

Also shown is Malkoff M60, it will become a part-time EDC when I get the rest of the stuff. Like 9P + not sure what body I will get, but leaning towards 2x18650, which I know is pushing it for EDC.

Questions:
1. Where can I find a holster for the CR2 configuration? Something not necessarily on the belt but inside the pocket, so it doesn't get lost.
2. Charger and RCR2 cells?
3. In 2xAA config, will it run on L91s?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: My new EDC - a CR2 lite

1. That CR2 light looks an awful lot like the Jil Lite from several years back. http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fifth/jildd.htm
If you find holsters for a Jil your UF should fit. Alternatively the Fenix P1's holster may work, though slightly too long.

2. RCR2 and a charger can be had from the makers of the Orb Raw, Lummi.

3. Sure, why not?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
$39. In the classifieds section of CPF.
That includes a $10 "an upgrade to Seoul Emitter USV0H, properly heat-sinked (stock emitter isn't)" and some extra cells.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is, in all of its glory.

Some more conclusions a day later.

CR2 is very small, fits in the coin pocket of jeans. Very hard to hold on to. I've come to the realization that I like 2xAA form factor best. Although CR2 can have its uses when you really need something small or discreet. The really cool thing is that the 2AA body is made up for this extension tube *and* the CR2 body, so that with full size 2AA, you don't need to carry a special body for CR2. Neat.

Run time wise, CR2 "sucks". On cheap Chinese cells with some use on them, I got maybe 50 minutes. I think it can over an hour on a new CR2 from a better maker.

ultrafire2001.jpg

Lumens wise it appears to be very similar to the older L2D-CE. Maybe a hair brighter. These are Eneloops and they had a bit of use. I wonder if L91s are any brighter.

ultrafire2003.jpg

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice... looks like a serviceable tool, I think an RCR123/2AA configurable setup would have given you better run times in the smaller configuration. CR2 cells (even primary CR2) aren't supposed to have much capacity and are more expensive. Thanks for the impressions and pics thuogh:) As much as I like my various RCR123 setups, its hard to fault the convenience of a good 1 or 2AA light.

Thats a lot of stuff in your garage... time to get that M60/2x18650 setup to really see where you're going!!:poke:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true. But I specifically wanted a CR lite, because I have another device that runs on CR2 and have lots of cells I want to be able to use.

I almost cross-threaded the tailcap yesterday - actually it went in right but upon twisting out got stuck. I think the thread got damaged a bit. It's too soft. Fenix has much better threads and harder. I don't think I will ever get anything from DX.

I know I can get much better CR2 lites.
It's perfect actually, not expensive.

It's my backup lite anyway, until the SureFire gets here.

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Seems like a decent backup light.

I ordered a SF backup as a backup :D. Sorry corny, I know.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It's true. But I specifically wanted a CR lite, because I have another device that runs on CR2 and have lots of cells I want to be able to use.

I almost cross-threaded the tailcap yesterday - actually it went in right but upon twisting out got stuck. I think the thread got damaged a bit. It's too soft. Fenix has much better threads and harder. I don't think I will ever get anything from DX.

I know I can get much better CR2 lites.
It's perfect actually, not expensive.

It's my backup lite anyway, until the SureFire gets here.

Its not DX's fault... they are just the retailer. DX does sell some well machined lights, you just have to research to know which ones to avoid. I dont think ANYONE has ever really praised any of the Huawai lights for their thread quality (or lack there-of). The Solarforce lights have a loyal following and are seem to be one of the better DX brands, for example.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the same lights, but in stock form. It's cute. It's small. I'd like it more if I could actually carry the thing.

As far as I can tell, the design relies on insulated threads. There's a spring in the tail end, so the negative end of the cell is always in contact. It's supposed to turn on only when the end is threaded down all the way, and the bare edge of the tube touches the head. Unfortunately, the anodize wore off in spots around the threads. Now it never turns off completely. It flickers whenever you wiggle it. Leave it in your pocket all day, and the cell is dead before bedtime.

Anyone know a quick and easy fix for it?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a quick and easy fix would be to remove the cell, which I know may not be an option.

I EDCed a Fenix for a year and after one year of every day use, it died...( This will be the 2nd time I replace the Fenix BTW --- the first one died within a few weeks of usage, also the engine like this time).
I think this UltraFire lite will last a few months at best. It's the modus operandi of DX-type lites (and cheap chinese consumer goods in general) Cheap initial investment but constant replacement. Buy an expensive model and you cry only once.

No way will I rely on something like that when the circumstances demand reliability.

But as a backup piece, it's nice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Solarforce lights have a loyal following and seem to be one of the better DX brands, for example.

And with Solarforce, it depends on individual models. My Solarforce L600 is a very bright piece of junk. Recently replaced it with a Leef-bodied M4. Both lights fill the same need, but what a difference!

My Solarforce L2 host w/ Solarforce R2 drop-in is a great SF 6PDL clone, even with the reverse clickie.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a Jil and the only real drawback is that they are a bit tricky to use one handed due to the small size - which seems counterintuitive but there is only so much real estate to hang on to when trying to operate the head.

I think that a 1xAA tube for a 14500 would be a nice solution assuming the light can take RCR2s....