P61L

IcantC

Enlightened
That's like asking is the world round? No one knows :D

It will come out, one day some day. I bet it will be a Q5 and will come out when there are Q10s pumping out 500 lumens :D.

dougie

Enlightened
I can't say I'm bothered now. Originally I was really looking forward to Surefire releasing this module and I definitely would have bought a few. However, unless the P61L can bring something new to the table that a Malkoff M60 doesn't I'm afraid that they have missed the boat.

However, I'm not surprised that the P61L has not appeared as Surefire does have a lot of other ongoing projects which I think take precedence over the introduction of a new stand alone lamp module. From a business perspective it would seem sensible to avoid spending a lot of time and money on the P61L when they need to get new flashlights onto the market?:D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I think it's dead on the table due to heatsinking concerns.

To have enough heatsinking their drop in would have to look too similar to other's products and they can't stand the thought.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what you've gotta remember though. The CPF is a relatively close-knit community. For the everyday joe who goes to buy a SF from a brick-n-mortar, and sees a whopping "200 lumen" upgrade next to the lights, he's likely to buy regardless of whatever else is out there. He's probably thinking, "Well I can choose between SF and some guy named Malkoff" which is a shame because I agree with other's posts here and own a few Malkoff's myself. Let's hope this isn't so, and that Gene gets the exposure he deserves before the P61L comes in and destroys the competition.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Surefire design better than most of the aftermarket drop ins. I am in for a P61L when they are available. I emailed them on Wednesday morning, but Surefire has not yet responded to my inquiry about the availability of the P61L.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I bet you never ever hear from them either.
I have a total of 5 ignored E-mails as of last week. You just HAVE to call them.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually they reply within 2 or 3 days, this is the first time I haven't gotten an email reply in quite awhile.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I emailed SureFire a while back, I actually got an answer almost seconds after having pressed the send button!

I was really surprised by this! And a bit sad when they told me that they didnt have any time plan at all to when they might be releasing the P61L.

All this new SF products that havent come out yet has only made me stop being a Flashaholic...Im not even EDCing a light anymore!

I might be cured "when" SF releases their new products :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest that if SureFire have a proto-type P61L at their booth for the SHOT Show 2009 then there is a chance they will release it before SS2010.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
All this new SF products that havent come out yet has only made me stop being a Flashaholic...Im not even EDCing a light anymore!

I might be cured "when" SF releases their new products :)

That is so sad, and no cure n sight!!! Looks like it will be a slow, cruel, lingering illness.

Bill

txgp17

Enlightened
I'm done waiting on P61L's. I already have 7 Malkoff's.

The only benefit I see to having one is that it will fit in the spare carrier.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hoorah for Malkoff!

Surefire would be wise to just buy malkoffs and not burn up anymore R&D money trying to make good drop-ins.

Honestly does anyone here think Surefire could do better than Gene?

LumenMan

Enlightened
Hoorah for Malkoff!

Surefire would be wise to just buy malkoffs and not burn up anymore R&D money trying to make good drop-ins.

Honestly does anyone here think Surefire could do better than Gene?

I honestly don't think that there is a better design than Gene's M60 :thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Here's my thoughts:

The difference between LOLA and HOLA lamps in the incan line, is not really throw, but total output, spread out into a wider beam.

I would not doubt it if they were planning to replicate this in the P61L, which means they need a small multi-die emitter...

So yea, I'd say expect it to have that new MC-E (or something like it) if they ever do come out.

I agree though that sticking to their standard lamp design on this one is not going to work well when taking into consideration thermal issues, very curious to see what they will do with that.

Eric

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only benefit I see to having one is that it will fit in the spare carrier.

That's a really big plus in my opinion.

I agree though that sticking to their standard lamp design on this one is not going to work well when taking into consideration thermal issues, very curious to see what they will do with that.

I've found some of the current drop-in designs to be somewhat unreliable in operation, especially under hard use or daily operation. I'd rather have the outer spring there to make sure it is making good contact with the body. SF's design seems to be the more reliable design than the typical LED drop-in "pill" for lack of better term. :popcorn: