Rayovac 1aaa penlight

ufd538

Newly Enlightened
I know y'all here are focused on power, but I have got to give props to this light. I bought it at Wal-mart after I lost my fenix e0 and was waiting on my e01.

I only visit the forums rarely, you may remember, I originaly visited as a locksmith looking for something a little better than a dorcy aaa flashlight as they eventually get to the point where you have to tap them on something to get them to work, or perhaps beat them on something. Many of ya'll wanted me to get some high priced light and send it to be modded, but some of you realized I didn't want anything amazing, just something for close-up work that would be bright(for close-up work), use a AAA(common), and last a good while, in which I was directed to a E0. It worked great. But going from job to job, they do get forgotten and misplaced.

Now I was delighted to see the release of the E01, cheaper, and brighter. As I said above I picked up a rayovac AAA penlight at Wal-mart for 2.96, while waiting for the E01 to arive. I was not expecting much, at least not anything more than the energizer penlight which is garbage. I bought and energizer some time back with it's thin plastic threads, and while playing with it on the way home, the threads were ruined, and the light would not hold together.

While I think the E01 is a great light, when and if I lose it, I will be buying more of the rayovac penlight. It has a click on and off, and I have had no problem thus far with it...yeah it may not be quite a gentle on batteries...it is probably not regulated, but it is more affordable to lose. I have however, still not lost my E01. But I have still got to give props to this $3 flashlight. However, the rayovac AAA light that is similar to the dorcy, is also $3 and is complete crapola.

The bad is the penlight is about 50% longer than the E01, and battery life as stated above is not the same.

The good is $3 for this light.

The good or bad...good for me....Is that(forgive me if I do not use the right terms)...it has a brighter center or spot, and very little spill. this is very nice for looking in a keyhole. The E01 has a very even center that blends nicely into the spill and then fades evenly out from there.

this light, with it's bright center(brighter than an E01) and little spill is just as well suited for me as the E01 at a fraction of the price....just wanted to give this light the props it deserves, as it seems noone else has.

So as I am occasionally absent-minded, or so busy with work that I lose my light....I can lose 4-5 of these before it costs me what an E01 does, and these don't seem to have the operational problems that some budget lights do....I think it is a bargain.

But I will also use my E01 proudly until I lose it, but after that, I may never buy another one. It is somewhat pitiful that I am that sure that I will eventually lose it.

Not to cause confusion...rayovac has the penlight which I speak so highly of and also a dorcy-esque aaa light which is the one I said is complete crapola. The latter is very finnicky out of the package, and requires tapping and very small adjustments to get it to stay on....but the penlight gets an A+ from me. both lights are $2.96 at the wal-mart....but hey, for that price, they can't get them both right, can they?

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem with your logic is that its the same logic you use when you don't get a small child something nice because they will break or lose it. Losing something expensive isn't really the fault of the light, its the fault of the person who loses it. I mean ipods and nice watches are easy to lose too. However, as far as the light goes, sounds like an interesting product, you should post some comparisons. For a long time rayovac was in the same league as dorcy and many of those no name brands, but they have been pulling a head a little bit as of recent especially with their extreme series.
EDIT: Also, if you like cheap lights check out the mini review i posted recently of a cheapo light I got from rite aid for 4 bucks, I was quite impressed with it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207423

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is another "not so bad for the price" light that resides in my car for map reading and such. Loudest clickie around.

Geoff