Wider beam lights?

bbarel

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to get a 2xAA Q5 CREE light with a wider beam better suited for general use/camping/bike mouting, as opposed to a tight spot light.

Can anyone recommend some specific lights for this purpose?

Thanks...

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the upgrades for the minimag have alot of flood.I have one of the older terralux with the 1w luxeon and it has flood like nobodies business.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choose a light that has a small diameter reflector and one that's not particularly deep, like the Fenix P1/2/3D or L1/2D. Those all have a relatively large spot and spill. Get the OP reflector rather than smooth one. I put a piece of Scotch "Magic" tape over a P1 which I modified with a Seoul LED, and it's great for walking or camping -- it'll light up a whole camp site. This trick works for most lights, and it reduces the total light output an unnoticeable amount - just 10 - 15%.

OLight has managed to get a small spot with a small diameter reflector, so I wouldn't recommend them for your purpose.

Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) LEDs are generally more floody than Crees, and about as efficient. So any light you can find which has an SSC rather than Cree LED is likely to be closer to what you want.

c_c

DM51

Flashaholic
The Surefire F04 beam diffuser will fit any light with a 1" dia. bezel, including non-SF lights such as Novatac. It gives a very good diffused flood beam, and you can just slip it on and off as required.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Zebralight H50 & H50 Q5.

-----

Mule.

-----

I covered both sides of my M@glight lens with Glad Press n Seal.
Filter-for-mag.jpg

Before beamshot.
Filter-none-MgP7.jpg

After.
Filter-MgP7.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A diffuser might work too.

How wide a beam?

A smaller shallower reflector will give you a wider beam and more spill(less output in the hotspot though).

:welcome:

Latest posts